Advice needed, which GLOCK 9mm?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by viking18, Mar 13, 2005.

1. viking18

viking18

Hello everyone,

I know, yet another "help me decide which gun to get" question.

I am hoping to buy a new GLOCK in the near future and I know that I want a 9mm. It will be my only semi-auto so it will have to serve several roles. I like the 17 because it fits my hands really well, however if Nebraska (where I live) actually passes a CCW law this year, I hope to have a gun for that purpose as well. If not, it will be for home defense and the range.

I realize that it is possible to conceal a full sized GLOCK but would the 19 make this much easier, or is there really much difference between the two?

My gut says get the 17 and worry about the rest later, or should I plan ahead?

If you are so inclined, please offer me some input and/or advice on this matter.

Thank you very much.

2. dao

dao Brrrr.

I don't think you can go wrong either way... the 17 and the 19 are both very nice guns.

Have you put them side by side at your dealer's? There is very little difference in size... I'd go with the one that fits your hand better.

Personally, the 17 fits me better. Not a problem to conceal.

3. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

Trying both grips is a good idea. The G19 has a shorter barrel/slide and smaller grip. The G19 size fits me better than the G17 size and the G19 does conceal better.

YRMV.

4. Esox357

Esox357

Viking, I have my fingers crossed as well for them to pass it here in Nebraska. I owned the G-17 and loved it to death. The best firearm I owned hands down! It was accurate, durable, and ran flawless. I acutally never even field stripped it until my buddy showed me how, after thousands of rounds through it. I found brass shavings and fouling caked in the firing pin chamber but that glock kept on going and didn't let me down. I carried it for work for four years. I regret selling it. For the time being I would buy the G-17 and if the law gets passed carry it until you can finance a g-19. Esox357.

5. modgun

modgun CLM

;Q

Cross your fingers but dont hold your breath!!!!

Smaller hands = 19
    larger = 17

6. hank327

hank327

I have a G-19 and it is just fine. However, I like the way the G-17 fits in my hand better. If I had to do it over again, I would get the G-17 over the G-19.

I have no problem concealing a 5" Colt Government model with an IWB holster. The G-17 is the same size and lighter so concealment should not be a problem.

Get the G-17 if you like it best as it will conceal just fine.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

The grip on the 19 is a wee bit small for my hands. The 21 (which I own) is a wee bit big.

I have a 17 on the way. Shot one recently, it was just right.

For conceal carry, the G19/G26 (with +0 Pearce) are my preferred choices.

'Drew

8. PAGLOCK23

PAGLOCK23 NRA Member

I just had to make the same choice yesterday. I wanted to get a 9mm but couldn't decide. I had the guy at the gun store put all 3 on the counter. After feeling all 3 I ordered the G19.

9. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I would get the G19.

10. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

11. HULK17

HULK17

I prefer to carry full size handguns.I've been carrying a glock17 for a while now, prior to that I carried a 1911 fullsize for several years. You should get what ever you feel most comfortable with.
    Hulk

12. fowler

fowler

When it comes down to one pistol for everything the G-19 gets the most votes. Good CCw and range pistol ,combat,house ,duty,does well in all. The swiss-army knife of 9mm,s.

13. Al U. 5811

Al U. 5811

I own a 26 and just picked up a green 17 as a welcome home present to myself. I don't have huge hands but both fit me well. I think that the 19 is the best of both worlds. Compact enough for EDC yet still versitile enough for heavy range work or duty. I would have been happy withany Glock as opposed to the problematic 92 i had as a backup.

S/F
    Al

14. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

Go with the 17, you can conceal it when needed, if the law passes. Its what im getting wheni get back, I used to have a 34 that I sold (mistake), also shoot the hell out of my Dad's 1st gen 17. There great guns, easy to find mags for as well. Just use and IWB holster and you shouldnt have any problem. Its what im going to carry, that and probably a j-frame for when im not carrying.

15. CGuns

CGuns

Get a G17. Best Glock ever made IMHO. The model that started it all and that has survived the largest amount of torture, too.

CGuns

16. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

I'm in the exact same situation (I live in NE, too) and am planning on buying a G19.

17. viking18

viking18

Well, my 9mm buying plans have run into a small problem. I thought I was going to sell my G35 but it fell through. In case you were wondering, I have decided to go with the 17 if I ever get rid of the 35.

On another note, for my fellow Nebraskans, I have been in touch with my state senator, Mick Mines, and he is against the CCW bill. His reasons are not very valid in my opinion but to each their own.

18. Rigormootis

Rigormootis Semper Gumby

I agree with much of what has been said above - go with what fits your hand. I wanted a G34 for the longest time (and the 17L before that), but the grip on the 19 felt MUCH better in my hand. FWIW, I currently carry a G29 and I almost picked up a G26 for "those light days." Instead, I picked up a G19 and a S&W 3913. The G19 is now my nightstand gun (w/ surefire x200) and the S&W 3913 will become my "light days" alternative to my G29.

;c

19. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

20. viking18

viking18

It appears that I might have a buyer for my G35 so the 9mm may be happening after all. I have found a place in eastern Nebraska that will ship one in for $20 and then charge me $499 for the gun. With tax am figuring that it will gun me about $550 or a little more. How does that sound? This will be the first GLOCK I have baught without some sort of LE discount. If any of you know of a better deal in NE, please let me know.

Thank you all again for all your great advice.