close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Adventures at the Pawn shop

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 01coltcolt, Nov 10, 2017.

1. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Happy Veteran's Day GT! I was out running around looking at guns. Kind of a boring lazy day. I stubbled into a pretty darn good deal. I was staring at the pistol grip poking out on a shelf behind the counter of a local Pawn shop. I ask the man behind the counter what it was he said its a old Colt. So he shows it to me. It was a 1877 Colt Lightning in .38 LC. It was in decent shape so I checked the s/n for manufacture date and it was made around 1898. I ask if I could check the action and he said sure. It was jacked up. It didn't work in single or double action and the hammer wouldn't stay back at all. I was kinda disappointed.

He said we have a few more of those around here some where. I said can I see them. Ihe was in the back for about 10 minutes and brought out a set of 1877 Colts one in .38 LC and one in .41 LC. I have a few of these already so I know what there worth. I checked the actions, s/n's, and condition. I was quite pleased with both. there was no prices on either so I ask how much for the .41 Thunder knowing it was the most valuable. They range from $1000-2000 in good working order and I placed this one in the $1400 range. He said he could do $500 because they have been there forever. So I quickly said I'll take it. I slipped in there would you take $900 if I buy both and he said sure why not.:dancingbanana:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cool little collection
    [​IMG]

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

I never see anything like that. I'd bought them and they aren't anything I'm into. I think you made out pretty good today.

3. pgg00

pgg00

Some of the deals you guys find are amazing

DKSmith45, dp509, jim1117 and 6 others like this.
  4. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

5. Alabusa

Alabusa

Sweet deal! Did you wall out in a hurry just in case he changed his mind?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

happyguy and Gray_Rider like this.
  6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I find many interesting things in Pawn Shops in my area. I never find good guns or good gun deals in my area.

Few Pawn Shops are allowed to buy/sell guns here. This isn't considered the second most liberal state for nothing!

Just Glocks, Gray_Rider and B C like this.
  7. fatduk1963

fatduk1963

Nice you better get a lotto ticket

dp509 and Glock40man like this.
  8. Glock40man

Glock40man

Well done.

Congrats!:cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just Glocks likes this.
  9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Great buy. I don't know anything about them other than what I've read in books. So feel free to post a lot of pics, maybe a video, and educate us about these guns you have :)

Just Glocks likes this.
  10. gunowner1

gunowner1

No go at my local pawn shops. They all think their guns are made of gold and price them that way. One guy had a Gen2 G17 that was horribly refinished and was asking $500.00 for it. He said there aren't many of the Gen2 G17s left. I almost fell over when he said he refinished himself to add value to it. I went to my LGS and found a very clean Gen2 G17 for $350.00 OTD.

janice6 likes this.
  11. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

I really like this place cause they have been in business for 50+ years and have lots of old stock and lots of new cool guns too. They had a SA SAW sitting on the counter. The guy I was dealing with is the owners son. The Owner Ron has got to be in his 80s and he still works there. Really neat place. He had to have known what those where worth. He said not much interest in these except to collectors and I was thinking to myself, lots of collectors, for gods sake sell them on Gunbroker.

12. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

The model 1877 was introduced in 1877 as the first double action Colts ever made. They were offered in .32 Long Colt (The Rain maker), .38 Long Colt (The Lightning) and .41 Long Colt (The Thunder).
    These where immediately picked up by the US Army at the time under contract but discontinued due to the springs being some what delicate and not easy to repair. But they where a huge hit on the civilian market. They where loathed and bragged about by many Lawmen and outlaws some of witch noted in many books and loving this platform where Pat Garrett, Billy the Kid, John Wesley Hardin, Cole Younger and lady bandits Belle Starr and Pearl Hart, to name a few.

They are well balanced and fit in your hand really nicely with their distinguished "Birds head" grip. The .32 LC (Rain Maker) was discontinued the first year of manufacturing 1877. Rain Maker, very rare and very collectible they have sold as high as $45k at auction. These are hands down my favorite old Colts. I was even lucky enough to acquire a few years back, a .38 Lightning s/n 1495 first year run with the original rose wood grips fully intact and the action works perfect.

Pics of the two I bought today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  13. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Here is the one made in 1877 I had it lettered by Colt. 3" barrel model called the "Store Keeper" It was shipped to Schulyer, Hartley and Graham in NY City, 4 July 1877.
    [​IMG]

Benchrst, orangejeep06, ede and 7 others like this.
  14. grecco

grecco

Thankyou for sharing.
    They are beatiful.

15. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Could you have put the first one back in working order? He would have probably made you a good deal on it.

01coltcolt likes this.
  16. 1L26

1L26

Doc's guns as I recall!

Ya done good. Cool find!

Just Glocks and 01coltcolt like this.
  17. bac1023

bac1023

Very cool indeed

Congrats! :cool:

18. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

I have been watching YouTube videos on the repair on these for a few hours now because I was thinking just like you. They look pretty complicated but it is possible. Still researching.

willie_pete likes this.
  19. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Its funny cause I got the one made in 1877 in Valdosta GA where I was stationed from 2008-16. Guess where John Holliday grew up? Holliday spent a large portion of his childhood and adult life in Valdosta and has many family ties to that area (His father was Henry Burroughs Holliday, former mayor of Valdosta). Some of his distant relatives still live in Lowndes County today.

orangejeep06 and 1L26 like this.
  20. steve1911

steve1911

Great deal for sure.
    Cool.

1911club#410