Adobe Acrobat or other PDF APP Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Gregoire G, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

I recently got a new computer and need an app that handles PDF files. In the past I have used Adobe Acrobat for this and it worked well. Looking at Adobe Acrobat now the cost to get a license for it is $14.99 or $12.99 a month. I really won't use it enough to warrant spending that much each month. Seems like in the past you could just buy the program and get updates as they came along.

I searched online and found alternatives for less money but don't know anything about them. I would appreciate it if anyone has an idea for a PDF app that doesn't cost $156 dollars a year. This would be for Windows 10.

2. teeuu

teeuu Silver Member

For just reading PDF files I just use my web browser, Google Chrome, which seems to work fine.

I've used Foxit reader in the past for many years with no complaints.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

3. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

Thanks. Yeah, I have been using my Edge browser to view PDF files but I need something to use to edit them too. I'm semi-retired and still get pdfs from the office I have to work with. The Microsoft office store has a free app called PDF X that I may try.

4. Dave514

Dave514

I've got a buddy who uses Foxit
    https://www.foxitsoftware.com/
    and it appeared like it had a lot of capabilities without every having to pay for the licensing of it.

5. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

Two recommendations for Foxit. I'm going to look into it. Thanks.

6. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

If you are using the MS Office 365 you can print to the Microsoft PDF format from all apps... such as Word, Excel. Haven't actual done this will Publisher...

Word should do it for you. I think the other word processors (Libre Office, Open Office) will also do this for you. Just need to Print to it, not trying to do a "Save As"...

Hope that helps!
    :waving:

nerr likes this.
  7. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

Thanks Pierre.
    I know about printing to a pdf file and have done that. I’ll probably just keep ding that and use Word and my web browser. I can afford to get Acrobat I just don’t want to throw money at something I won’t use much.

8. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    bdcochran likes this.
  9. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

We use Bluebeam extensively. You can do a lot with it. Very useful.

Pierre! likes this.
  10. nerr

nerr

This. The free Libre Office has worked with editing pdf's for my very occasional use. I use LibreOffice quite a bit, jut not for editing pdf's. No expert by any means. LibreOffice generally has some quirky ways of handling things. Using it for pdf editing was not intuitive, but if I used it more it would probably be easier.

It's free so I'd install it and try it. You might waste an hour or two, but odds are good it would work fine for occasional use.

11. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

Thanks guys. I'll give them a look.

12. unit 900

unit 900

I have used the following program and at $20 it's a bargain. Editing features are abundant and I've been pleased with the results.

http://www.pdfill.com/

13. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

Thanks. I'll check it out.

14. jim8MM

jim8MM

You can also use PDF-XChange Viewer

15. GlockBill

GlockBill

I have some experience with several of the popular PDF editors. If you do a lot of PDF editing, and you're used to Adobe Acrobat, I suspect that you'd agree that none are quite as good as Adobe.

Nitro isn't far behind - but it costs almost as much.

The best, low-cost solution that I've used is CutePDF Pro. I think it costs ~ $50, with free upgrades for life. I've used it for about 10 years and they do actually update it.

I've never used PDFill, but it does look like it has promising features for a bargain price. I'll probably try it out at some point.

Please post your thoughts on whatever you end up going with. Good luck!

16. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

Thanks guys. Well I have looked at them all and have downloaded PDF X free through Microsoft Store. It seems ok. I will try different ones suggested over time.

Glockbill, I agree that Acrobat is king and may eventually go with it for previewing pdfs in Outlook. That's what I use at work. I work with powerline and pipeline easement agreements with survey plats as attachments.

17. MTRG16

MTRG16

This might help a lot of people and it is free. I use this all the time. You take a picture, save it to multiple formats at the same time to your Onedrive, or computer/phone.

From Microsoft;
    Office Lens trims, enhances, and makes pictures of whiteboards and docs readable. You can use Office Lens to convert images to PDF, Word and PowerPoint files, and you can even save images to OneNote or OneDrive. Office Lens is like having a scanner in your pocket. Like magic, it will digitize notes from whiteboards or blackboards. Always find important documents or business cards. Sketch your ideas and snap a picture for later. Don't lose receipts or stray sticky notes again!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/office-lens/9wzdncrfj3t8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Gregoire G likes this.
  18. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

Thanks for the tip.

19. stonesfan99

stonesfan99

If you just need to view PDF files, I prefer a program called Foxit Reader https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/.

20. Rick James45

Rick James45

Acrobat and most adobe products left the sanity train years ago. Bloated resource hogs that try desperately to get you on the internet all the time at all cost. stay away.

Foxit is great but be very careful with the installer. They add options you may not want. Like changing your default homepage or search provider. I think at one time it wanted to install chrome. Just read the checkbox options carefully.

Pierre! and stonesfan99 like this.