Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about adjusting sights. I’m not a very experienced shooter. I just got my 1st G34 having come from M&Ps. I shot those right out of the box without any issues.

My G34 shoots good groups at 15 yards but about 3” left of POA. I adjusted my new Dawson sights to hit POA to POI. My issue is that looking at the rear sight it’s obvious that the sight is way closer to the right hand side of the firearm. This bothers me. Should it or is this ok? Or is there an issue with the firearm?

Also I am aware that this issue could be me. I shot it off a rest and had same results. Thanks

·
Banned
324 Posts
As I understand, Glocks (and pretty much most manufacturers) are not "sighted in" at the factory. I bet your rear sight was installed either very late on a Friday or very early on a Monday. Or by a slackass who had a slackass QC person inspecting his/her work.

Myself, I would center the sight, eyeballing it. Measuring with a micrometer or calipers is not necessary. If you don't have a sight adjustment tool, and you do have a vise, wooden dowel, paper towels or old sock, and some kind of hammer or wood block, then you can easily do that yourself. Pad your slide. Clamp it firmly in a vise. Tap it with with a wood dowel and hammer until it looks just about right (centered). That is plenty good enough.

Then, if you are still grouping, and your groups are off of your point of aim, then look at this chart, and adjust your shooting technique to correct it:
Circle Diagram

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a question about adjusting sights. I’m not a very experienced shooter. I just got my 1st G34 having come from M&Ps. I shot those right out of the box without any issues.

My G34 shoots good groups at 15 yards but about 3” left of POA. I adjusted my new Dawson sights to hit POA to POI. My issue is that looking at the rear sight it’s obvious that the sight is way closer to the right hand side of the firearm. This bothers me. Should it or is this ok? Or is there an issue with the firearm?

Also I am aware that this issue could be me. I shot it off a rest and had same results. Thanks
Taught a CCW class this past weekend, and one of the students had a new G17.4 and it was shooting about 4 inches to the left. He qualified, but wanted me to check his gun for him. It too, shot to the left when I fired it. Looking at the sights, the rear sight was way to the right. So much, that about 1mm of the sight was protruding out of the dovetail. I used a sight pusher and centered his sight and fired it and it was dead-on at 15 yards. He fired it and was still shooting about an inch and a half to the left. A little instruction on trigger pull and he was shooting dead on. The gun was new and had come from Glock that way. If you whole sight is moved to the right, then it needs to centered and then adjust to POA/POI. If the sight is centered and you have is adjusted all the way to the right, then you may want to reset/center the sight and start again. If you have to move it all the way back to the right, then you may want to check your grip, stance trigger pull, sight picture and alignment, etc.

Reactions: Crossfaced

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I changed the sights to Dawson sights and centered with vernier calipers. I was still shooting left, which I have never done before with other brands. I moved the rear sight to the right and I’m hitting my POA. However the sight is clearly way to the right by my eyes.

It could very well be me. I’m new to Glocks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah I changed the sights to Dawson sights and centered with vernier calipers. I was still shooting left, which I have never done before with other brands. I moved the rear sight to the right and I’m hitting my POA. However the sight is clearly way to the right by my eyes.

Yeah! Glocks have a trigger you have to get used to. They will shoot a little to the left until you get used to the trigger. But once you do, then they are pretty accurate.

Reactions: Crossfaced

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
If the sights are centered, it's you. Ignore that stupid correction chart, and watch the sights.

On the issue of easy windage adjustments in the field, what I do is to press the rear in without fitting the dovetail, and omit set screws and loctite. Then I use witness marks on the slide and a pusher to make fine adjustments at the range. Sevigny rears hold their settings with no problems this way.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts

Maybe check out a few youtube training videos on trigger control and grip. As you gain experience and your grip and trigger control come around, your groups will likely start marching back the other way, just give it a little time.

Dawson's are the best option, so you nailed that one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great thanks everyone, I’ll take the blame for this. I’m actually going to get some professional help in a week on grip,trigger control and stance. I’m just a bit frustrated because I’ve never had this problem.

·
Gunsmith | Certified Glock Armor
69 Posts
I just bought a Glock 17 MOS and the rear sight was pushed way to the right. Went back just to show my LGS owner and we started looking at all the display Glocks, they were all like that. Every single one had their sights pushed extremely to one side or the other.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just bought a Glock 17 MOS and the rear sight was pushed way to the right. Went back just to show my LGS owner and we started looking at all the display Glocks, they were all like that. Every single one had their sights pushed extremely to one side or the other.
Mine is perfectly centered but shooting left. I hope it’s me and not the gun. From what everyone here is saying it’s probably me.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Great thanks everyone, I’ll take the blame for this. I’m actually going to get some professional help in a week on grip,trigger control and stance. I’m just a bit frustrated because I’ve never had this problem.
It is really common for a new Glock shooter to have their POI to the left. Heck, I have lots of Glock rounds down range and many times when picking up a new model, it will print left for a while, my latest Glock, a G43, was like that. It took a lot of rounds before I got things centered up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is really common for a new Glock shooter to have their POI to the left. Heck, I have lots of Glock rounds down range and many times when picking up a new model, it will print left for a while, my latest Glock, a G43, was like that. It took a lot of rounds before I got things centered up.
This is a relief... thanks

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Glock's are not sighted in at the factory, so any new Glocks with sights off center are just sloppy sight installer guy work. The machining centers these things are machined on have auto adjustments for cutter wear, so anything humans get to do, are not going to compare to that precision.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I had a competent Glock guy shoot my G34 and at about 25’ hey put 10 rounds in a 3” or so group right in the center of the target. So clearly this is something I’m doing. I really like this gun and hope I can get this under control.

Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.