Advice for Newbie re Misfeeds and Shooting Techniques

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JRD, Mar 20, 2010.

1. JRD

JRD

I'm a newbie to Glock and to this forum. Just tried out my new G19 with mixed results, running a box of CCI Blazer ammo through it. I prepped it before shooting per the owner's manual instructions.

Several misfeeds on the first magazine which I attributed to faulty loading technique as the problem diminished with the second and third magazines. Accuracy (5" paper plate at 25') was good on the first mag but lousy on the second and third mags. I don't think it was limp wristing as I've not had that problem with revolvers and .22 semi-autos, but it's possible.

My questions -- Could improper loading of the magazine have caused the misfeeds? Can you advise or direct me to a good source of information on proper magazine loading and pistol shooting techniques? Other comments or advice that may be helpful?

Thanks, JRD

2. jchadscud

jchadscud

Had similar results with my brand new Gen 4 G17 on my first trip
    to the range. No FTE's but several misfeeds across all 3 brand new magazines. I completely blame the new shooter and not the equipment, but I'm interested in what you guys have to say to JRD and new shooters in general.

3. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

Thats not the best ammo. Also "slap" the back of the mag to seat all the bullets at the back of the mag before you load it into the gun. Also glocks dont function well to "limp wristing" aka a weak grip especially with new springs.

4. bentbiker

bentbiker

In a similar thread, a member posted a pretty thorough list of suggested videos:

5. firedawg60

firedawg60

6. mboylan

mboylan

Proper magazine loading? If the magazine wasn't clicked in, it wouldn't work. Your problem is related to your grip and the low power ammunition you are using combined with a really stiff recoil spring.

9mm Glocks are sprung at a high weight from the factory. This results in some unreliability if the shooter is in a self defense situation where he cannot maintain solid grip or locked wrists.

As the spring wears, the gun will become more forgiving.

I do understand that the spring weight is what it is to counterbalance the striker spring as the recoil spring wears. This is just an inherent flaw with striker fired light framed pistols shooting lighter power ammunition.

If you shoot +P or +P+ ammunition, the problem will probably go away.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  7. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I don't think the gun's inherent accuracy went downhill between the first and second/third magazine loads. So I'm calling it a loss of concentration (or a combination of many other factors) on the shooter's part.

There are a ton of posts on GT regarding diagnosing your shot placements against what you may be doing wrong.

Half the fun is in learning. Good luck.

8. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Take a basic handgun class at your local area. First hand teaching is the way to go.

9. JRD

JRD

Thanks all for the advice. I intend to take a Defensive Pistol Class. In the meantime, I'll check out some of the videos posted by bentbiker and work on my stance and grip. JRD

10. mayhem23

mayhem23 Far East Sailor

Good videos posted by Bentbiker!

11. JTknives

JTknives

Its funny because i have never had a problem Limp Wristing but i took a girl out shooting last night and she was having this problem with some hot 135gr nos and the slide was not returning to full battery. i would slap the back of the slide and she would take a shot. I look at her and say you know "you have a limp wristing problem" she looks at me with this weird look like "what did he say" :upeyes:. I then had to explain it because she was thinking something completely different :rofl: