close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Add or remove programs

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jack19512, Jan 20, 2006.

1. jack19512

jack19512

I recently uninstalled a program and something didn't go right. The program is uninstalled but it is still listed in the Add and remove programs in the control panel. Anyone know how I can remove the title of the program out of the Add and remove programs list? Thanks

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. Toyman

Toyman

Washington, D.C. - that is so not correct.

RegEdit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Uninstall

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Find the key under there and delete it.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I hope he finds it there.It should be there but I wasn't sure which program he had unistalled.There used to be an easier way in Windows 98 :)

5. Toyman

Toyman

No, ever since windows 95 the items listed in the uninstall key are where the add/remove programs get's its list from. The keys in there are really only pointers to the uninstall program for each app.

Deleting a program folder does nothing for removing the item from add/remove programs. Doing so would also orphan any files installed elsewhere, such as in the system folder, and possibly leave startup entries to the now deleted program.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Yeah I remember something about removing apps but not deleting folders.This leaves a lot of empty folders over time though.

7. jack19512

jack19512

Thanks for the help, but still no luck. The program wasn't listed in RegEdit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Uninstall

And under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Uninstall, I didn't have the Uninstall.

The program I am trying to uninstall is called Prevx. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I have put in considerable time trying to delete this with no luck. It isn't causing any kind of problems, just bugging me that it's there and I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. :)

8. nickg

nickg

did you do a search in the registry for Prevx? or if that is the name of the program and NOT the name of the software manufacturer the manufacturer's name could be listed under the registry key.

9. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

Firstly, download the Visual Basic 6 runtime libraries and see if they can be installed or if they are already installed. Secondly, get Hijack This! Download the .zip file to a convienient location (such as the desktop) and extract the .exe file to a new folder. Run it and it should tell you if you have any orphaned registry entries. It should also create a log file (.txt) in the same folder where the .exe is. Copy the contents of the file and post it here in this thread and we can help you decipher it.

10. jack19512

jack19512

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Before I had read the last two posts I had given up and did a format. I do this about every 6 months and it was about time to do again anyway.

I had thought the program might be under another name but after checking I couldn't find it called anything else. I still would have liked to been able to solve this instead of giving up though. :)