Acting Navy Secretary steps on it.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Apr 7, 2020.

1. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

I believe you're onto something.
    Surely a CO of an aircraft carrier is smart enough to know, of the folks he chose to receive his letter, one or more would leak it.
    Right or wrong, I believe that was by his design.
    We don't know how soon he chose that option.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    happyguy and JoeCitizen like this.
  2. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

If you haven't had the chance yet, take a few minutes and listen to Modly's speech... It's really extraordinary - attacking Crozier, chastising the crew for cheering for him, etc.

You can hear crew members yelling 'wtf!?!' at a couple different points.

I guess you shouldn't be so stupid and naive as to think you can give a speech to thousands of people without someone leaking it to the press...

https://soundcloud.com/paul-szoldra...ier-to-sailors-onboard-uss-theodore-roosevelt

TACLOAD, byf43 and happyguy like this.

3. Deanster

Obviously, there's a lot we don't know here, but it sure looks to me like Modly is trying to cover his/his team's poor and slow response by making it all Crozier's fault.

Why the hell would someone write a letter like that if the lines of communication were open, and the Navy was responding rapidly and effectively? That letter is what you write when you've done everything you can through normal channels, and get shut down by people more interested in CYA for their careers than the well-being of the troops.

There's clearly a lot going on we don't know about, but everything I've seen and read points to Modly trying to make Crozier the fall guy, when really it's the Navy/Pentagon/Modly that fell short and left the guys on the ship hanging without the help they needed.

I hope Modly and everyone else involved joins Crozier on a nice deployment to an Aleutian Island weather station.

4. Deanster

If someone thought that 100/250/500 US Sailors/Airmen dead was an appropriate price to pay for maintaining the appearance of readiness on a peacetime non-combat/non-crisis deployment, they should be headed to prison, IMHO.

There certainly may be circumstances where that'd be an appropriate choice, but I see no evidence that this was anywhere near that.

In particular, here's an article from March 26 (four days before the letter incident) saying that TR was pulled off deployment and was at the carrier pier in Guam for COVID management/isolation. https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...d-be-the-canary-in-the-coal-mine-for-the-navy

5. dlharper

dlharper

Maybe he was smart enough to know as soon as the crew started getting infected is career was over; he's inescapably responsible for every nut, bolt, and person on that ship. He would have lost his command for having that many sick and dead, his fault or not. I'm more curious as to whose brilliant idea it was to have liberty in Vietnam during the virus outbreak.

Deltic and serve_and_protect like this.
  6. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

That's a good question, and I heard some rumblings that it wasn't the captains.

serve_and_protect likes this.
  7. Deanster

8. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    Seems a degree isn't what it used to be?

In related news, 63% of TR crew tested, 173 positive.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Ramjet38 likes this.
  9. bfg1971

bfg1971

Where did you find that percentage? Last number I saw was barely over 200 people testing positive.

I'm hoping your number is incorrect. Seems likely that it is wrong, i found a website saying 61% have been tested.

10. Terry G

Terry G

Liberty in Viet Nam? God stone the Crows! Is this common? Maybe they're are "Friends" now?

VA27 likes this.
  11. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    I misread it, and have corrected it.

12. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

13. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

So did I, well the first 5 or 6 minutes anyway. He was getting on my nerves. I didn't like his tone, what he was saying or how he was saying it.
    I guess he thought it was a good idea to cuss, because he was addressing sailors, but a man in his position should not have a potty mouth, while giving a speech. Maybe he always talks like that. Unprofessional.

serve_and_protect, Deanster and byf43 like this.
  14. Detectorist

Detectorist

The former commander of my USAR command was a Brigadier General who believed in the carrot and stick approach. He would admonish us commanders in public in a general way but never on a personal basis. In private meetings with him, one could be frank and shoot the breeze. He had the goods, though. He was awarded 2 Silver Stars for combat in Korea. He earned our respect and gave us lots of autonomy to run our units as we liked.

Deanster likes this.
  15. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

16. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

:rolleyes:

Deanster and Ramjet38 like this.
  17. RenoF250

RenoF250

If everyone on the list was appropriate, why not go after the one that leaked rather than blame the person sending the mail. The navy should not have people that want to leak navy info.

How do we know Modly didn't leak it himself?

serve_and_protect and byf43 like this.
  18. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Got him out of the way and awaiting a new appointment.

willie_pete likes this.