close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Acquired Gen 2 Glock 19 From Dad

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by viperkp, Feb 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. viperkp

viperkp

Hey All,

I recently acquired my Dad's Gen 2 Glock 19 which, until just a few years ago when I was in college, I did not know we had around the house growing up. Being of Asian descent (Korean-American, to be exact), I never fathomed that a gun, which I know we have the Constitutionally given right to possess, would be something my Dad would own. Anyways, my Dad told me about the gun after I had expressed that I wanted to get a handgun for protection should zombies ever come to existence or some sort of catastrophic event happen where the world is in complete chaos. My dad chuckled as he told my mom, "I guess all boys are the same. They have an innate need to protect things." He offered to give me his gun and now I am in possession of it!

Based on the serial number, it was made in July of 1993. I called Glock and they said that there were no "upgrades" for my gun since it has a 3-letter prefix. In my estimation, my Dad fired very few rounds through it and has kept it in storage for at least 15 years.

That being said, I took it to the range the other day and shot 100 rounds through it with no failures. I had decent groupings (for only having shot a gun 2 times prior) at various distances and came home with a smile from ear to ear. Once home, I gave it a much needed clean with Hoppe's No. 9 Solvent and Gun Lubricant.

My goal is to get as proficient with my gun as possible. To achieve this aim, I want to make sure that my gun is in perfect working order. Having been in storage for over a decade, what are some things that I need to replace, and what are some things I should replace?

Again, Glock told me there were no upgrades needed on the gun, but I thought I saw that all Glocks made in 1993 had a firing pin upgrade. If anyone knows more about this, any info would be much appreciated.

Oh, and this is a great community with tons of helpful people with insightful responses. I spent many hours on this forum over the past couple weeks prior to picking up my Glock and have learned so many things. Thank you for taking the time to read my post about my first gun! Now, for your visual pleasure, some pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Field Stripped 1.jpg

Field Stripped 2.jpg

With Mags.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. OSUJEEPER

OSUJEEPER

COngrats on the new glock. I to am getting a gen 2,for my first glock as well, but off a friend. Let me know how your experience goes as you get more used to the gun. Can't wait to get mine.

3. viperkp

viperkp

Thanks OSUJEEPER! The gun fits perfectly in my hand (I'm 5'8") and shoots wonderfully, even after being in storage for 15+ years. After looking at pictures and reading threads on this forum, I've realized that maybe the no finger-grooves of the Gen 2 is better suited for me than the finger-grooves of the Gen 3 and 4 which are made with larger hands in mind (or maybe I'm just rationalizing!). Either way, I'm super excited to own my first gun. :wavey:

4. Osborne

Osborne

Looks awesome thanks for posting pictures, gratz on the gun! From what I hear you cant beat the gen 2's!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. GlockGuyGip

GlockGuyGip

6. 9L0ck

9L0ck

Nice and congrats

7. tonyparson

tonyparson

8. Gaucho

Gaucho Jungian

I have had my gen2 17 since 94 and have never done anything to it except clean it and it shoots like a champ.

9. smitty704

smitty704

What a sweet gun! Congrats on that nice acquisition. Now go shoot it til your hand hurts and tell us how it treated you. :)

smitty

10. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

My old neighbor that I shared a back alley with was from the first group of boat people from Vietnam. He is tough as a boot and truly great guy. In our back alley garage talks he saw me come in one evening from bird hunting and then started asking me about firearms.

He related that he owned 7 nail salons and always carried back deposits. I got him suggested he try a Springfield Armory Commander style frame 1911 .45. It was neat watching him get into shooting.

You have a very nice pistol and one with a lot of sentimental value. Your Grandkids will enjoy it someday too.

11. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

PS: I hate to stir up old embers but it was neat seeing well-armed Americans of Korean heritage defend their stores and homes during the Rodney King riots. If that doesn't convince a person of the need to be armed, nothing will.

12. mgo

mgo

I really like the gen2 (and gen1) Glocks because their smoother grip sides make for more comfortable concealed carry when they are against the bare skin. Many earlier Glocks are set up for stouter ammo than the reloads one finds at the indoor ranges. Stick with the factory new +P ammo. You will not need to practice much to make you proficient at defensive distances. Also, I prefer a quality kydex holster that does not require the gun to be taken out or put back in when the pistol is put on. (that short stroke trigger and all...)

13. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Congrats on the 19 bro! I wish my dad had handed me down a Glock - it would mean more to me than anything.

14. viperkp

viperkp

Thanks for all the positive responses! This community is definitely a welcoming one. Speaking of the LA Riots of 92, that was exactly the reason my dad decided to purchase the gun. He was in LA at the time and told me he saw pillars of smoke on the other side of LA and realized he needed something to protect his family should things go awry again. Thank goodness for his conscientiousness, because now I'm reaping the benefit! :)

INEEDMILK: This is exactly why this gun means so much to me; because it was given to me by my Dad. One of the rare American traditions my dad and I have shared, of handing down guns from father to son.

I spoke to my pops earlier and got more info on the gun itself. He said he only fired about 20 rounds through it during 1 range trip before packing it away. So it's basically a new gun :)

I was hoping for some insight on what I need to replace on this gun that has been in storage for over 15 years. Recoil spring? Mag springs? I'm asking because I'm not sure and would like the advice of some of our seasoned pros. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

15. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

I would say all it needs is a good cleaning. Get some Break Free CLP or Eezox and a bore snake and go to town. I would do a You Tube search on field stripping and cleaning the Glock 19. Make sure the weapon is unloaded. Sorry I can help that I guided for seven years and it is a habit I cannot break when it comes to guns.

16. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

Congrats. You just acquired the perfect carry pistol. Other guns coma and go but I carry my Gen 2 G19 every day.

[​IMG]

17. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

Congrats on your new 19. Mine was also handed down from my father.

18. bac1023

bac1023

19. Glock40man

Glock40man

Congrats on your G19 and, welcome to GT!

20. HeliGlock

HeliGlock HeliGlock

Congrats and Shoot it well. Practice with it as much as you can.