Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is NOT intended to produce an exact powder charge that you will use without a scale. I often do precision reloading & target shooting & will NOT expect any kind of powder scoop to deliver the exact load I need. Instead, I use this crude but efficient tool that I made just to get me within a couple of grains of a required powder charge, and then I use my trickler and a scale to finish up. This scoop is adjustable, and you only need set the powder charge size that you need just once with a ruler, and it keeps that charge weight until you've finished all the handloading. Because I'm a hobbyist who builds R/C airplanes and already had the supplies on hand, it cost me nothing to make. But the components aren't going to cost you but a few $bucks anyway.

IMG_2006.JPG

If you're a hobbyist like me and enjoy making things, this is quick project for you. It's light, cheap to make, and easy to use. The charge is adjustable and the dipper will get in & out of any size can opening while reaching the bottom easy.

IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2010.JPG

Photo below; Of course you can always pen some calibration marks over the length of the wood dowel, but I choose to simply place a ruler against it. I need only set it once initially, (and for this example) it stays at 6 3/8" to give me the 18.7gr loads for my .221 Fireball. I always use a trickler & scale to get the final precise charge.
IMG_2011.JPG

Bottom photo; There's basically just 2 components to it. If you need big charges for large cartridges, then file open a longer slot, or I suppose you can always buy a larger K&S tube and use a 3/8" or 1/2" wood dowel. Then you can have a small capacity dipper and a large one depending on whether you're loading a 9mm, or a 45/70. The red pen line also tells me at a glance which side of the dipper that the open slot is on, so I hold the dipper slot facing up.

IMG_2012.JPG

Wood dowels are at your Big Box Hardware store, and K&S tubes are usually available at full stock hobby shops. If your town no longer has a real R/C hobby shop in business, you can get the tubes at Ebay. (but will cost twice as much to cover the shipping) K&S tubes are designated via their OD. (not ID)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=K&S+3/8"+brass+tube&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=K&S+.375+brass+tube

Edited to add, 5-2-20;
After running this thread for a few days, I've concluded that here's another piece of equipment that can be of useful service to a fair amount of folks in these technical forums. It's cheap, easy to use, and will really ease some tension with some of the clenched butts in this forum. I'm heading back to the general talk forums where I usually hang and have more fun. Ya'll stay happy, & don't forget to take your prunes.
enema bag (2).jpg

https://enemasupply.com/products/blackenemabag

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Seems workable. I have a set of the Lee scoopers. With the various sizes I can get pretty close. If just doing test batches I usually weigh every charge anyway.

If doing more, I calibrate my powder measure, rifle or handgun. I’ve seen some make scoopers out of empty brass. It would just take some trial & error.

·
Registered
36,260 Posts
Its clever but if weighing charges, I just use a plastic tsp. You can eyeball a given amount & throw it in the pan & be close, then trickle. Though a powder masure would be a better tool for that, even a cheap lee will do for that. Even the lee powder dippers, what $10?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I just trim cases to length and solder copper solid core wire to the side.
Been there/done that. At one time or another most serious handloaders have at least tried the empty-case thingy. Never cared enough for the method to want to solder on longer useful handles.

Below photo; Long forgotten & gathering dust. To each his own & nothing wrong with empty brass cases or a complete set of Lee scoops if that's what one prefers.
IMG_2013.JPG

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Clever.

I have a set of Lee scoops that I never use. Ultimately, I just use this for dropping and trickling. Noting the micrometer setting gets me right back to the same drop the next time. Although this costs exponentially more than the homemade tool.

·
Registered
36,260 Posts
Clever.

I have a set of Lee scoops that I never use. Ultimately, I just use this for dropping and trickling. Noting the micrometer setting gets me right back to the same drop the next time. Although this costs exponentially more than the homemade tool.

Better tool.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Clever.

Ain't it funny how the likes and needs between folks can vary so much. I very rarely ever use my dispenser. I feel like those who do a lot of practical shooting can most benefit & appreciate dispensers then I ever would trying to shoot 1/4" MOA target groups. I only use a dispenser for defensive ammo in quantity and when I am willing to drop the dispensed powder charge directly into the cases. The reason why I seldom use the dispenser is because if I want quantity of 50 cartridges or more, it's faster & cheaper to buy a box or two at Academy. (ie; 9mm, 223. etc) Like I said before.... no right or wrong. To each his own.

RCBS .JPG

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Been there/done that. At one time or another most serious handloaders have at least tried the empty-case thingy. Never cared for the method to want to solder on longer useful handles.
I suppose I too have never really cared for scoops either but I have lots of different measures.

The ones I have made were for BP stuff where a measure isn't as handy and I make them with long enough handles I can dip them directly into the container to scoop out the proper amount of powder for the firearm.

powder scoop.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts