advice needed

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dvrdwn72, Apr 29, 2012.

1. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

I need some input on a decent reloading scale, digital, accurate, not too expensive.

2. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Look for one on MidwayUSA.

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Most people will tell you that you should spend a minimum of $90 for one.

I don't think that's true at all.
    I've had this one:
    http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/GT1250
    for two years. It is the same one recommended by Brian Enos on his site (or was at least when I got it). It is always dead accurate.

I purchased a set of check weights to verify it was weighing accurately (usually using the set that will/should generate 3gr or 4gr, depending on the load). Once I verify the scale is weighing those correctly, I move forward with weighing my powder.

All digital scales can be affected by drafts, or a shaky table. So be aware of those factors.

4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I am using the Dillon D-Terminator and it works very well. It's $139.95 plus $14.95 for the protective cover. Call and make sure the cover is really an extra. I just can't remember.

The load cell in all digital scales is a very delicate assembly. You absolutely want a protective cover.

Richard

5. fredj338

fredj338

I'll disagree. While I haven't tried that particular dig scale, I have yet to see a dig scale much under $100 that is repeatable & reliable. Until that is proven to me, I'll stnd by that statement. The Dillon is great, the RCBS is very good, the noew Hornady may be. Cheap & quality rarely go together. The question needs to be asked why BEno longer endorses that particular scale.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Well Fred, then I guess this is the first time in your life that you are wrong.

Uniquetek isn't like Midway in that they will sell *anything*, even substandard stuff. They only sell quality items.

As I indicted earlier, Brian Enos himself sells this same scale and recommends it:
    http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_be.html
    Brian only carries stuff he stands behind. If it is good enough for him, it's good enough for me. His price is a little higher, but that is the same scale sold by Uniquetek for $9 less.

Each time I prepare to use it, I pull out the check weights. If I have the 2gr and 1gr weight on the scale, it says "3.0 gr". It comes with a 50gr checkweight, it weighs that correctly. When I first got it, I weighed multiple combinations of check weights... great results.

I haven't been reloading for elebenty bajillion years, but the mantra that you HAVE to spend $100 for a quality scale is pure bunk.

7. fredj338

fredj338

Well, "pure bunk", maybe, maybe not. If that particular scale holds up, then there is one model that is under $100. SHow me more, they aren't there. I have the cheap Hornady, junk. I have used the FA, cheap lyman, Cabela's, all junk compared to the Dillon or RCBS. I have no doubt most dig scales can hold 1gr accuracy, but how about 1/10gr over & over & over. That is repeatable performance that is lacking in 99% of the cheap dig scales. Maybe that particular one is the exception, test it for real & let us know. The next thing you are going to tell me is the Lee beam scale is a great product?:wavey:

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I have a similar scale by the same manufacturer. It is reliable and repeatable. I have checked it against check weights and it is within. .1gr.

9. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

I'm not looking for 100% accuracy to the thousandth of a grain.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

If I was going to buy a digital for powder I would get a corded one and just leave it on all the time. I use mine to weight bullets so it doesn't. stay on all the time.

11. fredj338

fredj338

And even 0.005gr accuracy is wasted, why a lab wuality scale accuracy is wasted on reloading IMO. Now repeatable 0.1gr accuracy, yeah, it needs to be that good. A 0.2gr+/- doesn't cut it w/ some powders having a load range of only 0.4gr from min to max.:wow: Scrimp on dies, press, but not your powder measuring equip.

12. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

My personal preference is for one of the various Ohaus derived balances. I just don't trust a digital scale in the range that is typically used by reloaders. You don't need lab quality in terms of significant figures, but you do need lab quality in terms of long term consistency.

13. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

exactly, now how about answering the question. got a brand? if I was looking to get by with cheap crap I wouldn't be asking on here would I? I'd have ordered some $10 Walmart crap.

14. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

15. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

I was surprised that my Dillon was made by Ohaus. I thought Dillon made all of their own stuff.

16. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

I use the bathroom scale for my loads... might as well, I'm never going to stand on it.

Jack

17. Kentguy

Kentguy

18. fredj338

fredj338

Well maybe read the posts?? In my previous post #5 & #7 I said: Dillon & RCBS, maybe the new Hornady. BTW, you did imply cheap.
    :dunno: A bit snarky aren't we??

19. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

I don't really see the need for a Digital power scale. First off a Digital scale will need a power source which you can't always have and a Digital scale isn't any more accurate then a regular balance scale IMHO. I've been using an RCBS 5-0-5 for close to 25 years and it's still going strong. Personally I'd not waste my money on a Digital scale, just buy a quality balance scale and don't look back.

20. Taterhead

Taterhead