close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Actually Building My Dream System.. Any Help?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Str8_Shooter_85, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Str8_Shooter_85

Str8_Shooter_85

I have A LOT of extra cabbage to spend on a computer. I recently inherited some money. I am thinking of building what I'd consider to be a top of the line system. I gave myself a 10K budget. Here is wha I've come up with. Anyone have any suggestions? I still have to add a RAID card because I plan on using RAID 5 for the Raptor Drives. And I am contemplating putting two of those video cards into the system. but that might just be crazy. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Guts
    Antec P180 Advanced Super Mid Tower $130
    Two Additonal 120mm DBB Antec TriCool Cooling Fans $50
    Antec NeoHE 550 Watt Power Supply $115
    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Motherboard $220
    AMD Athlon 64 FX 62 Processor $1,034
    Kingston 8GB KVR533D2N4K2/4G DDR2-533 Non-ECC $1,700
    nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB Video Card $634
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Sound Card $258
    Four WD Raptor X SATA 150GB 10000RPM 1.5Gb/s 16MB Cache HDs $1,064
    Plextor PX-755SA SATA DVD±R/RW $117
    Total Cost $5,322

Peripherals
    SCEPTRE X42GV-Naga Black 42" 8ms LCD TV $2,100
    Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Speaker System $350
    Logitech diNovo BlueTooth Media Desktop Laser Keyboard/Mouse $199
    Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows $45
    HP Color LaserJet 2840 All-in-One $899
    Total Cost $3,593

Total System Cost $8,915

2. Angel Of Death

Angel Of Death Wrenches/BMWs

I lean towards Crucial's Balistix line, that's what I run:

Module Details:

* Crucial Part Number: CT2KIT25672AA53E
    * Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2)
    * Package: 240-pin DIMM
    * Feature: DDR2 PC2-4200
    * Specs: DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • UNBUFFERED • ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 72

US $1245.99 per 4gig kit

[​IMG]

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Wow, and my friends say I spend to frivolously. :)

You forgot your OS. ;)

You have to post pics of that when you get done.

IGF

4. Str8_Shooter_85

Str8_Shooter_85

I used to love Crucial. But recent reviews that I've read show that thier timing is much slower than alternative options from Kingston and Corsair. I always thought of them as a great company with inexpensive memory for a great deal. REFERENCE: http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/control.php?cid=4&id=1683

It's a shame because I really like crucial. Memory was a big decision for me. That motherboard takes up to DDR2-800 speed RAM. But NO ONE makes 2GB sticks in that speed yet. So the most I could have would be 4GB if I wanted DDR2-800. So instead I choose to buy pairs of DDR2-533 in 2GB pieces to get a full 8GB of memory. By buying the sticks in pairs, they can fine tune the latency timings to get VERY fast memory. I'll be in heaven!

5. Str8_Shooter_85

Str8_Shooter_85

Well I am going to play around with this thing for a while I think. I'm going to slap on a 64-bit version of XP for now; just to get everything up and running. I plan on running a lot of benchmarks and whatnot to know just have I have.

And I was lucky enough to be one of the few that was able to download a copy of the MS Vista Beta 2 while MS had it open for download last week. So after I benchmark the system and ensure everything is working right, I may try to throw that Beta 2 on there for a month of two to play around. Then I'll go back to XP and transition that to my main PC.

When Vista comes out I'll pick up the highest end version (Vista Ultimate I think they are calling it) and I'll slap that in there. FUN INDEED!

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

wow, that ought to almost run vista.

;)

7. Str8_Shooter_85

Str8_Shooter_85

Oh it's questionable. I had to call Microsoft just to make sure I met spec.

8. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Well if you're looking to spend a lot of money...

Why not dual-Opterons?

Why only 4 drives? Get a big 'ol RAID card, 10 or 12 500GB drives for the pr0n collection.

That TV you're looking to use as a monitor has an oddball resolution, not sure how Windows and your video drivers will like it. Consider a pair (or get a second vid card and use 3) of high res 20" monitors.

A second optical drive is nice to have, say a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo.

9. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

...What are you going to do with this?

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Surf the Internet, Check email, Play solitaire and Hearts, maybe every once in a while fire up Open Office Word. ;)

IGF

11. Angel Of Death

Angel Of Death Wrenches/BMWs

That's all I do on mine, plus eBay and listen to music!

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Me to actually, I was just trying to justify in my head a 10k system..lol.

I could reasonably spend 3k, and have dual displays, plenty of memory, etc. And be perfectly happy..

Then I'd just use the remainder and buy an XBox 360.. :)

IGF

13. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

15K drives are starting to show up on the market. If I were you i would consider getting a power supply with a bigger wattage, dual 512s would eat the 550 up and ask for more. I dont think a 550 would cut it in the least, 850 maybe.

14. Dandapani

Dandapani

15. Str8_Shooter_85

Str8_Shooter_85

A few things to respond to...

