close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

advice for glock mods

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glockprime, Jun 26, 2002.

1. glockprime

glockprime

i'm sure this topic has come up before, and as a new member, i've spent the last month or so reading thru old posts, and there's a lot to read! :)

anyhow, i have a glock 35 and 36... both are first and foremost defensive guns... however, i love to modify things... the trigger job by CGR sounds very good... my question then is what are the mods that can be done w/ benefit w/o compromising the reliability/safety of a defensive glock?

2. Lew-G17

Lew-G17

This is one of the areas where everyone has an opinion so I'm sure you will get lots of different advice but here's mine. For a defensive only handgun it's hard to beat a stock Glock. I have a G17 and it has been rock solid reliable. I feeds all brands and types of ammo faithfully and has not had a failure to feed or fire of factory ammo in over 2,000 rounds. I just bought it in February. Reloaded ammo may not be as reliable as I have had a few minor problems using reduced power reloads in matches.

If you just got to tinker, then a 3.5 LB connector, with an extended slide and mag releases, are simple modifications that IMHO make the pistol more functional, I just don't think the 3.5 LB connector is all that good for a defensive gun because if you are not careful you could have an accidental discharge. (I know, don't put your finger on the D--N trigger until you are ready to fire, but in a high stress situation people do strange things.)

Things like polishing the feed ramp and the various friction points in the trigger mechanism are also good for smoothing out things.

Overall there are lots of good web sites, books, and videos about the Glock pistol and the gun is very easy to work on if you have mechanical ability.

Good luck and have fun.

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

*Stainless Steel Guide Rod

*Agrip

*Night Sights

4. glockprime

glockprime

i already have a captured ss guide rod, ismi spring, trijicon night sights, and jentra plug... i tried the agrip - it's kinda nice, but honestly i didn't like it that much... i'm now thinking about work from CGR etc... but first i want to hear everyone's opinion...

5. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

I talked to a Glock Armorer and he said that the improved guiderod is not any better than stock. Anyways, Polish your contact points inside for the trigger. I did mine and it smoothed all three out to perfection. Just remember, polish not remove metal.

6. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

If you can justify the $ and want a Superb trigger/action job get Teddy Jacobson to do it. He only does action work & sork suitable for the street. He did my 34 a couple of years ago and knocked off an entire Lb. without resorting to lighter springs, mushy connectors
    or changing angles, etc. using only the stock parts.

www.actionsbyt.com

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

The G-35 already has the 3.5# connector in it. If it's going to be a defensive gun, leave it alone. The more you modify a Glock, the less reliable (as a rule) they become. The only guns I've seen fail at a GSSF shoot are the "made better by the owner" ones.
    I've got a G-34 that I shoot in USPSA production class, with a crisp, 2 1/4# trigger pull, but I stress that this is a COMPETITION ONLY gun. If it fails, the worst that I can get is a penelty for "failure to engage". In a defensive gun, a F.T.E. could cost a life...YOURS !!!!
    The G-29 that got used for my carry gun in the gunshop was box stock w/500 rds break in with no failures. If a defensive gun won't go a 500 rd test period, I won't carry it.
    I like myself un-perforated!

uncle albert