Active shooter bag contents

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ctaggart, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ctaggart

ctaggart

I'm putting together an active shooter bag and was curious to who also carried them and what the contents are. Currently the only bag I have to carry with me in an active shooter scenario is basically a mag pouch that contains 4 30 round Ar mags and two glock mags.

I'd like to carry a couple other things such as a quick clot, chest seal for sucking chest wound, etc. Just fishing for other ideas I guess. Obviously I don't want to lug around a bunch of ****, just the essentials.

2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Do a search, active shooter bags, vests, bug out bags, perimeter bags, etc. have all been covered to death here.

That being said, don't forget an extra pair of Danner boots and a spare set of keys to the Carbon Motors E7.

3. MedicOni

MedicOni

I just hide behind officers while carrying a big orange bag

4. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The proper way is to hide behind a wall of bullets and then eject the mag on your duty gun and go forward with your BUG.

5. MedicOni

MedicOni

I just let them do that :p And I just realized yet again I'm crashing one of ya'll topics, so I'll head out now

6. fuzzyduck

fuzzyduck

Medic,

I think that it can be taken that at times topics are covered ad nauseum.

However, I would say that a bag with some basic emergency medical equpiment and enough ammo to cover a period of time would be appropriate. I might even throw in a flashlight and a bottle of water in case it takes a long time and you dont have enough time/ability to go back to the rig.

7. ctaggart

ctaggart

Well I apologize if this has been covered ad nauseum. If nobody want's to offer anything of value, a link would be in order. Otherwise, let the thread die.

8. fuzzyduck

fuzzyduck

wow, I offerred some suggestions that I thought might be of value to what you had. Guess I am just an *** for giving a POSSIBLE reason someone had something poor to say that offended you.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I don't have the links but what I am saying is that if you do a simple search, you would get all the answers without having to wait for people to come in and rehash everything, but more likely than not, you'll get the same thing to tell you to do a search.

10. ctaggart

ctaggart

Well, I've never been offended. So you're good there. Maybe I should have expanded upon what I carry on my person first. I already have a light on my belt and a tiny Fenix light in my pocket, so the lighting situation is covered. Basic medical supplies that I have thought of so far are only quick clot and a sucking wound bandage, however I just thought of putting a tourniquet in the bag too. Water bottle is a good idea but on the other hand, I'd rather go into an active shooter scenario with an empty bladder so I don't piss myself.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Celox and a combat tourniquet are two good items. Don't forget the all-important sucking chest wound pack with the saran wrap. In an active shooter situation, a sucking chest wound is a very likely type of trauma you have to deal with as the first on scene... heck, it could be one of your partners you save.

When we did an active shooter training scenario, they placed a dummy in there dressed as a deputy and when we came into the room and saw a downed deputy, of course we called it out and two assumed security coverage while the other two went to BLS to save the deputy. Well, they rigged it so the dummy started squirting blood out of a sucking chest wound from a gunshot to the sternum.

We had to break out our medical kit and go to work to seal off the chest wound and stabilize the collapsed lung. That was a good training session.

12. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

I now carry a vest with rifle plates due to the increase in BG's with long guns around the country. In it other then the obvious extra rifle/handgun ammo I carry:

Door Stops
    Para Cord
    Light Sticks
    Multi Tool
    North American Rescue Dragon Handle System and Hasty Harness for Evacution in high threat enviroment
    CAT-(Tourniquet) also from NArescue.com
    Marker (use high vis color) for marking rooms / tourniquet application

Med kit w/
    Guaze (Cling) for wound packing
    Trauma Shears
    Israeli Bandage
    Med tape (can use Israeli Bandage package w/ 3 sides taped down for chest seal
    Gloves

Planning on getting Quick Qlot Combat Gauze (One of our Reserves is an Army Doctor and frows on use of the Quick Clot powder unless last resort.)
    and a couple Tac Wedges to replace the standard door stops. Also might go for a ARS Needle for chest decompression and a hyfin chest seal but won't carry any more then that.

Don't carry too much because you don't want to carry too much weight around. The med kit is a place where you can shave down a lot of weight. Stick with the basics and don't carry lots of little bandages or any antibiotic creams / wound cleaning stuff. You really don't need to carry that much to stablize and extract the casualty. If you are hunting the suspect in a Active Shooter situation you'll be looking to stop the threat and will not be treating injured parties. Leave the medical treatment to others better equiped when the scene is safe. Your med kit will be to treat yourself or another officer while you eliminate the threat. You don't need to provide advanced care just stop the bleeding and GET OUT to advanced treatment (usually the ambulance) ASAP!

This is just my opinion on what to carry from classes I've taken and experiences here (had an active shooter here in 06).

13. MedicOni

MedicOni

I want to point out that the creams and ointments are usually wasted space. EMS/EDs are going to clean that stuff out of the wound upon examination and closing/bandaging.

14. G-man

G-man Millennium Member

COLOSHOOTR,

When and if you get a chance could you post a pic of that set up...sounds cool and makes sense rather then hauling a large pack around, your set up offers protection too!

G-man
    1*

15. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

My rig (we can't carry rifles):

Maxpedition FR1 pouch with a shoulder strap
    5 Glock 19 mags
    Quickclot
    Tourniquet
    Several OB Bullet tampons
    Medium sized gauze pad
    Roll of cling dressing / kerlex

Goal was to have a small, readily accessible bag to carry spare ammo and first aid items to keep me in the fight.

16. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Saran wrap won't offer enough rigidity to stabilize a wound like what you describe.

The large gauze pad, if left in it's unopened wrapper, will. So will a gloved hand, or hell, an ungloved hand for that matter.

I also really don't encourage anyone to carry a chest decomression kit, unless you have the medical training to back it up. I have the medical training and I still don't carry one. But... if you really just gotta carry one, save your money and ask EMS to give you a 14 ga IV catheter. That will serve the purpose nicely.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I know it's not Saran Wrap... but that's what we called it for lack of a better word. We have the kit in every patrol car as part of our first aid bag, along with the regular stuff and a CPR face mask so we don't have to get to know the victim that well. We all got training on how to use it. Now whether or not we retain that training well enough to use it, I won't get into since there are people who just don't care enough to stay on top of it.

18. G-man

G-man Millennium Member

I was just given new CPR training as well as AED, that instructs that there is no need to go mouth to mouth, just chest compressions, as many as 100 per minute constant.

There is enough air in the lungs to circulate oxygen into the blood stream.

Don't know if any of you guys got this newer method or not.

G-man
    1*

19. RF7126

RF7126

I was taught that as well, at least in cases of an adult collapsing (i.e. cardiac arrest or similar). However, I was told that with an unconscious child there is more of a risk of there being a breathing problem and breaths/oxygen may be necessary.

20. MedicOni

MedicOni

With children, the primary cause of cardiac arrest is respiratory failure. So breathing is much more important with them