Adding body weight advice

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by glockfanbob, Jun 23, 2007.

1. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Hi guys,
    Here is my situation. I am 27, weigh 140 lbs :sad: , am in "decent" shape (play floor hockey, etc), and am trying to gain weight. Overall my metabolism is very high and my father was and is exactly like me (still thin). I workout as much as I can (2-3 times a week) and try to eat as healthy as I can. I have my 5 year old 100% of the time when not working so I don't get too much time to workout (an hour 2-3 times a week). I know I should workout my legs more with squats, etc. but honestly right now I must admit I mostly do chest, back, shoulders, and arms. I am one of those skinny guys people make fun of yet I can still put up 225 twice after my chest workout.......even though my chest looks like a 12 year old boys chest. :upeyes: Sure 225 isn't much for most lifters but I am proud of it. Besides eating more calories what else should I be doing? Keep in mind I know I should be sleeping more (I only usually get about 6 hours a night), eating more (and better) but any advice for the "hard gainer"? Sorry for the long post I just felt like I should give as much background as possible.

:wavey:

Ps. Funny thing is I never knew there was this Health and Fitness forum here in GT till I saw someone mention it in another section here of GT. :thumbsup:

2. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I think there might be a hard gainer or two here, but I'm certainly not one of them! I'm a very "easy gainer" when it comes to waistline, LOL.

Anyway, a few thoughts:

You didn't say anything about height. 140 might not be that skinny if you're not tall.

Log what you eat to get a baseline if you haven't done this already. Figure out how many total calories you're eating and how many of them are coming from carbs, protein, and fat. Just in case you don't know already, carbs and protein have 4 calories/gram and fat has 9.

You're obviously going to want to eat a lot of calories to gain muscle. Something like a 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat percentage breakdown might work well. That's what the Zone people recommend and a lot of athletes are enamored with the Zone, so it might be worth a try.

How many calories? You'll have to learn this by trial and error because the online BMR calculators will probably tell you 1500-1600 for your bodyweight which might be way low for a hard gainer. A guess: try 3000 as a start.

Your workout constraints are very common. I don't know a lot of adults who can do a 2 hour/day, 5 day/week workout program. You could check into some of the no-equipment programs out there. that would allow you to train much more often. My personal favorite at the moment is Never Gymless by Ross Enamait. You can buy his book for about $25 at his website. There are others out there by folks like Alwyn Cosgrove, Pavel, etc., but I haven't used them.

Don't be deceived into thinking no-equipment programs can't help gain muscle because they certainly can. There are conditioning days and strength days. Focus on the strength days and eat a lot and you should be able to gain muscle.

With NG, one typically trians 6 days/week for about 20 min. on conditioning days and about 45 min. on strength days.

If you want to train at home, and have access to "some" equipment, there are lots of programs out there also. Ross has one called Infinite Intensity. CrossFit falls into this category also.

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Over 1.5xBW for a double ain't bad. It is something to be proud of!

4. California Jack

Oh yeah, back to your original question. The old school method to putting weight on is the 'milk and 20 rep squat' program. Google "20 rep squats" or "milk squats" or purchase Randall Strossen's "Super Squats".

There are different versions of the program. But basically it is doing one set of 20 rep squats with a weight that is supposedly your 10 RM. Do this by breathing for 5 or 6 breaths between each rep. Immediatly after the squats do a set of light (20 to 25 lbs) barbell pullovers. Than do 2 sets of 15 reps of weighted dips and 2 sets of 15 reps of barbell rows. 1 set of weighted situps.

Add 5 pounds to squats each workout. Do this 2 or 3 times weekly. Drink a gallon of milk daily.

There are other versions of the program using different or more exercises. But all are centered around the 20 rep squats. When you do 315x20 you'll be a stud.

5. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Good advice so far.

Fire up those squats my boy!!!

You've got to pound down quality calories too.

Years ago I weighed 140 at 6' tall. I farted around with weights and never really got anywhere, until I realized I needed crazy calories to gain.

Its easy to think you're eating alot, but often aren't. I started eating about 5000 calories a day and started getting results. Those are pretty clean calories too, spread out overy 2-3 hours during the day. It isn't easy and sometimes isn't fun, but that was what it took for me.

This past winter I maxed out at 195 bodyweight, my heaviest ever. I've cut my calories down to about 3600 now, and am down to 190, loosing a tiny bit of fat I added over the years.

So there's a little taste of what it takes. Even eating 3500 calories (which is a lot to most people) isn't enough to gain, and in fact made me drop weight.

Try to get 1.5 - 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. I get about 310 grams of protein per day.

To start off, I'd find how many calories you eat a day, and then add 500 to it. Try that and see what happens. Keep adding until you are gaining, but not adding too much fat.

And benching 225x2 at 140 is a real nice bench.

Now grab a fork and have at it!

6. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Holy Moly that's a lotta grub.

I'll piggy-back on everyone's comments and say, if you want a bigger chest, Popeye arms, wing-span lats and stronger delts, then squat. The movement of the squat is a great CNS stimulus for overall growth. Another superb exercise is the deadlift.

