close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Adopting a Stray Dog: Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Matt VDW, May 15, 2006.

1. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

Today my wife brought home a stray dog. He was found in the street, tagless, by one of her co-workers, who kept the dog for two days before deciding that she couldn't keep him with her five cats.

Is this a bad idea? Kepler (his new name) appears healthy and reasonably sociable, but I have to wonder what sort of diseases and/or parasites and/or bad attitudes he might have picked up while living on his own. I'm also wondering if he ran away just recently and his original owner is still looking for him.

Kepler is a young dog, probably eight to twelve months old, with short, brown hair and a "beaglish" face. He's already neutered and seems to be housebroken.

Assuming that a check-up at the vet's office doesn't reveal any problems, is it reasonable to expect that this stray dog can adapt to a new home?

2. tomkatz

tomkatz

I've had good luck with strays.....I found lucee at around 1 year old, dumped in the woods and pregnant. We went through some of the usual stuff but she turned into a wonderful dog. I have placed a couple others I found with friends and they have done great as well.

I use my judgement as to trying to find the original owner. In lucees case she was flea infested, had some open wounds on her, was VERY hand shy, and just looked like she had not been treated well. So I just kept her.
    Here's lucee!!!!!

[​IMG]

3. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

A feral dog who has never known human companionship would be tough but possible. That would not be the case in your situation. Being healthy and reasonably sociable, he has just lost his home one way or another.

In my opinion, strays that find a loving home usually adapt well. The fact that your wife brought home a dog instead of medical bills for dog bites tells me he will probably be fine.

Good luck,
    John

Oh, I forgot to add....
    :needspics:

4. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

The vet gave Kepler a clean bill of health... and also estimated that he's much younger than I thought. Based on his teeth, he's only about 10 weeks old! The vet thinks he's a boxer/beagle mix -- I guess that makes him a "boggle". :supergrin:

Pics will be posted when I can get that darn mutt to hold still for the camera. ;)

5. FlaFF

FlaFF

Both my girls were "found" they're doing great after several years. Can't beat a mutt! :)

FlaFF

6. hankhan

hankhan Guest

I adopted one I found in NY city (Manhatten) when I lived there. Good dog - I trained him to crap in the doorways of shops I didn't like.

7. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

May God Bless you for helping one of His creatures.
    My wife brought home our first stray on july 4th 1993.
    She was going to the store to pick up a few things for our picnic.
    There was a pickup truck about a block ahead of my wife.
    He threw out a plastic bag onto the street and drove off.
    When my wife got there the plastic bag was moving.
    She opened the bag and out popped Roxanne.
    She brought her home and asked if we could keep her.
    How could I say no, she was a beautiful little fur ball.
    God Blessed us with 10 years of happiness.
    She pased away in 2003.
    My oldest son found our second stray when he was deliverying pizza's one night in 1996.
    It was raining and he saw Diana Nicole running down the street.
    When he stopped his car and opened the door she jumped inside and snuggled up to the heater.
    When he got back to the pizza joint he bought Nicki a beef sandwich.
    She scarfed it right down.
    He brought her home on his next delivery and I am proud to say she is with us today.
    All in all we have had 2 strays and 11 rescues from shelters with us
    There is nothing wrong with taking in strays if you can.
    They deserve a chance at love and a nice home.
    John

8. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Get him a full heath check in the vet's and then if all is well, or it's something easily curable, KEEP HIM AND GIVE HIM A GOOD HOME for the rest of his life! He'll love you forever. The first two dogs I ever had were strays (they showed up together). This was when I was 3. A doberman and a German Shepherd. My only regret was that the shepherd ***** ran away from us 2 days later. Went back home I guess. The dobe had a happy home for his final 7 years. Strays can be some of the greatest. I saw a redtick coonhound once that had mange real bad, and would have takn him home, but by the time i came out of the gorcery store, he was gone. A sweet 6 month old Pit bull ***** followed my brothr home from school one day a few years ago, and she was the sweetest little dog I ever saw. She'd been starved and fought, but all her scars were very small, so appearantly she was good enough to survive. Dad said don't feed her. But I can't let a dog, especially as sweet as her, starve. I fed her some hot dogs and baloney, and we tried to keep her in the back yard, but she was so skinny she could slip between the gate posts and the house, so she got out, and I hope she eventually found a good home. I say again, keep the dog. It sounds like he deserves a loving home.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

9. Kill Bill

Kill Bill Plane go boom.

we have a couple of strays and i would highly recommend it. there are no bad dogs, just crappy owners. if you open your heart, they will open theirs.

just make sure to have them tested for everything and vacinated likewise.

10. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

Put up a flyer at the local pound. There's prob some little kid crying for his lost dog! If noone answers the flyer, THEN he's your dog...

11. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

being that young i can't imagine a problem (but i could be wrong...i have been once or twice in my 26 years). :supergrin:

make sure you put up flyers all around, since he could be somebody's lost dog. if you haven't heard from them, consider him yours and treat him like a king :)