close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice/ crossover gun for sub/heavy metal

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I was at the match yesterday and saw alot of guys shooting Heavy Metal div. and I thought it looked pretty fun. So with that being said now I am trying to figure out which glock to buy to shoot with in the "Subcompact" and "Heavy Metal" divisions. I already have a G34 for UL, 22 for UL, 35 for UL, 17 for AmCiv, and a G24 for comp but I don't want to shoot the same divisions at every match with the exception of my G17 in AmCiv. Also my father wants to start competing after he watched the match yesterday so I got to have a gun for him as well (he owns a Berreta 92:crying:). So to the point, what Glock model do you suggest that I shoot as a crossover gun for the Heavy Metal and Subcompact divisons? I thought about a G38 but the ammo cost is a little high for as much as I shoot. Thanks in advance guys.:wavey:

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i use a 30/36 hybrid for both. Fixed plain heinie rear and a plain AmeriGlo front. Trigger by Ed, skate tape grips. 200 gr. Precession Moly bullet 4.6gr. WST. I was shooting 4.3gr. of WST but had problems with it in cold weather so I bumped the charge a bit. i use G30 mags for MSub/HM and G21 mags for Sub. I sucked yesterday shooting it but have had quite a few scores in the 60s in Sub with it and in the 50s and 40s in HM, on a good day. Before this gun I was using a G39 and G27. Used the G27 for a lot of indoor GSSF, never got a 500 with it but a boat load of 498s. G27 is the only frame size I never shot a 500 with.

3. mike g35

mike g35

Have you had any experience with the G38 or the 45 G.A.P. in general? Can you go into a little more detail on the G30/36 hybrid you mentioned?

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Mike, be sure you understand that the G38 is Not Legal in SubCompact. If you have any doubts as to what models are legal in any category just look at one of the registration forms and it list all guns that are legal for each category.

Don

5. mike g35

mike g35

I just read that, my fault I should have read the rules a little closer. Well then it would seem to me the G36 is the way to go. And sure enough my LGS has two in their case. Luckily this gun will also (most likely) take the place of the S&W442 I use for home defense and as my carry weapon. I think the G36 lends itself well to all of these applications. I was also looking at a G29 10mm but it just didn't make any sense to me because of the price of the ammo. Thanks guys looks like their's a G36 in my very near future.:supergrin:

6. Don At PC

The G36 is also NOT Legal in SubCompact or any category but H/M.

Don

7. mike g35

mike g35

Sorry about that Don. G30 sound better? I had the G36 on my mind. If not what model would you suggest?

8. Don At PC

The best for both SubCompact and H/M would be the G30. The G29, G30 and G39 are the only ones legal in both categories. If you shot the G39 in SubCompact you would have to use G37 mags in order to have 10 round capacity.

My best advice would be to take a deep breath, slow down and shoot a couple more GSSF Matches till you know more about what's up. If you want to shoot another category pick another one where your G17 is legal. Actually your 17 would serve you very well in Competition instead of the 24. The 24 is a great Glock but is only legal in UL and Competition.

Don :faint:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  9. mike g35

mike g35

What you say makes alot of sense but the reason I am rushing is I need to get a gun for my father to shoot and I want a sub-compact for carry. I figured he could shoot one of my Carver Custom UL guns and one other division. I actually enjoyed the G29 I used to own but the 10mm is an expensive beast to feed. It's probably a good idea to slow down though, you're right. The match yesterday has me chomping at the bit to shoot again and I want to shoot 3 divisions next time instaed of 2 but I have the guns to do that already. Thanks for helping me slow my roll Don.:embarassed:

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It's hard to beat a G26 in Subcompact Category and a G30 in Heavy Metal Category. You have to decide which suits you best, a G30, G37/G38 or G21 for Heavy Metal Category. The G38 is my all time favorite Glock.

You could buy ten G17 mags for your dad and share the G17 at matches.

11. Don At PC

Okay one other suggestion or "Food for Thought".

You say your dad wants to shoot 2 categories, one being UL at the next match and you want to shoot 3 categories one being UL at the next match, right? Okay you register to shoot AmCiv with your G17, Competition with your G17 and UL with your G34. This would be all 9mm and the closest to the exact same feel of gun for all 3 categories. Let your dad shoot the G24 in Competition and either the G35 or G22 in UL, this would be all .40 S&W and also the closest to the exact same feel of gun for both categories. After you get a few more Outdoor GSSF Matches under your belt you should be able to make a much more informed (by experience) decision of any other Glocks you want to get for GSSF.

Does this make sense? A logical step by step approach so that you know through experience just the Glock you need. Not trying to discourage you from getting more Glocks as they are Great and definately not discouraging you from buying more Carver Goodies, because they are the best on the market. They are designed and tested by some of the best shooters around.

I will get off my soap box now, I have posted enough. Good luck and will see you at Lexington.

Don

12. SARDG

SARDG

Ed- Talk of the 30/36 comes and goes on GT, but what specific advantage do you feel you get with that? I've got both so could put one together... but why? Apparently there are no Rule issues there?

I shoot the 30 in MSub/HvyMtl right now - and have not shot SubCompact.

13. ede

ede Bama's Friend

all Glock parts, just like shooting a G17 barrel in a G17C in ACiv or Master Stock. 30/36; less mass on the slide, higher slide speed, recoil pulse is quicker and perceived as being less recoil, and it let me run some pretty wimpy loads in the past without problems.

14. SARDG

SARDG

I guess all of that matters to 1.93 plate-shooters, but I'll take any advantage I can get, too. Now I have to put sights on the 36 slide. :crying: So the frame is the 30 so you register it as a 30. Any ROs look at the slide and then the double-stack and wonder?

I'm shooting factory loads and a recommendation by Butch. Win USA45A, 185 gr. Montana Gold bullet. Have already forgotten the vel/PF - but they work well.

15. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Your dad can use your guns. I share my gun with nephew when I go to the Atlanta matches. Another reason not to use a holster but a bag. Just give bag to your dad and he then pulls the guns out.

16. SMLR

SMLR

I agree with Don. This would definetly be the way to go.

I shoot a G17 in Master Stock, Competition, and Civilian. I shoot Master Stock first as a warm-up, take a break and let someone else shoot, and then shoot the other two entries consecutively. I usually just shoot three divisions, but occasionally I do bring out my G30 and shoot it in Sub-Compact and Major-Sub (now “Heavy Metal”).

17. ede

ede Bama's Friend

no one has ever noticed or said anything. i have skate tape on the slide of all my GSSF guns so the 36 is covered.

18. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

The models 29, 30 and 39 can be used in any and all 7 GSSF divisions.

19. mike g35

mike g35

Well I certainly don't know much but I do know when someone shoots the plates like Ed did saturday you should listen to what they say. Thanks SARDG for elaborating on the frame being a G30 and the slide being a G36. That gun sounds great but for me I would think a plain old G30 would do the trick and get me into two more divisions as well. And thanks to you to Danny and Ron that's exactly what we just discussed and plan to do sort of. Truth is for some reason I shoot a 40S&W better than a 9mm so dad gets the 9's and I will be shooting the 40's except for the G17 for CivAm that we will share at our next match. I will buy as G22 for CivAm and a G30 for Sub and H. Metal later but like Don said I am not going to rush anything until I get a few more matches under my belt.

20. mike g35

mike g35

But sometimes I get the uncontrollable itch to buy a new Glock and it happens more than you think. Think about this........ I have been shooting all my life but only one year with a Glock and I already have a G34 racegun, a G22 racegun, a G35 limited racegun, a G17 and a G24. And all my raceguns cost me at least $1500 minimum. So as you can see I am a man who loves to buy guns. The G30 can wait but I know me and if I am shooting a 40 in 2 divisions I will want one for the other division (AmCiv) that I plan to shoot. So the new G22 is probably right around the corner.