Since your time is limited, concentrate on big, compound movements - back/front squats, overhead squat, deadlift, shoulder press, and cleans (if you are proficient). Throw in bench press for good measure if you want. Also, you could always throw in some body-weight exercises or simple dumbbell work like curls during other times in front of the TV with your child.

You might be surprised if you did an 8 or 10 week periodization with big compound movements but don't bench at all. I would put money on the fact that you will have a stronger bench after that periodization.

7. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Thanks for all the responses guys. For the record I am 5 foot 10. I will take your advice and start to track my calories a day. I do like the idea of the "milk squats" program. I just don't know how my body will respond to a gallon of milk a day. :shocked:

8. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

This probably belongs in DBrad's yo-yo thread but...

Awwww, geez CJ, now you've given me yet another program to try. I've heard of the 20-rep squat program before but never tried it. I've stalled on my back squat somewhat and have recently turned to adding GTGing the back-squat for now. I have about 4 weeks left in this periodization and may consider doing the 20-rep program after I'm done. Although, I don't know about the gallon-of-milk-a-day - I'm not a huge fan of dairy (although I'm sure it won't kill me to try it for 8 weeks or so). Since I am wanting just to gain strength and not necessarily size, could this program be successful without the milk?

BTW, I don't care if I gain size (especially legs), it's just not a sought after goal for me.

9. California Jack

Micheal,

What kind of strength are you after? Maximal strength-- 1 RM? Or strength endurance? I don't like 20 rep squats for anything but quick size gain or perhaps strength endurance. They'll make you tough though! I think a heavy set is as bad as Tabatas. For pure strength I'd do something else.

Glockfanbob-- If Googling this program you can also try "Breathing Squats". If you give it a shot, please report back here. Good luck.

10. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I know how mine would respond. Do we have a massive fart smilie? I guess I could drink a gallon of soy milk, but not sure if that would do the same thing, LOL.

11. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Talk about major thread bifurcation. This brings up a topic that I've been thinking about for a while--big legs and their functionality. Ever notice that MMAs almost always have skinny legs? Also, a lot of the CFers I see doing extremely well on the videos have small ones too. I think these might be specialized applications for which very strong legs aren't really necessary, so become more dead weight than anything else. Anyway, just a developing thought.

12. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Truth be told, I want to improve both. However, my current program is for 1 RM improvement. I stalled on my back-squat at 275. I'd like to get to 6 plates by the end of the year.

Right now, I'm doing 5x1 on back-squats, front-squats, OHS, press, push-press, and bench; I'm doing 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1 on squat cleans and deadlifts. I'm going for PRs just about every week, if I feel fresh.

As I mentioned, I just added in GTG on the BS, which amounts to starting at body-weight (170ish) and adding 5lbs a day, doing 5 reps for 8-10 sets throughout the day. I scale back to 5 sets on leg days.

Just talking about lower body, I've hit PRs on DL and FS, but not BS. The FS improvements are mostly from better form (I believe) since I did not use this exercise prior to Jan '07 due to wrist inflexibility.

So, it sounds like the milk squat program is not for me, at least for now. Perhaps I will try it when I hit my 6 plates. BTW, is the 20 rep program designed for just one set? I assume so, since you said use your 10 RM weight, but do 20 reps.

Thoughts?

Just for reference, if it helps you help me :) (reminds me of Jerry Maguire), PRs are:
    - 5'7" 170ish, 39 y.o., BF~10%
    - BP = 285
    - FS = 205
    - BS = 275
    - DL = 355
    - SP = 175

In my mind, the BS should be more than BP. I don't really count OHS or cleans since I am still learning the correct form/flexibility.

13. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Isn't there an unwritten rule that applies only to the H&F forum that 'thread-borrowing' (not hijacking) is encouraged to enhance the overall user experience? :tongueout: :wavey: :hugs:

14. California Jack

Michael,

First sorry about mis-spelling your name. Speling is knot my strong piont.

I think you are right. Your squat and bench are out of whack.

I have a few thoughts but would like a chance to read something before I comment. I'll get back in a day or 2.

Oh yeah, the 20 rep program I'm talking about is for one set only. If you can do another set of 20, you're not squatting a heavy enough load. Additionally, this is a short duration program. Eight weeks and on to something else.

Jack

15. DBradD

DBradD Guest

That's right!

It has to do with the lack of moderators.

Moderators? We don't need no stinking moderators!

16. California Jack

I'd swear it sounds like Brads volunteering to moderate us.

17. California Jack

That's why they xfit, compensation. Cheaper than buying a 'Vette.

18. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Heck, I don't even believe in the word "moderation."

I wonder how badly we'd have to misbehave to get the attention of the moderators. Next thread bifurcation will be a religious rant. That'll be a good test.

19. DBradD

DBradD Guest

:laughabove: :laughabove:

It took me a few seconds, but I got it. Probably goes for MMAs also.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

20. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Actually, I just thought of something else. I've almost been tossed a couple of times for huge fights over in GNG. If I'm ever absent for longer than a week or two, you know what happened. ******* and ***** both hate me, especially *******, because I insinuated that they just randomly lock threads over there and play favorites.

If they ever ask for volunteers, one of you guys will have to do it, LOL. Oh yeah, IBTL. :banana:

Edit: Actually, maybe I should delete names before somebody lays the smack down, LOL.