active dial-up networking error

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by OldUglyNAngry, Sep 9, 2007.

1. OldUglyNAngry

OldUglyNAngry

Good Morning All,

This is my first time to post at this site so thanks in advance for your help.

Got an e-mail and a call from from my mother saying she keeps getting an error while playing her favorite games at POGO.com. I did a quick search and can't find any real info.

The error is:
    "there is an active dial-up networking connection suspending your machine"

When this happens, her PC freezes and she is forced to turn it off. I guess this happended to her twice last night. She uses AOL and a dial-up connection with a millenium 2000 operating system.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this to avoid future 7:00 am calls on a Sunday.

Thanks for you help!

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Are you SURE that's what it says?

It seems to be a fragment from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/267642

Does it only do it on this one site?

My Millenium Edition (not related to 2000 in any way) skills are weak, as I avoided that disaster like the plague.

Assuming the messages are related, I can't think of any good reason the system would be trying to go into suspend all by it's lonesome, but failures in that part of the operating system are legion. I would suspect either malware of some sort or imminent hardware failure. Maybe the system trying to go to sleep because the CPU is overheating...