close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Added a cleaver to the knife block

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by lwt210, Jul 4, 2004.

1. lwt210

lwt210

Got myself a cleaver the other day to go along with my Henckels set....

cutting up chickens MUCH easier now thanks to the chopping action. Haven't really used it on much of anything else but it makes quick work of yardbirds.

I can also maintain a good enough edge to perform other cutting functions (like trimming fat from chops) and it holds it even after going through a bunch of bones.

Wish that I had bought one years ago. How many other novice chefs are using cleavers these days?

2. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

yeah a cleaver can make a host of prepping food jobs alot easier, such as cutting up whole chickens into halves and quarters, or cutting a whole ribeye roast into ribeye steaks.

what alot of people dont notice is that each time a piece of meat is taken and cut from one piece to smaller ones they charge alot nmore for it. such as a whole chickens or half chickens are alot cheaper at the store and can be found to be on sale alot more often than the pieces are. so taking a whole chicken and cutting it into quarters or halves or into pices or whatever is needed for your cooking erecipe can be a savings of money if you do that cutting yourswelf and cost you half the nmoney per pound or less. Doing the same with a standing rib roast and cutting it into steaks yourseklf you can safe over twice the money doing the chore yourself with the cleaver. also works well with a pork roast and cutting it into your own chops. you be surprised how much one can save doing this work yourself ion your food bill for meat especially. comes in extemely useful for the summertime barbeques everyone loves to have.

good luck and hope more people take the initiative to do the same as you are doing. good luck.

;f ;f ;f

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

A few months ago I bought the XL 8" Henckels Pro S Cleaver to go with my tasty set...
    I always wanted one, but I haven't used it once yet... :(
    I haven't had to hack at anything so far...

I can knock out a chicken into parts with 3-4 of the knives I have...

Next on the list is the Pro S Chinese Cleaver, but I have a feeling I won't need that either really,
    I just wanna play Iron Chef...

Between my 8" Chef, 10" Chef, 7" Santoku, 3.5" Paring, and my flexible boning knife,
    I haven't met many obstacles or challenges...

;c

4. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

a good quality cleaver as you have there can do dual duty. for if its a good one, it is sharp like a knife and will cut through the meat and skin of any chicken or roast. the cleaver comes in handy especially when your trying to cut through the grizzle or bone and separate the pieces of chick at the bone or joint...or the roast at the bone or grizzle areas....the cleaver has the needed added heft in weight to allow a quick blunt slap that will chop right through that bone or tough membrane or grizzle that can be tough to do with a knife.

now a knife is the most important part of any butcher block in the kitchen but the cleaver has a important place in the reason i just listed above that a knife may be a lil more combersome to accomplish, and risky when working aroung a bone or tough nerve joint of meats.

dont give up on your cleaver, just have to lwearn how to use it more proper and the technique of using it. if you do, yiou will find it a very important player in your butcher block in your kitchen.

good luck
    :) ;f

5. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

Martin Yan of "Yan can cook" uses the cleaver for everything.

6. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

I always loved watching Martin Yan on his TV show "YAN CAN COOK" and watching his expertise with a chinese cleaver. He is an artist with one and the speed and accuracy he uses one is unparalleled. Besides, he is a great asian cook and makes dome very delicious recipes. a must for persons into Chinese/Asian Food. he does some great food s and great tips on cooking asian/chinese food.

great post and reference to the thread here.^6

;f ;f ;f ;f[​IMG]

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Think anybody here will ever get that good? ;a

Not me ;g ;f

8. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

I dont think we will ever get that good, but i think we can get better than we are....Just that a few of us may carry the nickname of "LEFTY" in trying to do so....LOL

;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

9. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

Speaking of knives, what brand do you recommend?...Anyone...
    And how do you sharpen yours?...Thanks

10. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

recommend: Henckels or Wusthof...they are the best...dont need a ton of knives...a good chef knife, slicing knife, paring knife, deboning knife, cleaver/Santuko knife, Carving knife and serrated slicing knife. and most inmportantly...sharpening steel.

to sharpen knives they need to be done professionally and can be doen for a few dollars a knife if yu call around your local area to see who does that work...shop for best price though for some try to rip you off...shouldnt be more than a few dollars a knife. if knife is still sharp ...to maintain the edge and align the edge on a knife...you use a sharpening steel for it lines up the edge straight again so it is sharp. but if a knife is dull. no sharpening you can do other than professionally done will work for you. A copmpany called Chefs choice makes a motorized three stage unit that works ok..and is better than nothing to put new edge on a knife if you dont want to have it done by professional...but a sharpening steel is to be used before you use the knife and after and wipe clean each time. it doesnt put a new edge on a knive...it just realigns the edge that is there already. but it is important to do that for it keep the edge lasting longer and keeps a knife sharper klonger for you. more acidents with knives are done with a knife that is DULL not Sharp. a sharp knife cuts true and clean. a dull knife cuts irratically and errantly.

hope thisinfo helps you out. I have Wusthof Knives and love them alot.

good luck and best always.

