Act now!!!!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Fireglock, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Well it's a year of change at GSSF! The new membership fees start April 1st. Plain jane memberships go up $10.00. Check out the Hot Topics. Looks like the Gunny and Team Glock are going to cost us a little more. ;Q

2. flaco

flaco

I think that I'll wait.

Imagine the disappointment for all the shooters that "Act Now" only to "Find Out Later" that their match is cancelled this year.

GSSF needs to tell people whats going on!!!!!

Flaco

3. Fireglock

I wasn't encouraging anyone to renew, I was merely parroting their "splash" screen. I too will wait.

4. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

A while back a wise man once said...

Apparently Gaston reads this forum!!!

;g

5. Fireglock

After patting yourself on the back, add 20,000 members at 25.00, now 35.00 a head. That's no room for profit?

6. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

That's a lot of room for profit and GSSF just found even more room for profit!

7. flaco

flaco

GSSF is as entitled as any other company to make a profit, and they should.
    I however find it a little 'deceptive' on their part to encourage people to 'Act Now' when it appears that one or more of the venues wont be available for the upcoming season.

Flaco

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

GSSF did not fall apart when the Indy Club cancelled the match for several years. GSSF did not fall apart when Harvard cancelled one of the favorite matches on the ticket. Why should GSSF fall apart with the loss of Carrollton?

As far as dues and rates, I've been a member since 1999 and do not recall any increases during that time, even though the consumer price index has increased each year since then.

9. glockNstein

glockNstein

Does this mean the match entry fees are going up as well?;0

10. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

Jerry

I dont think that GSSF has anywhere close to 20,000 (or whatever) paying members.

seems like what they do is keep a persons number in the computer even after they stop being members (they die, or move on to other games, etc) to keep things simple.

This is kindof like how GT has over 43,000 registered users - 40,000 of them have less than 15 posts total and no posts within the last year. Only a very small % of GT accounts are what I would call active.

It just sounds more impressive to say "over 43,000 registered users".

GSSF membership #'s? - Just for giggles, lets assume that throughout the entire year each GSSF member only were to shoot only one category at only one match.

This would give 350 participants at each of the 31 small matches through the year. And for giggles, lets say Conyers is 700 shooters.

31*350 + 700 = 11,550

Ignoring those who have paid their GSSF dues but chose not to participate (Im sure there are a few), we can see that if everyone only shot one category at one match then there would be 11,550 paying members.

Of course we know that many shooters shoot two, three, or more entries per match, and likewise, they may hit multiple matches, for this reason I would expect the total paid membership in any given year to be a lot less than 11,550

I wouldnt be surprised if the total number of paid GSSF memberships in any given year is closer to 2,000 than 20,000.

but then as they say - the figures don't lie - it's the liars that are doing the figureing.

11. Rusty Phillips

some more figuring

from Conyers last year

I got 545 shooters X 25 a piece (ignoring some who paid the late fee) for $13,625 in entry fees

I counted NINETEEN Glocks given away including the G37 drawing but excluding the RO's guns (how many RO guns do they give away at Conyers?)

lets be generous to Glocks bottom line and (under?) value em at $200 a piece

19x200 = $3800

and I added up $5600 in cash awards (should have been $5675 but no junior females entered am-civ to claim that prize)

throw in a Glock or two for the RO raffle and you are at ten thousand in prizes, and you still have to have the kickback to the host range, (what is that - $5 per entry? 545 x $5 = $2725

and we havent even started to look at the cost to send smiling cheerful GSSF reps to the match, or to pay for their salaries doing all the admin stuff that they do throughout the year, etc.

I disagree with anyone who believes that the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation is a lucrative venture. I think that Gaston is being very generous to support this "project", and perhaps we need to do more to thank him and the staff in Smyrna.

Let me put it another way, if GSSF was a cash cow, every other gun company would be doing it too!

one final thing - at Conyers last year there were 48 entries in the Am Guardian class, and thirty of those entrants won at least $25,

I realize this is an extreme example - but where else can you enter a match and have almost a 66% chance of winning back your entry fee?

12. Fireglock

Rusty, don't drink the kool-aid.

13. Rusty Phillips

drink it? ha!

I've been snorting it!

14. Fireglock

Hey Rusty,

I found this in a post from somebody you trust:

"I saw that thread. The author says it's out, but he cannot seem to tell what't in it. The Glock version debuts at the shot show in Mid-February. Around the first of March, GSSF begins sending out copies to it's 40,000+ members. I usually get mine around April."

This was January 2003 but hey, maybe they lost 38,000 in 2 years.

15. Rusty Phillips

Hey Jerry

Love ya man, but you are a stubborn old cuss.

Check your email re:Richmond.

Back to the GSSF numbers - actually, in the 2004 reference edition GSSF commemorates their 60,000th member - Mr. Michael Elick of Cincinatti Ohio - but I still contend that that 60k+ number - whatever it is - is of present AND past, active AND inactive, paid AND unpaid memberships.

because - if we had 60,000 active and dues paying members and everyone in GSSF only attended one match and only shot one category at each match then there would be 60 GSSF matches across the country each with over a thousand shooters, and we know this is not the case.

I still bet that the total number of present / active / dues paying members is closer to 2000 than 20,000 (or 40 or 60k) and I will be glad to buy a couple of drinks for the person that can prove me wrong.

PS - Im thinking about going ahead and getting the 5 year membership at the current price ($90) because after april 1 that's what the 3 year membership is gonna cost, so I would in effect - be getting two years for FREE baby!

16. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Rusty; save even more and sign up to be a "Lifer" I did that about 5 years ago and it's great. Did the same with the NRA and B.A.S.S.

17. Rusty Phillips

I would definitely do it if I could - but you forget that Im married to Spenderella.

18. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Hey; just let the "Band" sponsor you and pay your life membership and maybe they can use it as a tax write-off.^1 Becarefull "Spenderella" may be reading G/T and then you will be in a Heep of trouble.;U ;U ;U ;U ;I ;I ;I

19. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I'm not sure yet which side of the fence I'm gonna be on with this issue...But, it's a pretty suspect story that only has one side, and a pretty thin sheet of paper that only has one side...
    Let's keep in mind that every penny that Glock Inc. spends on GSSF
    is tax-deductable as "promotion and advertising".
    I believe that we can all agree if a club was going to need to purchase range items for a match that "MORE" lead time would be better than "LESS" lead time.
    A shoot that has a match lat(er) in the year may have enuff time to get the funds to do [it].
    One thing that I DO find troubling is the fact that 2005 is 20% GONE and we are waiting for match dates and match confirmations are seemingly not complete.
    Anybody that can find comfort in the fact the schedule ISN'T set please exlain that to me!
    There are matches I wanna go to, but I'll be darned if I can plan for them- I don't know when they ARE! Like others, I've taken new shoters that became GSSF members to shoots, but it's tuff to sell a prospective member"Hey buddy,wanna go to a shoot with me? I don't know when it is, or if they're still gonna have it, but I CAN tell you it'll be a load of fun if we get to go..." and 2005 is already 1/5(soon to be 1/4 gone).

20. Fireglock

Yes I am. I'm through since it's all speculation anyway. This is just a case of the "golden rule" and you either learn to live with it or you don't. I worked for a city for 24 years, I know how the game is played. ;)