close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Address bar won't work...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WillieD, Apr 11, 2006.

1. WillieD

WillieD

Got done doing some windows and anti-virus updates and after rebooting, now my address bar won't function properly. When I get done typing in www. whatever, I hit go or the enter button and the only thing it does is highlight the address. It won't take me to the website. If the address pops up underneath the address I am typing or I use history or my favorites, it takes me right to it. What gives? Thanks

I hit ctrl/alt/del to bring up the processes that are running and everytime I try to type something into the address bar to browse, the program verclsid.exe is popping up. What the heck is that?

2. malkore

malkore

verclsid.exe doesn't even exist in Google. Please double check the application name, as Google has had info on every normal and malware .exe extension I have ever looked up.

And is this IE? Do things work in Firefox?

if so, I'd just use firefox...IE appears to have been comprimised.

3. WillieD

WillieD

That's the exact program name coming up and it is IE. What is Firefox. I have the computer guy from my wife's work coming over tomorrow to help me with some other problems I'm having. Hopefully he can tell me what's going on. I guess I could just restore XP to what it was before I updated everything, but I wnat him to check things out first. Thanks

4. El Barto

El Barto

Ditch IE and get Firefox here (Firefox) Your computer will thank you for it. It's a much better web browser than IE (not as many security flaws).

5. SKeefe

SKeefe

It is a problem with MS update KB908531. There are a couple of other threads here in Tech Talk about this, and you can find it by searching Google also.