close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Adoption

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PaleRider505, Mar 30, 2012.

1. PaleRider505

PaleRider505

My wife and I adopted our son 3 1/2 years ago (he is 5 now) and we are in the process of adopting two brothers (age 2 and 3). The first process only took about 3 months. The current process is taking quite a bit longer(patience,patience,patience). I want my sons home. I was just sitting here looking at pictures of them and wondered how many of you have adopted or were adopted yourselves. Hope everybody has a great day. The weekend is almost here! :supergrin:

2. heliguy

heliguy

We adopted my 10 yr old daughter from china Dec 1 2002. I would have adopted the whole orphanage if possible. Best $30,0000 we ever spent!

3. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

My wife and I tried like heck to have a baby after my first tour in Iraq. She lost our baby daughter in the womb at 7 months along in a rare occurrence that almost took my wife's life as well. She was no longer able to get pregnant after that incident. We adopted our son from birth and he is now almost 5 years old. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life. :cool::wavey:

4. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

Just yesterday I ordered an information packet from WARM, Washington Adoption Reunion Movement. I was adopted at birth and have decided that it's time to find my birth parents. I've never known a "blood" relative and can't shake the want/need to do so.

5. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

My neice is adopted. I think it's an amazing gift of love in all directions!

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I'm adopted, my two brothers and sister are adopted, and my only cousin on my dad's side is adopted. If (and that's the world's biggest IF right there) I ever have a kid, it will be adopted.

I love my parents, and they were always very open about everything, never tried to hide it, which I appreciate and respect very much. I do know my biological mother, and she's a great woman as well. No one knows who my biological father is besides the vaguest of generalities, so that's a no-go. Doesn't bother me a bit.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I wasn't adopted but I was raised by my Grandparents.

I never wanted kids myself but I have the greatest respect for people that open their hearts to adopt a kid/kids.:)

8. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

That is very admirable and I commend you. Seriously. People be making too many people in this world. Adoption must be a responsible, gratifying decision.

9. SonOfMallNinja

SonOfMallNinja

Yup, our two youngest were adopted as infants (both girls). They're now 21 and 23. It's single most worthwhile thing I have ever done as a human being. Also the most difficult, but truly worthwhile endeavors aren't supposed to be easy.

10. oldman11

oldman11

I was adopted, and I heard all my childhood "we adopted you and we didn't have to, so you should be beholding to us". Not a happy childhood.

11. 427

I was adopted at birth by two of the greatest people I'll ever know. While they are not my biological parents, to me, they are my real parents. My older sister is adopted, too.

12. PaleRider505

PaleRider505

Thank you all for your responses. It's sometimes difficult to have a discussion with someone about adoption that hasn't experienced it or is close to someone that has. I don't think of my son as being adopted unless someone brings it up, which I'm ok with. He is my son. I love him just as much as I love my two birth daughter's. That is something I struggled with. I questioned rather or not I could love an adopted child as much as a birth child. I knew I could love him, but could I have an equal amount of love for him. That question in my mind went away the moment I laid eyes on him. We hear a lot of "Those boy's are so lucky to have you" comments. Maybe so, but not near as lucky as we feel to have them. I didn't have the greatest childhood either, and I have no doubt that parenting can have an affect on how a child ends up as an adult, but I also believe that we get to a certain age where we can say, "I will see to it that my children will never go through what I went through." Maybe kind of one of those "happened for a reason" situations.
    Now if I can only stop thinking about, "My oldest is 18 and my youngest is 2. I'm never gonna be able to retire", I'll be alright. :faint:

13. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis

I had a real long response typed out but couldn't bring myself to post it. For us adoption has been one of the best and one of the worst decisions we ever made. We adopted two boys from Russia about 8 years ago and they were relatively older by adoption standards when we adopted them. The entire process has been one of the most rewarding and dreadful experiences we ever had. Our older son had some medical issues that caused him to be diagnosed ADHD. Both boys spoke Russian and we spoke English so the language barrier was significant in the beginning. Looking back we should have only adopted one child but I let my wife talk me into it. If I had to do it over I would do it entirely different.

14. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:agree: Well said :number1:

:50cal:

15. VA27

VA27

My dad and his sister are adopted. My son is adopted. One of his sons is adopted. The only downside to adoption, especially when you get older, is the past medical history of your biological family. It really helps to know if there are 'things', like a genetic predisposition to heart problems, cancer, etc.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

1 adopted, foreign born. 1 biological.

There is no difference.

17. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

no immediate adoptions in my family, but I have friends who were adopted.

God bless the birth mothers (and fathers) who want the best for their babies and a bigger God Bless going to the adoptive parents who can't have biological children and open their hearts to a baby/child and give them an amazing life.

SOOOO many great stories out there.

To the OP.......that's amazing stuff there.......good luck to you and your family. Your little guy will be thrilled to have 2 little brothers........LOTS of shooting buddies you will have some day!!!!!!!!! :supergrin::wavey:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  18. PaleRider505

PaleRider505

Well, we made it to Sturgis, SD. I'm one hour away from meeting my sons for the first time face to face. I'll admit that we're a little anxious! :nailbiting: