close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice for 22LR Handgun

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by miamiglock19, Feb 9, 2010.

1. miamiglock19

miamiglock19

Hey guys,

So I've been hoping to get my hands on a converter kits for my 19 but apparently all of you guys beat me to it and its damn near impossible to find one. :dunno:

I'd like to get myself a 22 handgun to keep my costs down at the range and was hoping to get some expert advice from you guys.

Thanks in advance

2. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

I would suggest that you wait for the Advantage Arms .22 kit to be available. While there are certainly better .22 pistols, but those are great training tools since you use a familiar grip, trigger, sights, hold, etc.

If you're determined to get a .22, Ruger makes good ones: the MKII and MKIII. I have heard a few complaints about the MKIII, but mine hasn't been any trouble. I bought the cheapest one (the 22/45), and I don't like that I can't change grips. As a shooter it's great, accurate and reliable, but it doesn't fit my hand as well as I'd like. I shoot most of my rimfire rounds through my AA conversion kit which fits 2 GLOCKs I own- the M19 and 23.

3. miamiglock19

miamiglock19

Thing is I've been "waiting" to get my hands on a converter kit for more than 6 months already. Although I know the converter kit would be the best to train for the glock, I'm getting impatient lol so I figured I might as well by another gun to train with in the mean time and save some money.

Any idea when they'll start selling the converter kits again?

4. jeager

jeager

stainless ruger. bull or fluted

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I had a nice Ruger Mark II Government Model. {The one with the slab-sided barrel.} It shot better than I could. I hear Ruger {or a third party} makes a pistol that takes the 10/22 magazines. Which opens up the options for aftermarket magazines.

The best thing is to get one that feels good in YOUR hand. I know I always use that same line. But I think it is the best advice.

I had ?Ramiline magazines that were made for the Mark II that used a "constant force spring". Basically, it was a rolled flat piece of metal that unrolled as the follower was pushed down. One magazine held fourteen rounds. The other held fifteen. Both fed like a dream and were easy to load, because the spring pressure on the follower stayed the same all the way down.

6. professor gun

professor gun

I have some Ruger .22LR semi-auto pistols; Standard, Mark I and Mark II. All are outstanding guns. I have had them for years and they always function even when cleaning is neglected for too long. My one complaint on them is the difficulty in disassembly and reassembly for cleaning but you adapt to that.

I got a Browning Buckmark last June, so far it has worked flawlessly but it has been only a short time.

I have two S & W 22A pistols. I have had to replace the plastic buffer and the recoil springs on these on a regular basis, usually about once per year. As these parts wear the gun starts jamming. I think I am going to try to sell them to someone I don't know.

7. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

+87

My baby was stainless.

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

8. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I may have said some bad words to Baby during cleaning. I was tempted to get a muzzle guard and just forget the tear down for cleaning.

9. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

I have a Ruger Mark II Govt. Model with the 6 7/8" (?) bull barrel in stainless steel.....VERY accurate..........flawless functioning........great gun. Built like a tank.

The disassembly isn't very hard....it's just different.

10. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I got a Beretta NEOS U22 6", I like it. No problems with it yet. Been shooting sub-sonic .22L/R reliably. PS: Pretty easy to clean too...

11. RustySocket

RustySocket

My opinion... there is none better than a MKII govt. target.... the Browning is a strong second.

12. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I didn't think of this. If you have a Walther P99 or the new PP380, how about a P22 for familiarity of use with that family of firearms? Also, the P22/G22 make a sweeeeeeeeeeeet combo for a walk in the woods plinking and stuff.

13. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

ruger browning walther ect

14. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

You may or may not have seen the new Glock look alike 22LR, but I would steer clear of it. The one I bought is about as bad as the P22 I had. Apparently, they were designed by the same guy and suffer from the same deficiency. No workie workie.

15. F_G

F_G

I have a Browning Buckmark, 5" slabside that has been flawless for close to 15 years, and a Browning Buckmark Varminter with 10" bull barrel that has also served me well for 20 years. Have had a couple of Rugers that were both accurate and reliable, but they just didn't feel as "comfortable" to me. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

16. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

17. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I will add my vote for the Ruger if you want an auto. Also, the Smith&Wesson 617 revolver IMO is one of the best non custom .22 handguns out there.

18. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

I'd love to find an original old S&W K-22 again, I had one in my youth and not sure how it got away from me. I guess my father sold it, which means it really wasn't mine, but I always looked at it as mine, then it just disappeared, just like my old Browning 12 guage automatic 3 inch magnum did back in the 60's, I always loved that gun too. Dad bought me a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 guage, but I missed my old Browning. Never the less we were talking about .22's ... I loved the Smith K-22 ... I had tons of fun with that gun and killed many water moccasins with it, and more than my share of nutria as well. It was a shooter, it hit where it was aimed at. I'd love to have that gun back. I have no desire to covert my Glock to shoot .22's .. I want a dedicated .22. How about the new Smith .22 wheel guns, how are they working out for those of you who have them?

19. Resqu2

Resqu2

I borrowed a S&W Model 22A with 7" barrel, I'm not a good pistol shot by any measure but I can't miss with this thing. I found one for $230 and will probably go get it.

20. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

I have a Smith and Wesson 22s (stainless 5.5" bull barrel). I love the thing. You do need to keep a handful of those plastic recoil buffers laying around. Have never had to replace my spring. May look into that.