close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Acoustic guitar players - help needed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Dec 4, 2012.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I want to get my girlfriend an acoustic guitar for Christmas. She has displayed interest in one and it would be a great surprise.
    I know she has played before.

I know that people will say, "it's user preference" but
    a.) She's not picky and
    b.) If it doesn't fit her, she can exchange it
    c.) I want to have it for her to open on Christmas, as I'm not the gift card or "I'll take you to look at it" type.

That being said, I want to try and find a great one for her.
    She plays a variation of all music. I don't want to go more than $500 on the HIGH end.
    I am looking at the Yamaha FG730S which looks great.

At the 500 mark are some beautiful Yamahas, like the LL6 and the LS6. One of them is a bigger guitar. My question is
    -If you could recommend a good all-round guitar
    and what do you think would be a good size for a 5'2" woman?

2. G17Jake

G17Jake

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

3. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

Take a look at Seagull and Alvarez. Some nice models in your price range.

Or be a real man. Chop down a tree and build her one from scratch.:tongueout:

4. JBG30

JBG30

I second Seagull.

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I third a Seagull, but at 5'2" you might want to research "womens models." Companies are now making models that conform a little better to the curves and bumps we all love than a dreadnought does. HH

6. Inebriated

Inebriated

Seagull gets my vote as well. You can get one for $300 and it perform great. Lots of sizes and shapes to fit anyone.

Also, look at Martin's lower priced guitars. The DX models are a great sound for the price.

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

Seagull, folk size.

8. gumpmonkey

gumpmonkey

9. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

The Loar make some great parlor-size guitars. Start with their L200 series and such. Beautiful workmanship and very classic styling.

10. G17Jake

G17Jake

I may have to try a Seagull.

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I've got an older Yamaha I got off a local gun board a few years ago. I actually bought it for my daughter. It's got a fat neck (versus, say, an electric - and I've grown to deal with) and not the fastest playing guitar, but it has some GREAT sound.

The only downside (if you counted this a downside) - it cannot be played quiet. LOL The sucker just RINGS the sound. My (other) daughter has an Ibanez elec/acou that without pickups is VERY soft. You can hammer on that thing and it doesn't sound like anything. Nice for when everyone is asleep in the house. LOL

Go to your local Guitar Center. Check out the USED instruments. Last time I was there, they had a nice Martin with NO issues at about 25% of retail price. It had to be mis-marked. My daughter was heart-set on that Ibanez so we got that instead. :(

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Those are very nice guitars for the money. I'm mostly an electric player, but I've owned many acoustics too and usually play one at home.

OP, you can get a good player in the price range your are looking at, but find somebody who really knows guitars to go with you to pick one. A bad guitar can play and sound like CRAP.

I always buy used because you can get a lot more guitar for the money. I have owned, I would guess, well over 100 guitars in my life and no more than a dozen were bougyht new - probably less. However, buying use takes even more expertise than buying new and more than buying used guns.

Here are some examples of Seagull guitars for under $400:
    http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-14345.htm
    http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-14436.htm
    http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-14312.htm
    http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-14319.htm

13. KCCAD

KCCAD

14. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

I have a Seagull and would highly recomend them.

15. Ralff

Ralff

For $500 you can get one hell of a good guitar. Do you play? I would go to different music stores and get opinions from them (don't buy just off their recommendation, they are salesmen after all). Shop around, look at reviews online, and make a solid educated choice. :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  16. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I also would say that if she's never played before, maybe $500 is too MUCH to spend. I think my Yamaha was $100 or so. Had the action lowered and the instrument looked over for $25 or something at the local music store. Bam. Done.

Go on Craiglist. Not only can you see the deals you get, but you will also see what resale will be if she decides this isn't for her. It ain't pretty.

17. Inebriated

Inebriated

I do agree, somewhat.

If she sticks with guitar, she'll pickup on her own preferences and style, and that $500 guitar, while nice for one purpose, won't be what she wants for her purpose, and she'll just have to get a new one. Plus, when it comes to laminate body/sides, you can get a lot of excellent guitars for less than $500.

My recommendation is a Seagull Entourage Grand.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/seagull-entourage-grand-acoustic-guitar

I have their Dreadnaught version of this guitar, and it really is a complete steal for $350 (got mine at GC for $300 during a sale). Action was perfect from the start, and it stays in tune very well, unlike a lot of cheaper guitars. The tone is actually very good. It's bright, and has good volume to it. With the right strings, you can draw out a little more bass and give it a very balanced tone. That Grand is going to be smaller for her, but it's my understanding that they make the body narrower and longer, so you don't lose out on tone.

18. Harper

Harper

Seagull is a good recommendation. They're part of a company called Godin and any of the other brands(Art & Lutherie, Norman,etc) from them would also be worth looking into.
    In general I'd look for:
    1)Proper geometry (meaning an acceptable neck angle, frets and fretboard are level,etc)
    2)OM size or smaller
    3)Solid Top

And in that order of importance. Unfortunately, most people aren't familiar with the geometry involved. Let me know if you have any questions though.

19. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

Thank you all for the replies and recommendations. I do not play myself, no. I don't know the first thing about them. I suppose i have to hunt for somebody to take with me, who plays. :)
    She's played but has never had her own acoustic. I know her, and know although she's petite she doesn't want a scaled down guitar, so I don't want to go for one that's noticeably smaller but I guess a smaller size regular guitar if that makes sense.

20. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Another recommendation for a Seagull series. Mine's the Performer CW GT model, either acoustic or electric playable. Great guitars for aaround $500 or less. :cool:

[​IMG]