close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Adivice for a first time GSSF shooter..

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by NCGunner, Aug 16, 2004.

1. NCGunner

NCGunner Millennium Member

Hi guys...I've never shot a GSSF match or any other match. I'm thinking about shooting in the Statesville match next month and was wondering if any of you had any general advice for me.

I'll be shooting a G23. What I need to know is how much ammo I should plan on having...Do I need to carry my gun in a holster or just keep it in the range bag...Are JHP's allowable??

Is there a qualifier type shoot to place me in the right division?

I just kinda want to know some of this stuff so I don't get there and look like a moron...

Thanks in advance

2. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

You should go to www.gssf-online.com and look at the course of fire. You will shoot 30 rnds on Glock to 5, figure the same for the M and have 40 for the Plates so whats that 90...hell call it 100 and you should be good to go.
    Study the courses of fire as that will be where you screw up with first time nerves...also watch others shoot it and ask any questions of the RO prior to shooting. Its all good fun so don't sweat it.:)

3. CanadianGlockFan

CanadianGlockFan

Ditto; go and have fun, and the ROs are great people who are more than happy to help you out and answer your questions. Since winning something is really just a crapshoot anyway (unless you're good enough to beat EVERYONE else), relax and enjoy the match :)

4. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Bring 150 rounds for each category you plan to shoot.

You don't need to qualify, just shoot and the Lewis scoring system will do the rest for you.

I always carry my guns in a range bag, no need for a holster.

You can use JHPs but Winchester White box, Blazer, or Federal American Eagle work well.

Looking at www.GSSFonline.com is good advice.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Maximum rounds fired is 107. Bring 4 magazines if you can, and a folding chair. Look for us team Sidearmor members wearing the grey golf shirts. We will be glad to help you out.

I highly recommend American Eagle 165-gr FMJ ammo because of it's light recoil.
    -Danny

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

NCGunner;

You have recieved some very good advice. Some important points: recommend 125-150 rounds per category you intend to shoot. If you are not rated in any other shooting dicipline you should shoot eith Amature Civilian or Amature Guardian. Explanation of these categories can be found at www.gssfonline.com. Please bring at least 4 mags, 5 is actually ideal. In the 5 to Glock stage you make 3 runs 10 rounds each, in the Glock M you make 3 runs 10 rounds each and at the Plates you make 4 runs 10 rounds each if needed. You may have 11 rounds loaded in all 3 stages, only allowed to shoot 10 in 5 to Glock but can use all 11 in other 2 stages. The 5th mag would be a stripper mag. No need for a holster since you start at low ready with no drawing or tactical reloads. Range bag works great. Would also recommend at folding camping chair and definately some bottle water.

By the way the Grey Shirt folks from Team Sidearmor will be more than happy to help give you any help you might need but also the folks in the Red Shirts and Blue Hats from Team Carver Mounts will also help out in any way possible. Between these two teams you have the cream of the crop for experience and friendly help.

Good luck and hope to see you there.

7. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Take all the time you need to get get a clean sight picture and a good focus on each shot.

8. MrMunster

MrMunster

But bring 150 rounds anyway!!!

Case in point, my wife shot the "M" at Topton only to have the handheld fail AFTER scoring. She had to reshoot the stage which could have been problematic had we not had 150 rounds apiece.

And make sure you read this article.

MrM

9. DannyR

I was not suggesting you bring only 107 rounds, but was
    just stating 107 is the maximum number of rounds you can fire in all Categories except Major Sub(under normal conditions). 81 is the minimum for all but Major Sub. I normally carry 200 rounds per pistol and use about 85.

NC Gunner: Be sure to introduce yourself while at the match. I will be easier to find than you, because most of the folks at Statesville know me. I'm short, fat, old and ugly.
    -DannyRyan

10. MrMunster

MrMunster

Danny,

You and I know that, but I'd hate to have a new shooter read this thread and get that "107" number stuck in their head and show up with too few rounds to finish.

Of course, their are always great guys like you around the matches that have plenty of ammo to share just in case!

11. DannyR

Yup,

I've given away a lot of ammo at GSSF matches over the last 5 years.:cool:

12. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

DITTO Don !!!
    The Grey and the Red is the way to go.A great bunch of shooters and a really great bunch of guys!!!!
    Gunner, come and have a fun time , All the replies are great advice, I second everything that was said!
    #1 RULE: FIREARM SAFTY
    #2 RULE: MAKE NEW FRIENDS
    #3 RULE: HAVE FUN !!!!!!

13. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

NCGUNNER...You are gonna just have the BEST time at GLock shoots!
    I suggest you get with the folks putting on the shoot and do the RO meeting and maybe do a 1/2 day of RO'ing...You'll pick up a world of information working the shoot, and it's a load of fun!
    As per the round count thang...I've lugged 500 to a shoot and I've also FORGOT my ammo and scrounged off the floor of the truck to make 81-81 IS the MINIMUM-Take a couple hundred- because chances are you'll wanna shoot the course AGAIN after your first run. I suggest shooting the AM-Civ LAST. If they have practice plate racks you can usually shoot 2 runs for a buck-and that's fun to do. Schedule some time, take some extra $$$ and go out with the group for dinner-the more you put into these shoots, the more fun you'll have! Make a weekend of it. A bag chair and a cooler of pop is nice to have too.