close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

acoustic guitars

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M1A Shooter, Feb 27, 2010.

1. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

what would be a good acoustic to start learning on? ill put the budget around $250. i have started learning to play several times in the past and would play a few chords in the background for my dad when he played but thats about it. i learned a few Tabs but would only play for a couple weeks and take several years off.

im now at a point where id like to take it a bit more seious so im looking for advice on decent guitars to start with. i would prefer the acoustic guitars as i wont have to buy amps and such as well.

opinions?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. Kabarred

Kabarred

i have a nice fender acoustic I got for $200 and they even threw in a free hardshell case. Shop around a bit and buy one that feels good in your hands. thats the most important part.

3. DB9

DB9

I've only played an electric, but recently thought about getting an accoustic.
    Might look at this.... http://guitar.about.com/od/acousticguitar/tp/top5acoustics.htm

Personally, I always thought Takamine's were pretty sweet, but idk...

For a beginner guitar, probably anything that will stay in tune and is decent will suffice.....

4. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

I've heard really good things about the Fender DG100. IIRC, it should be something like $150-200 but it gets really good ratings on Guitar Center.

5. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

USED

A $250 new guitar is a $250 guitar. Ok, but eh...

A used $250 guitar is a $400+ instrument.
    Better wood. Better frets. Better action. Etc.

In the new category though, both Alvarez and Ibanez make solid top acoustics in that price range.
    I've never played a Fender acoustic that I liked...they sound dead to me, and I know the last one I played didn't have a solid top.

6. spotco2

spotco2

Like someone else said, the most important thing at this point is how it feels in your hands. If it is not comfortable, you will not enjoy playing around with it and learning.

Large music stores like Guitar Center will have people there that can help you pick out something that you will enjoy. Pawn shops are another fantastic place to pick up a nice guitar for well under retail, but be sure to bring a friend that knows guitars to the pawn shop to make sure you get what you are paying for.

I think I paid about $200 for my Ibanez several years ago and I play it on a regular basis. The action is low and the tone is nice.

Some of the early-mid 80's Ovations can be found on the cheap and they had an incredible sound.

I've played some low end Fenders that had horrible action that we never could get out.

7. Puppy

Puppy

I'd probably suggest a Yamaha FG700S in that price range.

8. automatic slim

automatic slim Walmart Shopper

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

10. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

It is hard to find a better value in your price range than a Greg Bennett guitar by Samick.

Honest woods, good workmanship and decent setup out of the box.

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/acousticportal.html

I have a D7 and it is a wonderful guitar. Solid Cedar top, laminated rosewood sides and back, Grover tuners. Has a great tone, lots of projection and is very easy to fret. You can get one of these for less than $300 new.

[​IMG]

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/d7.html

11. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

12. RustySocket

RustySocket

For 250$ look for used guitars

13. NWoutdoor

NWoutdoor

hands down...Yamaha FG700S.
    I own many priced from this guitar ($200) up to a Larrivee L03R (~$1200).
    I keep the Yami out on a stand 24/7 - great sound for the money...If you want to spend $300 you can get the same guitar in Rosewood (FG730S)...I have that one too!

Guitars are like guns though...wife keeps looking for another hobbie that starts wit "gu" to see what I'm doing next...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yamaha FG700S in burst, Yamaha FG730S
    [​IMG]

Need a uke too!
    [​IMG]

14. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Save, make payments if you can, get a good guitar. I think my college guitar, which I still have was about $500 or $600 back in the early 90's, it's an Ibanez R300 cedar with a classical body,steel string. Once I played a Taylor, I became obsessed with getting my hands on one. A $250 guitar isn't going to sound all that great for long. Get a nice used one if you have to.