close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Activists attack Japanese whalers with paintball guns

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

Feb 18, 2010 (12:11a CST)
    By KRISTEN GELINEAU (Associated Press Writer)

SYDNEY - A group of conservationists threw bottles of butyric acid at Japanese whalers and blasted their ship with paint balls, while the Japanese fired water cannons in their latest Antarctic Ocean clash, both sides said Thursday.

[​IMG]

No one was injured in Wednesday's confrontation, the most recent in a string of increasingly aggressive clashes between U.S.-based activist group Sea Shepherd and the whaling fleet. Japan condemned the conservationists' actions as dangerous and violent. Sea Shepherd said they are simply doing what is necessary to protect whales.

Sea Shepherd has long used butyric acid, produced from rancid butter, in their annual fight to stop the whalers and maintains that the substance is nontoxic.

Earlier this month, Japan claimed three crew members on one of its whaling vessels suffered face and eye injuries from an acid attack.

"We don't throw acid on them - we throw rotten butter, which technically is butyric acid," Sea Shepherd founder Paul Watson told The Associated Press by satellite phone from the Antarctic on Thursday. "We've been throwing rotten butter at them for five years."

Watson said his crew also shot paint balls at the Nisshin Maru to cover up a sign that said "research."

Japan hunts hundreds of mostly minke whales - which are not an endangered species - in Antarctic waters each year under its whaling research program, an allowed exception to the International Whaling Commission's 1986 ban on commercial whaling. Whale meat not used for study is sold for consumption in Japan, which critics say is the real reason for the hunts.

Glenn Inwood, spokesman for Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research, which sponsors the whale hunt, called Sea Shepherd's use of paint projectiles dangerous.

On Monday, Sea Shepherd activist Peter Bethune jumped aboard the Shonan Maru 2 from a Jet Ski with the stated goal of making a citizen's arrest of the ship's captain and presenting him with a $3 million bill for the destruction of the Ady Gil.

He was taken into custody by the whalers and will face charges in Japan of trespassing and assault.

"If they hit somebody on the boats, they could easily kill them," Inwood said.

Earlier this month, Sea Shepherd's ship the Bob Barker and a Japanese harpoon boat collided, causing minor damage to both vessels. On Jan. 6, a Japanese whaler struck Sea Shepherd's high-tech speedboat Ady Gil, which sank a day later. No one was seriously injured in those incidents.

http://kai03.qwest.com/WindowsLive/...9DUDK7G0@news.ap.org&client=landingpage&qid=0

2. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Geeeez... These conservationists/ terrorist need to be sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

3. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

I honestly do not understand why the Japanese Self-Defense Force doesn't send a Frigate or two out there to deal with this nonsense. Their citizens are being harassed and put in danger by those morons. I am not a fan of whaling either, but endangering human life in protest is ridiculous. Eric

4. Eric

I just had a brilliant, pain-killer induced idea: What if we pool our resources and buy our own boat? We could give it a cool name & paintjob, buy some pirate outfits and then go harass the harassers. We could turn that two-ring circus into a righteous three-ringer. I bet that a delegation of volunteers from a site like this could find a hell of a lot more creative and affective ways to harass another vessel than those dumbasses have come up with. We could end up with our own reality TV show. GT On The High Sea. Just think of it... I wonder if Jimmy Buffet ever recorded any maritime battle hymns? We'll need a flag too, folks. Can any of you sew? Eric

5. Smashy

Smashy

Who ya gonna call....

[​IMG]

6. Eric

So, there is no interest in taking to the high seas, then? :dunno::supergrin:

7. Kahrguy330

Kahrguy330 I don't believe

Eh, I get sea sick...

8. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

I'm definitely game Sir! Count me in! And I can run the all heck out of a sewing machine... just don't tell anyone. And yes the creative ideas would have these fools, unfortunately, surrender in one day. Lets do it.

9. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

I vote for throwing meat at them. I've watched the show and they're all vegans on the Sea Sheeple ship. Some raw meat on the deck and they'd be running for the hills.

I'm pretty sure being involve with piracy on the high seas would have a negative impact on my security clearance. Otherwise I'd TOTALLY be down with that.

10. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

It sounds kind of daring but I think Godzilla is a better person to handle it. :supergrin:

11. silentpoet

silentpoet

I am game, Eric, for fighting hippies.

12. nmk

nmk

Oh dear. Count me in. :cool:

13. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Edit. didn't know i double post.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  14. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Count me in. :supergrin:

15. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

Whale makes for some thick cuts... throwing down a 3' x 3' slab of minke belly makes an impressive statement :supergrin:

16. Morgo

Morgo

I wonder if they actually did use paintball guns and where are they going to come to port next?

17. dahahn

dahahn

Italicized part I could not agree more with.

Their Wikipedia says that Sea Shepherd claim to have sunk 10 ships, causing millions in damage, so when a Japanese vessel rams them BECAUSE THEY CUT IN FRONT OF IT, they serve a "citizen's arrest" and a bill for $3M.

Something here isn't right. First, where is their check for the millions of dollars in damages they've caused? Secondly...A CITIZEN'S ARREST WHERE? You are not citizens of the same country, ***wipes.

I too don't agree with whaling at all, pretty adamantly, but Sea Shepherd seems pretty determined to turn everyone off of anti-whaling. If my choices were anti-whaling with Sea Shepherd, or whaling with the Japanese government, I'm choosing whaling. I don't like it, but I abhor Sea Shepherd.

EDIT: They've gone from loud speakers to water cannons, water cannons to bottles of butyric acid, from butyric acid to paintball guns...does anyone else think there is a disturbing trend here?

18. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Eric count me in on the fun...:supergrin:

19. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

1. Can we bring beers on our boat?
    2. Can we board vessels and bear mace people and call them bra?
    3. Can I have a cool name like Jack Sparrow?

20. speedsix

speedsix

Maybe they could crash into each other and kill two birds with one stone.

I am sorry but I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for whalers. I don't like hippies either but I don't really see a good and bad to this story, just shades of bad and badder.

It is like the old saying: In a game of losers, there are no winners.