The Display...
    I originally wanted dual 23" LCDs from Viewsonic. I opted against this because I needed a TV anyway and that LCD/TV has a HDTV tuner as well and it's still a huge freaking display. Plus the 23" LCDs I wanted were $1300 a piece. The 42" LCD/TV is only $2100 and it's bigger. The resolution is a standard HD resolution.

Hard drives...
    I wanted SATA2 drives. I don't want 15k SCSI drives. I choose Raptor drives because they are 10k RPM and have a 16MB cache. I could have chosen larger capacity drives, yes, but I wanted speed and cache and fast access times over capacity. I only wrote down that I am ordering four drives. More likely I will order 6 drives. I wanted to originally order no more than three drives. This was because the case I have chooses has heat isolation. There is space to isolate three hard drives and the power supply from the rest of the chassis. So I only wanted three drives for cooling and space reasons. But I threw that out the window. So I will likely get six of those drives to put me closer to my $10K budget and get more space. Using RAID 5, I'll have a super fast array with a capacity of 750GB. That's just FINE for me.

Raid Card...
    I still need to find a raid card. The motherboard has it but I don't want to use those resources. I'd rather has a separate card do all the work. Still looking for one.

Processor...
    I do not want an Opteron. It's a server processor. This will be a college system for gaming and school work. Some development and media content creation as well. I don't want to have to buy a server processor with a server motherboard with server memory... I simply won't get the performance I'm looking for. Besides the AMD Athlon 64 FX 62 is dual core anyway.

Power Supply...
    Yea people try telling me that I need a bigger power supply. I have to disagree. I've called three different power supply manufactures. Two of them recommended a 500 Watt and one recommended a 550 Watt. I went with the higher of the two. And two of those manufactures have supplies as high at 800 Watts so they could have told me higher if they wanted. People generally oversize their power supplies. It's really not smart for me to do that considering all of the heat I'll be generating in this computer as it is. That's part of the reason why I bought a case specified for cooling. In fact their will be five case fans, a PSU fan, a video card fan, and a CPU fan. But I didn't want an oversized supply that would add extra noise and heat into the equation. 550 Watts is adequate.

Optical Drives...
    Yea I'll probably add a second optical drive. I am considering getting two of the specified drive. That or a fast Plextor CD-RW.

System Usage...
    Like I said this is a college system. I'll be doing some media creation and development. Gaming will be big also. I'll agree with anyone that it's overkill. But I have money to spend and lots of it. I figure building a system like this is a once in a lifetime thing.

16. Str8_Shooter_85

Str8_Shooter_85

Yea I've been looking at this. It's most likely what I'll put in there. Thanks.

17. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

WOW! 8Gb of ram!?

I have several servers that don't even have that much ram.
    2GB is plenty enough unless you are going to do some heavy Video Editing which most people say they are going to do and never do it.
    I can count the number of people I know in both my hands who made that statement and all they have is have a HD full of Pictures and thats all.

Always wanted 1 of those Mac 30 inch LCD monitors.

Or better yet Dell has a Nice 24inch Lcd Monitor that is pretty snazzy, Dual displays come to mind.

If you plan on building that heavy of a system I hope you planned for doing backups.

I hope you don't plan on bringing that machine to a college dorm room.
    When you buy a laptop or computer for college be preparred to have it stolen.

18. Str8_Shooter_85

Str8_Shooter_85

8GBs of RAM just because I can.

Yea I am really torn still between a dual monitor setup and one huge LCD/TV. Still can't totally make up my mind.

When you say backups... I have a server at home with 4 TBs. I always have a backup of everything. Plus I am using RAID 5 so I can always lose a single drive and still be okay. But yes everything will be backed up on a central server.

And I live in an apartment; not a dorm room. Still have to worry about my place getting broken into but that's why I live here on GlockTalk. HEHE...

19. ajkahr

ajkahr

The Athlon FX line is GREAT... but if you're going to blow some dough, Opteron is the way to go.

[​IMG]

On the monitor note, go for multiple. Think of it this way, when your one large monitor goes out, whatchagonnado?

If you have two 19" or 21"s, you'll still be alive and can manage on one while you get the other one RMA'd. It happens, as nice as the mondo displays are, they can go to crap on you really fast. Get two high-quality, reliable flatpanels (preferrably with thin borders) and you are all set.

20. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

That monitor may be standard HD resolution, but it's not a standard PC resolution. You may or may not be able to run your desktop at that resolution. If not, you'll wind up with interpolation or big black borders... not nice.

As for the Opterons, I was thinking about dual-cores... for a 4 CPU system.

I wasn't recommending you replace the Raptors with bigger drives, I was suggesting both... Raptors for system disks and 400s or 500s for media storage.

With that big dual-slot card, are you going to have room for all the accessory cards you want? You're going to lose either the PCIe4x or one of the PCIs, and if you go dual cards, you lose both.