Adding the Heavy Bag to my routine- advice?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by tat2guy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member Silver Member

Hey guys!

I've been working out at the YMCA since February, have changed a number of things about my diet, and have been slowly but steadily losing weight. I'm doing all cardio, no weight training at his point. Sadly, I only can manage to get to the gym 2 days a week. I would like to do at least 3, but right now my schedule won't permit it. HOWEVER, today I just recieved a 50 pound heavy bag, and will be hanging it in my basement this weekend.

Can anyone recommend good resources for training routines and advice? Also for proper technique, as not to damage my hands or wrists (I'm a tattooer, I make my living with these hands!)

I'd be willing to bet I can find at least 20 minutes or a half hour a day, probably 3 days a week, that I can sneak downstairs and pound the crap out of the bag.

Any advice at all would be most appreciated. Thanks.

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Guest

Get some instruction first.
    Always wrap your wrists and wear bag gloves.
    There is a serious danger of wrist damage, especially if you are not properly trained.

You can usually partially fill the bag so it's not at full weight. You can add the rest of the weight later after you've gotten better using the bag.

Heavy bag training should train your whole body, including footwork, not just your arms. Duck, weave, move in, out, side to side. Keep your guard up.
    Also learn some muay thai kicks, knees and elbows for the heavy bag.

A speed ball (a ball suspended between two bungies at shoulder hiegth) is also an excellent training tool, with much less chance of injury.

:patriot:

3. Shabcat

Shabcat Guest

Definitely wrap your wrists and take some lessons first or you hurt your wrists.

4. proactive

proactive

Hi tat2Guy. The others said it, and it can't be said enough. Especially in your case (depending on your dexterity for a living) seek some very good instruction first. It takes very little to damage your hands and wrists on a heavy bag. ALWAYS use wraps. I'll also second what Minuteman said about Muay Thai. A lot of satisfaction and a great workout can come with the use of knees and kicks too.

5. tat2guy

Cool, thanks.

Can anyone recommend any good websites or anything? I know there are boxing gyms in the city, but dang if I have time to get to them.

6. proactive

proactive

7. tat2guy

Rock on. Thanks.

I'm gonna stop by the hardware store today for some chains to hang the sucker!