Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday while visiting one of my semi local weekly pawn shop destinations I happened upon a used 10" barreled Ruger Charger and purchased it for the good price of $295 OTD. I took care of what I'd consider the "careless" handling markings that were found all over it's polymer stock by glass beading it lightly, and it came out great. It'll require a little Aluminum Black to take care of a few spots around the mag well where the finish is missing, but other than that, it looks darn good.

For some time now I've had plans of building another Charger clone, again using a Brownells BRN-22R receiver but with a KIDD 10" barrel this time, but the BRN-22R receivers have been out of stock/unavailable for months now, so I opted to buy this Charger. Everything about it is factory, except for the previous owner adding an M16 style birdcage flash hider - which I promptly removed and replaced with the original thread protector that was included along with its factory box, bipod & adapter, lock, and all documentation, *see note below including the Factory Warranty card. Its serial number indicates that it shipped out in 2020.

I have a spare standard weight 16" threaded 10/22 rifle barrel on hand, so that'll be another option when the idea suits me. In regards to the stock I'll need to inlet it like I did to my Charger clone stock to be able to fit & free float the KIDD .920" diameter barrel in lieu of spending the $$ unnecessarily (IMHO) on an aftermarket billet aluminum stock like everyone else on the planet. I'll also most likely add an aftermarket picatinny mount adjustable rear sight to the factory picatinny rail and the Nodak Spud NDS-23 front sight as this seems to be an attractive combination that works well that leaves room for an optic or open reflex sight.

I'm calling her "Plain Jane", for now!

I'm not ashamed to say that I used to be like many other folks who have asked, "Why the heck would anyone want a Charger pistol?"...that was until I found my answer(s)...they're reliable, affordable to purchase and feed, are fairly accurate, and they're just plain fun to shoot, especially suppressed :)

It's cousin:

*edited; I was wrong about that, as Ruger does NOT provide a Warranty card with their firearms. 'My apologies, 'not quite sure what I was thinking when I typed that... :(

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I like my Charger just fine for goofing off. I got a 2X scope, a cheap red dot AND a cheap laser mounted on the thing along with a drum mag.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I've settled on four for my uses. I had five but recently sold one.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've settled on four for my uses. I had five but recently sold one.
Nice!

With the variety of options out there for the 10/22 platform there's sure to be a configuration for most any need. Have you posted images of them before? If not, please do so!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Brace on it would be fun. Oh... folding brace!

·
Registered
14,786 Posts
I'm sure you'll build it to perfectly suit your needs.
I was anti-charger until the braces became available. As a "pistol" they still don't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure you'll build it to perfectly suit your needs.
I was anti-charger until the braces became available. As a "pistol" they still don't make much sense to me.
Oh I agree, as we've all been so programed to see a pistol as being a firearm that you can wear on your hip or in a shoulder rig - and not a pistol to mount a bipod to. Some folks mount a standard optic on theirs and find their Charger pistol to be a very suitable platform for dispatching small predators and general pest control, and others like it for casual target shooting and plinking. For no particular purpose is as good a reason as any too!

My programming has changed now that I've experienced the platform personally, which often times is what it takes to come to that "Ah HA!" moment where one suddenly understands the why's of it. And although I have no brace attached to my first build it's still a hoot to shoot measuring only 14" in OAL, and with it's 25 round magazine, it would make a nice hi-cap candidate for "close" work - you know, for things that go bump in the night ;)

·
NRA member
991 Posts
I’d like to own one, but CT considers it an “Assault Weapon”.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

·
Quick! Duck!
3,840 Posts
A Charger with a binary trigger would be a blast, at least until ATF declares them to be a machine gun.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d like to own one, but CT considers it an “Assault Weapon”.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk
The same with NY where I'm originally from, as the Charger pistol weights 50 oz., takes a detachable magazine ahead of the pistol grip, and in this case it has a threaded muzzle, all of which = "assault weapon" as described in the NY Safe Act.

'So glad I was finally able to leave that festering craphole of a state.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Just had my Charger at the range yesterday, what a hoot. It will eat anything I feed it, and is remarkably accurate.

Reactions: DrewBone
1 - 12 of 12 Posts