Acting Navy Secretary steps on it.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Apr 7, 2020.

1. TwoAnoles

TwoAnoles

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you make of all the sailors in the background saying “WTF” and making commentary. I think it shows a general lack of discipline overall in our armed forces.

I know back in my Marine days, if the SECNAV was delivering a speech to us, no matter how controversial the topic, our souls would literally be destroyed for the rest of our enlistment if we were yelling stuff out like that.

There’s honestly very little that I disagree with the SECNAV on. Pretty much every statement is true. They’re scared now? What are they going to be like when trading shots with Russia or China?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Bus007 and snerd like this.
  2. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

Deanster and willie_pete like this.

3. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

After 8 years of Obama, it’s a touchy/feely military now.

ETA: not to downplay that ours is the best military in the world, in spite of efforts to undermine it by the golden child.

bdcochran likes this.
  4. WT

WT Millennium Member

SECNAV is gone!

POTUS made him 'walk the plank'.

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

It's my understanding that the FORMER SECNAV was giving his "pep talk" over a PA system, and nobody was actually in the same room, when the comments were made.

Modly was WRONG in calling Capt. Crozier names to Crozier's crew.
    Unprofessional. Unethical. NO Class.

I don't give a _ _ _ _ who he thinks he is.

Yes, Crozier's career is most likely over. I applaud him for TRYING to get help for his crew.

6. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

POTUS had nothing to do with it. The article clearly stated that. He resigned on his own.

7. TwoAnoles

TwoAnoles

That makes sense now, if it was over a PA.

8. WT

WT Millennium Member

The POTUS says "I want your resignation on my desk within the next hour."

Yup, he resigned.

Resignation looks better on a resume as opposed to being fired.

Detectorist, Deanster and TACLOAD like this.
  9. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Tony, I think that's the first thing I've ever read of yours that didn't seem spot on.

Yeah, he 'resigned on his own'.

Probably to 'spend more time with his family'.

Certainly not after a call from the White House and/or SecDef. Nope.

Totally on his own initiative, completely his idea. ;)

byf43 likes this.
  10. Velvetfoot

Velvetfoot

11. Deltic

Deltic

I don't see any way a young, healthy crew is going to have anywhere near the same death rate as the civilian population. The only risk factor that might be common is smoking and I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's not easy to be a heavy smoker on a Navy ship.
    The idea that effectiveness ends when the first sailor dies seems a little strange. I could see the ability of the ship going down but even if things got bad they could still launch and recover planes. I suspect that anyone in really bad shape would be flown to a hospital and be replaced quickly. These things can carry 26 passenger or 12 stretchers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

F106 Fan, Deanster and MulletLoad like this.
  13. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

The death rate for young people is around 0.2% - very low, as you said. However, being confined to a petri dish just about guarantees reinfection, if that is possible. It isn't a given that people build up an immunity.

You could make the argument that the fatalities would be only 0.2% of 5000 or about 10. But you could also find yourself on a ventilator for a long period of time with a total downtime of 2 or 3 weeks and not be a fatality but with long term lung damage.
    The first problem is fear. Fear that the guy standing next to you is asymptomatic and you are about to get infected. Fear that you can't see a virus coming. Fear that you're going to be in that 0.2%. And so on... As soon as a sailor is distracted from the task at hand, bad stuff can happen.

One thing that is fairly certain: 100% of the sailors on board are going to get infected. Social distancing won't work so it's really just a matter of 3 or 4 weeks before the entire crew is down. Replacing a dozen fatalities is probably pretty easy, the fleet will have adequate resources. Replacing an entire crew on an unfamiliar ship might be a lot more difficult.

To drive this home, they have offloaded over 3000 sailors so far. Where do you find 3000 replacements, fully qualified in operations on that ship? Isn't the ship still tied up in Guam? Somebody doesn't think it is combat ready!

I see where the Captain has also tested positive. Now who is going to call the shots (had he not been fired)? The XO is next up but it's almost certain he will test positive in the very near future.

That ship went out of service when the first case was diagnosed. The Navy just didn't know it! They do now...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    wanderinwalker and Deanster like this.
  14. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Sure he did. . .
    Right after he got a phone call telling him to resign or be fired. . .

Detectorist likes this.
  15. bdcochran

bdcochran

https://www.lacortenews.com/n/ex-u-...ail&utm_term=0_76634a41c9-9485430e34-72990183

The cost of the Navy Secretary flying to Guam was $243,000! I already provided an analysis of how there may have been a good strategic reason for the relief of the Captain and the potential cost of American lives "in peace time". I will never know. I also will never know whether the address to the ship's company was designed for a reason other than demonstrating that even with a day or so to get one's thoughts straight, the Navy Secretary was not the guy who should lead the Navy.

All I am relating is the cost of the trip.

16. Detectorist

Detectorist

I think there is a possibility the Captain may be reinstated. It looks like he was a good commander before all this political stuff happened.

vote Republican likes this.
  17. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I doubt it. He may land on his feet, but he won't be driving any more boats.