close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Adjustable Sights In GSSF

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by JonInWA, Apr 27, 2004.

1. JonInWA

JonInWA

I am planning on getting a G17 (and thanks to everybody who responded on my previous thread asking for recommendations)primarily for GSSF and steel plate competition. Regarding sights, I am considering replacing the stock sights with a set of Millett adjustable rear and orange bar front, a combination that has worked well on several of my revolvers. My questions are these:

With these Millett adjustables, would my Glock still be legal for GSSF Amateur-Civilian class (The "Allowable Exceptions To 'Stock'" in the Reference Edition seems a bit ambiguous regarding this)?

What are your thoughts on replacing the Glock sights with Milletts (or, for that matter, with any other sights/adjustable sights)? Good idea, or unnecessary expenditure of monies better spent of practice ammunition?

TIA, Jon

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

You can use them if they are post and notch AND you black out the fiber optic, if indeed they are fiber optic. I use Bomars and like them. I haven't really seen the Millets.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

That Millett orange post is legal in GSSF but must be crimped on. I think you are better off with race cut fixed Heinies.

4. gdawg09

gdawg09

So, does that mean the "fiber optic" front is legal, as is, and why would it be an advantage over the Millett? Would it be installation, or something else?

While on the subject, can someone explain what advantages there are of fiber optic versus Tritium (et al)?

Thanks

5. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

I use Dawson fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear. so yes they are legal.
    fiber optic sight gather in the sun light and they stand out. Tritium only stand out in very little or no light.
    The Dawson's come with tools needed too install the sights.

6. SMLR

SMLR

I too use the Dawson adjustables (plain rear fiber optic front). They are a little pricey at about $120, but they are well worth it in my opinion.

7. bassnbud

bassnbud

I use Dawson sights on my G17 and G34 that I use in GSSF. I use the fiber optic front sight with the plain fixed rear sight. I think they are $39 each. Warren Tactical Sights are another good choice. I like the plain serated rear so the sight picture does not get too busy. The fiber optic front really jumps out, but that is only if you spend time looking at sights anyway. :cool:

8. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Back about 1989 I was going out to a class at Gunsite. At the time I was still into 1911's as Glock had yet to make anything heavier than a 9mm and I was not into 9's.

I brought two .45 ACP loads with me; both reloads; a 230gr FPFMJ at about 830 fps (standard hardball) and my then-standard USPSA load of a 200 grain LSWC at 920fps. The latter for backup if I ran out of the 230 load.

Both guns had "buried Bo-Mar" adjustables. I wanted to know how much sight correction I would need if I had to resort to the 200's.

Carefully bench-grouping them at 75 feet distance, I found that the difference in the impact groups was only about 3 inches at 75 feet. In other words, at any reasonable gunfighting distance the impact point, no matter the bullet weight or load, is insignificant to the point where any adjustable sight is superfluous. These days if I buy a gun with adjustables on them, I just sight it in the first time and never touch it again thereafter.

These days, I mostly just put fixed sights on all my carry and USPSA/IDPA guns, sight it in once, and never touch it again.

Adjustable sights on fighting guns like the Glock are a waste of money.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  9. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

Agree, the adjustable sights are only on the GSSF play guns and the carry guns have fixed sights.

10. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

You are correct. And since the majority of shootings occur at arm's length it is OK with me if you completely remove the sights from your guns.

However,
    some of us use our fighting guns for a lot more than arm's-length gunfights. I shoot at targets of all sizes at varied distances; everything from a snake's head near my foot to a wounded deer over on the next ridge.

Or maybe even a wounded deer's head near my foot to a snake over on the next ridge. :animlol:

Out here in the Boonies it is possible to have someone shoot at you from some distance. A guy peeking over a car or from behind a tree trunk, taking pot shots with a rifle is at least as deadly as a thug in a dark Walmart lot.

A handgun is not a good match to a rifle, but if properly sighted-in it gives me a fighting chance.
    At 100 yards, your pistol will be off 12 inches in some direction!

My Grandad said, "A handgun is not a very effective killer but it can get you to your long gun, which is."

I wish GSSF would add some snake head and wounded deer targets.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010