Activists: Whalers hurt by their own pepper spray

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

Feb 13, 2010 (1:30a CST)

ADELAIDE, Australia - Japanese whalers who complained of injuries from rancid butter thrown at them by an anti-whaling group were actually suffering from their own pepper spray attack, the protesters said Saturday.

[​IMG]

Paul Watson, captain of the Sea Shepherd protest vessel Steve Irwin, said in a statement that video of Thursday's incident showed wind blowing the spray into the faces of the Japanese crew who were aiming it at the activists.

The Japanese said Friday three crew members had eye and face injuries from butyric acid, produced from bottles of stinking rancid butter that the activists sometimes aim at the ships. The activists maintain that butyric acid is nontoxic.

Watson said the Sea Shepherd video showed two of the Japanese crew on the deck of the Shonan Maru 2 wearing metal tanks on their backs. He said they aimed their nozzles and sprayed at the Sea Shepherd crew in an inflatable boat.

"However, the wind was not in favor of this Japanese tactic and the pepper spray is blown back into the faces of the three crew, who can be clearly seen rubbing their eyes. They appear to be suffering irritation to their eyes," the statement said. "I think this video absolves Sea Shepherd of any wrongdoing and demonstrates that the Japanese whalers routinely spin their stories to demonize our efforts to defend the whales from their illegal activities."

The injuries were the first to Japanese whalers this year during confrontations with Sea Shepherd, although there have been two ship collisions that each side blamed on the other.

Japan has a six-vessel whaling fleet in Antarctic waters as part of a research program, an allowed exception to the International Whaling Commission's 1986 ban on commercial whaling. It hunts hundreds of mostly minke whales, which are not an endangered species. Whale meat not used for study is sold for consumption in Japan, which critics say is the real reason for the hunts.

Sea Shepherd, a U.S.-based activist group, sends vessels to confront the Japanese fleet each year, trying to block them from firing harpoons at the whales.

http://kai03.qwest.com/WindowsLive/[email protected]&client=landingpage&qid=0

2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL

3. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

I like the whalers better than I like the environmental activists.

I agree that it is foolish to overuse a resource until it is no longer sustainable, but the high moral dudgeon of the activists is just a bit too much over the top.

If the whalers ever stopped whaling, I think the activists would be devastated, losing their opportunity to express their moral superiority.

Besides -- I could really go for a nice grilled whale-steak and a few beers about now....

-ET

4. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

I wish the whalers would just go ahead and start pitching explosive-tipped harpoons at the filthy hippies. Both sides would be ecstatic, and their silly seafaring adventures would be just a little bit more exciting for the rest of us.

5. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

I hand picked Captain Asshat of the Steve Irwin in our local "Dead Pool".

6. wizzi01

wizzi01

7. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

The Sea Shepherds should be treated as pirates illegally attempting to board another vessel.

send their vessels to the bottom and force survivors to live on whale blubber till they get back to port.

8. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

Sums it up nicely, I think.

Hey dragoon, what was it like back when ships were the only transportation?

9. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

I guess it's human nature for mankind to destroy its own resources, we think generationally only, just of our own generation and not of our future generations yet to come, as if we can't see past the end of our own nose. In a way this reminds me of the movie Dances With Wolves where the indians chased the buffalo herd and found the buffalo hunters had hit them first leaving all the dead buffalo rotting in the sun after having taken only the skin.

The indians knew the buffalo was their destiny, their future, and was their past also, and along came the new people into their world slaughtering their main food source, clothing source, and housing source, and leaving it to rot in the sun. Imagine how it must have appeared to them to see the trains stop near the buffalo herds and the passengers climbing out for target practice killing hundreds upon hundreds of buffalo and taking at all of them and leaving the whole animal carcasses to lay there and rot. They must have thought we were all crazy.

Will we not do this in the oceans as well? I think we all know those Japanese ships aren't truly research vessels, they don't need factory ships to do research nor the amount of personnel to box or package up whale meat for labs, that meat is being packaged for sale to Japanese people and Japan is lying about it. Look at the number of support vessels surrounding their main factory ship, it's a massive undertaking and I bet they're not stopping at any quotta's either because no one is monitoring them. They take more tonnage of whale meat than can be studied by scientists in a lifetime. They claim they take only the allowed quota, but even with that amount how many studies can you do on that many whales all cut up boxed and packaged. You just can't convince me they need that much research on that many thousands of tons of whale meat.

Everyone has a right to their opinons, I'll support your right to yours, but mine is different, I support the whale activists and support what the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is doing. If the Japanese were taking just a few whales for study that'd be different, but I don't buy this disquise of a research vessel.

In 1986, the International Whaling Commission (IWC) enacted a moratorium on all commercial whaling. Since then, three nations - Iceland, Norway, and Japan - have brutally slaughtered over 25,000 whales under the guise of scientific research and for commercial purposes. the IWC doesn't have the funds to monitor or enforce the rules, but that shouldn't mean the rules and regulations aren't there, it just means that Japan, for one, is ignoring them and taking whales illegally. Do the math, how many scientists would it take to do research on 25,000 whales, I mean come on seriously, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see they're not being honest about this.

10. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

bingo ftw

11. bradleybear

bradleybear

Honestly, I think the whalers show amazing restraint.

The eco terrorists are so aggravating they should be torpedoed.

12. ArmedNdangerous

ArmedNdangerous

It's a total shame and wrong in every way for those animal rights terrorists to use Steve Irwin's name on their ship. Steve was the best thing that ever happened to wildlife and he never used ignorant tactics like the anti's are using under his name. I don't think another person will ever be able to simply involve others in their passion to gain support and be a good person like the man, Steve Irwin.

13. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

You know as much as I feel the activists are trying to do the right thing, I tend to agree they're not going about it correctly. I also agree 100% with you about Steve Irwin's name, I had the same feeling as you've just expressed the first time I saw that. I'm sure they see it as an honor to him, and it would be if they were doing things the right way. I wonder if they have permission from Terri Irwin or whomever is required to actually use his name.

14. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

And they would have to go out and find real jobs.:rofl:

15. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Better than when we only had feet and the breast stroke.

:supergrin:

16. Wrangler100

Wrangler100 NRA Patron Mbr

Whales are cool, but they are also a resource to be used conservatively. Screw the hippies, sink their boats and quit coddling them...

17. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

His wife ok'd the use of his name. Heck, Steve probably donated money to them at one point.

EDIT:
    from wiki

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  18. Caladan

Caladan

The minke (sp?) whales they are hunting are not endangered. The Japanese are smart enough to know not to overfish*.

But yes - I would agree that the activists are over the top. Might even agree with the whale steak too (never had one). Definitely the beer idea sounds good...:supergrin:

*probably not the right term -- overmammal perhaps?

19. Adjuster

Adjuster

Why again is whaling banned? I understand an endangered species being banned but they are hunting whales that are not endangered.

20. silentpoet

silentpoet

I just watched the south park documentary about these hippies.