close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

actually use the striker spring that comes with wolff recoil springs?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kenndapp, Jun 20, 2012.

1. kenndapp

kenndapp

when it came time to change recoil springs i decided to go with wolff springs....and they work great. when you buy a wolf recoil spring the include a factory power sriker spring for some reason. the striker spring that wolff includes in thees packages is a little shorter and a little smaller in over-all diameter than the glock oem striker spring. even though wolff says thees are factory power striker springs.... i am a little worried about using one. i learned very early on ( the hard way) that bad things usually happen when you fool with your glock striker spring. but if they are actually factory power then what is the harm? should i replace my striker spring with this as wolff gun springs recommends? or should i just keep tossing them in the growing pile of spare glock parts? have you actually used one?

2. alexhartang

alexhartang

Stay stock!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

^^^ What he said ^^^ SJ 40

4. breacher1

breacher1

I bought the Wolff Glock competition spring kit awhile back. It comes with their lightest striker spring, like 3 or 4 lbs? I just used it for a PPC competition and some range plinking. Combined with a 3.5 connector the trigger was probably 3 lbs.
    I wouldn't carry it for SD that way but with about 1500 rds, some factory and at least half my reloads, it has been 100% reliable.

5. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

All components inside a glock are critical. With that said, I think the striker spring is the most critical. Stay stock with that would be my advice.

6. DocWills

DocWills

I would use a wolff marked as stock weight in place of oem parts on any gun. Walter Wolff has forgot more about springs than most know.

7. kenndapp

kenndapp

yes i am referring to stock weight springs here.....not reduced power.

8. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

been using Wolff products for years, never had a problem....would not hesitate to use a striker spring from Wolff

9. AquaHull

AquaHull

I use Wolff recoil springs in my LCP and Carbine,IDK about the striker spring but I wouldn't worry about their recoil springs one bit.

10. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

Go ahead and install the lighter striker spring IF your gun is to only be used for target work or perhaps competition shooting. But I would strongly recommend NOT installing it for a gun that is to be carried and/or used for personal protection. Use a heavier trigger spring with a good 3.5 connector and you'll be fine. But I would not use a lighter striker spring for my carry gun. I once had one in my primary gen3 G23 (actually a gunsmith installed it against my wishes) and I had it removed the next day.

11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Wolff springs rock.

I run their competition springs in all my non-GSSF competition guns.
    My carry gun, I do keep stock, except for '-' connector.

12. kenndapp

kenndapp

I emailed Wolff gun springs about the striker spring they include with all recoil springs. They told me it is standard power and they include it as a reminder to change the striker spring every 3500 rounds. 3500 rounds? Yes, that's what they said..... 3500 rounds. Sounds like a short life to me. But I put them in my 2 glocks anyway.

13. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I'd worry about it at 35,000 before I'd change it at 3500.
    I have 40,000+ through my G17, which I don't shoot as much as my now G34 which has probably 10k. Catching up.

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

So, Lone Wolf tells you that you should replace your springs every 3500 rounds, and you believe them?:rofl::rofl:

There are Glock pistols out there with 100K+ rounds, and the only springs that have ever been changed were the mag springs.

I wonder why Lone Wolf would tell people that they need to change their springs every 3500 rounds? Oh, I know.....they SELL all of those springs, and they are trying to create a market for them.

Seriosuly, I can almost guarantee you that you will never need to replace any springs on your Glock. Especailly if you leave your pistol stock and maintain it per the manual.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  15. bam1131

bam1131

Even though your Glock may run without ever changing springs, I would take preventative measures if it was a carry gun such as changing the RSA as Glock recommends(5,000 rounds i think). That's just my opinion. Do what makes you and your Glock feel warm and fuzzy inside.

16. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Well, I broke a trigger spring at around 35,000 rounds on my G17. Granted *that* was a Wolff trigger spring, which is 6 pounds compared to the stock 5 pounds.
    I've read that the heavier trigger springs can break easier. But I can still see even a stock spring break before 100,000 rounds, that's a lot.

But I can also see that striker spring, in it's semi-compressed state, would get weak enough over time that it would cause light primer strikes.

I don't know about 100,000 being good, but certainly can say that 3500 is laughably short.

17. kenndapp

kenndapp

Whoa there. I never said I believed them. I changed the sriker springs just for ****s and giggles. One of my glocks is a police trade in with a very unknown round count ...... Hence the new recoil springs that just happened to come with new striker springs for the reasons Wolff gun springs (not lone wolf distributors) told me which are stated above. And just because a glock will run fine with poor maintenance does not mean its a good idea. If you fail to at least change your rsa for too long your locking block and frame will be in tears. Every thing in this world (even your glock pistol) eventually fatigues, breaks, fails ............eventually. Its called preventative maintenance.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  18. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

I bought a used Glock... round count unknown, but definitely a lot of use. Outside of the barrel has a good amount of wear, and the inside of the slide (upon a detail strip) was scary filthy. After a good clean I changed every spring (RSA, striker spring, firing pin safety spring, plunger spring, and trigger spring) with new OEM stock ones. Was it needed? I don't know, but it made me feel better. I have no idea how the previous owner treated it, and I wanted to be sure this 9 year old would run like new.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

19. kenndapp

kenndapp

that's exactly where i am at and what i am doing. thanks. i don't feel so ridiculous now.