Advice for new dog addition

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by jasonb, Jun 24, 2005.

1. jasonb

jasonb

Hi guys,
    Today my wife and I rescued a beautiful 13in. beagle(male) that is about 2 years old to become a friend for our 11 month old yellow lab(female).

He is very shy. They seem to get along well, but I am in search of any advice to help them and us adjust.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

My wife and I just rescued a 7 year old female Doberman and adopted her. We also have a 1.5 year old male Doberman.

The introduction was with both on a leash, in rather neutral territory (in front of the house, on the sidewalk).

Monitor their behavior. Especially if the new dog seems unusually shy (a POSSIBLE sign of neglect, non-socialization, etc.). Most dogs should be fairly outgoing with other dogs and people. Watch them interact and correct negative behavior from either dog quickly and authoritatively... re-establish that you are the alpha in this recently grown 'pack'. Do not hit while correcting... to dogs, someone who resorts to hitting is seen as an incapable, un-trustworthy, figurehead leader. Not a TRUE leader.

Do NOT leave them alone, within reach of one another for awhile. If our dogs aren't monitored for more than 15 minutes, they're seperated. Eventually, this will change and they can be together 24-7, but for the first few weeks or days, depending on the individual dogs, follow the above advice.

Give one a treat, give both a treat. Feed at same time and monitor them during this time. Seperate bowls by a few feet so neither feels threatened. Take long, controlled walks with both of them together to rid themselves of un-directed energy... and make for easier discipline should the need arise.

Contact your local shelter and ask some Q's.

3. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

definitely follow deucedobe's advice.

after a little while, they should become great friends/companions :)