GlockTalk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Anyone have experience with Rocky Mountain Bullets? They have FMJ bullets shipped for 8.8cpr...which is not much more than coated.

I've "read" that fmj can be a bit easier to load...but I don't know that. I bought some Xtreme FMJ that were on sale, and I'm probably going to some Rocky Mountains because they seem like a good deal and ship free.....in about 10 weeks.
I use RMR bullets a lot. I always get the added insurance for like $4.00. Other than that I like their bullets and use the 124gr 9mm Match winner bullets the most. The look just like the Hornady Action Pistol (HAP) bullets, and are a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Yea, I watched that video a couple nights ago. That guy is obviously a reloading wizard who makes it look really easy, but I was encouraged by how easy the die setup seemed. I can do that stuff.

Also, he’s pulling the handle at a steady pace, cranking out rounds with no case feeder. I’m definitely not starting with a casefeeder, so my little 7ft ceiling is not really a big issue. I can use a strong mount if I want.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Best/efficient brass cleaning process? Whatcha got? I don’t want to waste much time or money making squeaky clean brass.

Also, would you recommend sorting cases and and sticking with one brand when I first get going? Does it really matter?

I’ve got a total of 4K xtreme bullets, 6lbs of powders, 2k spp, and 3 manuals on the way. Next week I’ll get on the long Dillon wait list.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,243 Posts
I use an ultrasonic. 16 minutes, 300 cases look like new. If you don't want them as clean, use an 8 minute cycle. Or, if I put 450-500 in my 900 case Lyman cleaner, I can run 16 minutes and get them pretty clean. After rinsing off and air-drying overnight, I spray with One Shot.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Also, would you recommend sorting cases and and sticking with one brand when I first get going? Does it really matter?
Read the ABC's again.

Look at what he has on the end of his arms.

This isn't a question someone who hasn't loaded before should be asking-- if you're going to question and second guess what you read, why are you wasting time reading at all?

Why are you asking us anything if you aren't going to read what we suggest?

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,243 Posts
Oh... I sort cases. Sitting in front of the tube doing it now.

I'd say most don't sort, but there are some problematic cases with my 147s that I have to cull. Also, some is "stepped" and frequently avoided.

When I work up a load, I use new Starline, but then sorted brass as well. Probably wouldn't hurt to use one headstamp to work up a load, but at least use quality brass like Blazer, Federal, or a couple others.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,243 Posts
Read the ABC's again.

Look at what he has on the end of his arms.

This isn't a question someone who hasn't loaded before should be asking-- if you're going to question and second guess what you read, why are you wasting time reading at all?

Why are you asking us anything if you aren't going to read what we suggest?
Having a bad day?
:eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Oh... I sort cases. Sitting in front of the tube doing it now.

I'd say most don't sort, but there are some problematic cases with my 147s that I have to cull. Also, some is "stepped" and frequently avoided.

When I work up a load, I use new Starline, but then sorted brass as well. Probably wouldn't hurt to use one headstamp to work up a load, but at least use quality brass like Blazer, Federal, or a couple others.
Thanks, that’s what I figured.

I’m asking these questions because you all have been very helpful, and I appreciate that. I have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Best/efficient brass cleaning process? Whatcha got? I don’t want to waste much time or money making squeaky clean brass.

I’ve got a total of 4K xtreme bullets, 6lbs of powders, 2k spp, and 3 manuals on the way. Next week I’ll get on the long Dillon wait list.
Squeaky clean brass is not needed. Simplest is a vibratory cleaner with a mix of corn cob and walnut media. I use the pre-treated Lyman media. Others here can give advice about additives if you get untreated media.

Wet cleaning gets cases cleaner. More steps, and expanders/funnels cling to squeaky clean brass.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,243 Posts
Well, I got one on the way.

What would you recommend?
I've got ABCs on Kindle. I think it's rather dated.

I am a complete anomaly and have but one (other) manual... Lyman's 49th. I think others have already recommended a few on here.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I don't try to pick up range brass unless it is brand new and a shooter is leaving it behind. I also make sure it has a reasonable headstamp and the proper primer size (LPP for .45 ACP). I have 10 gallons of well used .45 ACP brass so I'm not hunting for any more.

We got a donation of a couple of thousand .40 S&W brass, Federal, and shot through Sigs. That was a decent start.

I didn't have 9mm when I started loading for my wife's P365 so I bought a couple of thousand Starline.

For rifle, I use either Winchester for M1As or Lapua for bolt guns. New brass, store bought. I haven't found reclaimed machine gun brass to be an acceptable way to load for the M1As.

I tumble with walnut media and Dillon Polish in a large Dillon Vibratory cleaner. I have also used a Thumbler's Tumbler but it is too small. When the wife and grandson shoot Action Pistol along with me, we're going to blow up 1000 rounds or so in a single outing. It seems like a lot but with an open and hot range and only 3 shooters, the biggest time sink is reloading mags. We can empty them pretty darn quick.

Three 12-round .40 mags - 36 rounds every time up and they're empty in less than a minute. Times 3 shooters!

If I were starting out and considering the crap brass available on the ground, I would buy Starline. Maybe only 1000 at a time to help with cash flow but that brass is going to last for a very long time. I have brass I picked up off the ground (before I knew better and long before crap brass became common) back in the early '80s. Still works fine.

Don't overthink the problem and don't always look for the cheap way out. A lot of our .40 brass came from store bought Federal before we got the huge donation. We bought Federal for the brass instead of Blazer for the price.

If you ask the opinions of 3 reloaders on any given topic, you will get at least 4 different replies. This reloading thing isn't brain surgery, don't overthink it!

I have the ABCs and I didn't find it overly useful. It is very dated and I prefer Hornady (which I also have on Kindle) and Speer. Sierra for rifle...

I pick up my own brass so I don't worry about headstamp. Where I shoot, there is a $150 clean-up fee if you don't police the range. As a result, it's pretty hard to find brass laying on the ground.

So, since I only pick up my own brass, I just sort by caliber.

https://www.midwayusa.com/media-sifters/br?cid=19909&targetLocation=/_/N-0+4294959923+19909

I also try to tumble by caliber. There's nothing worse than a 9mm jammed into a .40 jammed into a .45. The sifters don't work anywhere near as well as the sales literature says.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
One reason I don't sort brass: I don't care about absolute accuracy and, since I no longer compete, I don't care too much about velocity for power factor.

I'm shooting for an 8" circle at a maximum of 10 yards, more often within arm's length. Definitely close quarters and absolute accuracy doesn't matter at all.

I still load for the high end and I try to match some variant of factory ammo but the absolute numbers are unimportant.

I like to put the 'practical' back in 'practical shooting'.

Reactions: George Kaplan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
The brass I have now is mix of once fired fed, win, blazer, with a bit of aguila...that stuff has a funny crimped case to prevent bullet setback. Idk about that aguila brass, but I’ll definitely sort this first batch out by head stamp.

It’s not easy to find starline now, but I’ll get a batch sometime to try out.

I like to put the 'practical' back in 'practical shooting'.
I like that philosophy.

Thanks for the advice, F106.

Here’s a Glock specific question that I’ve read a lot about over on Enos Forums, and maybe you guys have some opinions/feedback - Glocked Brass. The unsupported chamber in Glocks can cause bulged casings, most notably in 40. From what I’ve read this isn’t much of a problem in 9.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Here’s a Glock specific question that I’ve read a lot about over on Enos Forums, and maybe you guys have some opinions/feedback - Glocked Brass. The unsupported chamber in Glocks can cause bulged casings, most notably in 40. From what I’ve read this isn’t much of a problem in 9.
Ignore all of that noise. WAY overblown. Often people just repeat what they read, and this crap perpetuates. Load to the manuals and you'll detect zero difference in reloading procedures.

I don't let my Glocks read the internet, so my 10 and 40 cal Glocks don't know that they are supposed to bulge brass. Shhhhh! Don't tell them.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
@Bigblue9, did you see this?

Dillon RL-550C: Unboxing, Overview, Setup, Loading Rifle and Pistol Ammunition

view: https://youtu.be/ACs8WW0Y2dU
I wonder how we ever got those machines set up before the Internet? It turns out, the manual is pretty comprehensive. It's especially useful when it's read.

In my view, his bullet box/tray is suboptimal in that it causes a really awkward hand motion when fetching a bullet. Around 14:00

Small things matter!

·
NRA Member
2,671 Posts
I shoot what I brought/bought/found at the range.....I'm just a plinker so brass doesn't matter to me.....I just love the bang and smell of powder.....makes my reloading very simple.....just the way I like it.

121 - 140 of 163 Posts