;f ;f ;f

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I am with Kevin here: Wusthof or Henckels.

We have some of each. I like the Wusthof better, the other cook likes the Henckels. The only difference is the handle or grip. You won't go wrong with either :)

Never, ever put a good knife in the dishwasher ;g

12. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

thank you misskitty for your support...xox kevin;f ;f ;f

13. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Caretaker:

On the point of sharpening; it is easy to sharpen knives at home IF you have the right tools. Medium and fine wetstones are all that you need to "professionally" sharpen knives yourself. Good wetstones are not inexpensive and there is a learning curve involved in their use. Once you learn to use a wetstone, you can easily sharpen your knives as well as any professional. Knives that are used on a regular basis should be sharpened once a month. As you have already stated, they should be run over a steel with each use.

Trust me, this works extremely well. I will put my self-sharpened knives up against any profesionally sharpened knives any day (my knives are all Henckels).

Whatever you do, donot use a motorized unit. You will remove way too much steel from your knife!

14. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

I agree with what you are saying about sharpening the knives yourself, but it is not realistic for most persons to find the time or take the time to do it with their jobs, spouses, kids, family etc. so just suggesting ideas to help out the "average joe" who has little free time, but wants to have good quality knives and just offering advice to them that the only good knife is a sharp one. I'd rather have a cheap sharp knife than a quality dull one anyday. for dull knives are dangerous. but appreciate your ideas, i have done that myself as well with the oil and stone and all, but I just dont think it is for the majority of people to do this way....BUT...if it is their interest to take time to buy the stones and oils needed to do your own sharpening of your knives, then by all means it is the best way.

good suggestions, the more ideas we try to make available to people the better of they will be in long run and able to make better and useful choices for what will work best for them in their lives and family situations

;f ;)

15. okie

okie GT Mayor

I have a knife like Martin uses, that thing rocks man:cool: ;a

16. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

17. lwt210

lwt210

As far as sharpening is concerned.....

I sharpen mine while doing my weekly grilling chores with my Lansky kit. Takes about five minutes per blade (my set is up to eighteen now with the steak knives included).

That is if they need it. And it seems like the forged steak knives are needing sharpening more than any of the others. Probably cause we use the heck out of em.

I have the five stone kit and I can get any of my Henckles knives razor sharp with that little kit. Fifty bucks can get you one or the three stone kit is in the thirty dollar price range.

For the cleaver, I'll have to use my eight inch Arkansas stones. The Lansky doesn't seem to work too well with the cleaver but I will admit that I haven't played around with it that much.

And just a side note (which most folks know anyway) is that when you get them razor sharp, they are very effective at what they do. I am not happy with mine until they will shave arm hair on one pass. I can get all my Henckles blades spooky sharp. The steel is used all the time to keep them up to par.

So far, my wife and I still have all ten fingers.;f

18. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I purchased an old LARGE cleaver from an antique store on Highway 49 just north of Yosemite, years ago. It is wonderful. Well used, and very scary looking; probably retired from an old butchers shop. People think I am a freak for having such a device. These people (including my wife) suggest the only thing it must be useful for is dismembering bodies. This wonderful old cleaver used to be kept on hand in the kitchen, and put to use for various legitimate cooking/cutting tasks, but my wife took the cleaver out of the immediate kitchen area and put it on "display"... come to think of it, I don't think that cleaver is even on display anymore. I think my wife may have hid it from me. :) - I still have all my fingers, but I'll admit to having a bad day now and again, which resulted in a close call or two. ;) Perhaps that is why my wife has hidden my cleaver? ;)

19. ProfMoriarty

ProfMoriarty

The favorite knife in my knife block is my Wusthof Grand Prix.

That sucker is like a hand held food processor.

20. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I have a tasty cherry picked selection of Henckels Pro S and Wusthof Classic...

I use the Chef's Choice EdgeSelect 120 sharpener/honer...

[​IMG]

The right-side slot is simply for honing, and gets used all the time...
    Even hones serrated knives...
    The middle sharpens a little... doesn't take much off... nothing noticable... Used infrequently...

My knives all still look new and it's been about 5 years with this set...
    The left-side is only for completely dull knives, or if you want to turn a butter knife into a steak knife...
    I've NEVER used that slot...

This machine is great...
    It's not necessary for a knife to be any sharper than this thing delivers...

;c