close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Adoption: How old is too old?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Glock Bob, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

I recently bought a house and have a pretty large backyard. I already have an indoor cat but would love to get an outdoor dog. I'm a fan of more manly dogs like Labs, GSDs, Huskies, etc. I like to peruse my local shelter's website to see what they have. Currently they have two that I am interested in: a black lab and a GSD. The lab is 6 years old and was surrendered because her family just had a baby. The old owners even payed the adoption fee, so I believe there would be no fee involved. The German Shepherd is 8 years old. She appears to be very healthy and happy. I'm torn between the two, but it's even worse that they are older adults and may not have much more time on this earth. Do you guys think that they are too old or that I am just being paranoid? Also, which one would be better suited for me? I've read that labs tend to get bored easily, especially by themselves outside for extended periods of time (say 6 hours or so).

2. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

I don't know which would be better for you.
    Neither dog is too old, there is still plenty of love in both of them.
    God will Bless you Ten Fold for taking Care of one of His Creatures.
    John

3. Akita

Akita gone

Never too old. Never.

Anyway you could save them both?

4. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

over 8 weeks old and under 20 .

never tooo old;)

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

We have a resuce cat we don't know the age of, but we guesstimate around 18-24 months when we got her. It didn't really matter to us as she just needed a home :) My neighbor is the same way: somebody dumped a kitty at one of her friend's--he was estimated to be about 14 when she took him in for shots.

I also say the age isn't that important :)

6. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Never too old.

Why outside only dog? Why not get him (and you) some training and let the dog live inside with the rest of the pack?:freak:

7. xcop

xcop

I have a GSD that will be 14 in a couple of months. Still plays ball in the backyard and although she has slowed down slightly most people think she is about6-7 yrs old. I had another dog that lived to 16. The beauty of an adult dog is you know they are as big as they will get and you know their personality.

8. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

Neither are too old. My personal preference would be the Lab.

John