Acetylene/oxy tank pressure question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by racer11, Feb 14, 2017.

1. racer11

racer11

This is just for cutting steel,,,,,

What range should my line pressure be for both the Acet and Oxy.

I have a target to make.

2. RenoF250

RenoF250

janice6 likes this.

3. racer11

racer11

OK,,,,thanks that gives me somewhere to start, from reading the chart,,,,,Now off to the shop............

4. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

I've been taught not to exceed 7 for Acet.
    Burning up to 3/8" plate with about 40 O2

Mark2Glock likes this.
  5. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

8 and 40 is a good starting point, tweak from there for clean cut.

Mark2Glock likes this.
  6. racer11

racer11

Thanks guys,,,,,, I'm going to cut out a couple of different shapes of steel to mount on a stand for reactive type target's. I bought a 550 Dillion so I need something to shoot up ammo so I can use the Dillon,,,,

7. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Well now you have introduced a whole different thread/question.

What steel to use for targets........

Caver 60 likes this.
  8. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Just whatever you do, don't exceed 15 lb on the acetylene or you could go K!Boom.

For cutting, I normally use 5 psi acet, 35 to 40 psi O2.

Make sure your tip is clean. When you hit the O2 lever, the flame plume should not get distorted.

I have only cut up to 1" thick mild steel but that setting was fine for everything from 1/4" to 1".

janice6 and Diesel_Bomber like this.
  9. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

F.Y.I. High chromium steel is tough to cut with a torch. I would prefer to use a plasma arc cutter for alloy steel if you can get your hands on one. It can cut any kind of metal.

mj9mm likes this.
  10. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

This is the standard with the Boilermakers. If you pull the cutting head and go to a rosebud, back off the oxy to about 8 or you get big booms. People will think the rapture has started.

mj9mm and Diesel_Bomber like this.
  11. Caver 60

Caver 60

8 to 10 on Acet depending on steel thickness and size of tip. You've got to select the correct tip for the steel thickness. There are many charts out there. Again, over 15 on Acet is risking a Ka Boom. I rarely exceed 20 for O2.

Unless I'm using a rosebud. But you don't cut with a rosebud. It's for heating to bend or shape steel.

Another factor not already mentioned, is length of your line hoses. Most standard hoses are about 25 feet. But if you go to longer hoses, a little more pressure might be required (not exceeding, or even getting close to 15 on Acet.

But for most purposes about 8 on Acet is probably best with standard hoses and most tips. And that 8 should be set with Acet flowing . Same with O2.

Light it up, adjust to a neutral flame without pressing the cutting lever. Then press the cutting leaver and re-adjust to a neutral flame. Then release the cutting lever and preheat the steel. When it starts to flow, hit the cutting lever and cut. Remember to 'lead the cut'. In other words, tilt the torch slightly in the direction of the cut.

Also get into the most steady position you can, when the making the cut. The more steady your hands and arms are, the better the cut will be. And wear heavy gloves.

Remember hot steel stays hot long after the glow has disappeared. Don't be in a hurry to pick it up.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    janice6, mj9mm and Kevinr20 like this.
  12. Gmartin

Gmartin

I was taught to use 5 and 25 in high school way back in the early 70's.
    That's all I've ever used and so far, it's worked OK.

13. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Unless you're really comfortable with this, balance having a pro do it vs an ER bill if you make a mistake. See lots of welding injuries in the ER.

14. elsolo

elsolo

You probably see lots of car crash injuries also, but we all still ride in cars.

What kind of welding injuries do you frequently see in the ER?

15. Charley C

Charley C

I enlisted in the Navy in 1951; when I completed Boot Camp< they asked me if I had any idea about what I wanted to "do"; In told them: "yeah, as a matter of fact I have TWO "ideas"!

The first idea was to get duty on the small aircraft carrier, "Philippine Sea", (which at the time was operating so damned close to the beach off the coast of Korea that they were taking a few hits from shore batteries! (And my best friend that I enlisted with was now on the Philippine Sea.)

My second idea was.....because I had worked a short time in the sheet metal business after graduating from HS, I thought "maybe" I wanted to be a "Shipfitter".

Apparently the Bureau of Personnel thought my "idea #2" was the BEST "idea" because they sent me to Norfolk to take the Navy's 26 week service school for "Metalsmith"

The Navy has a way of teaching people more in six months than most trade schools teach you in 4 years!

And one of main things they taught us was "stick welding" and gas welding and cutting using oxy acetylene.

My very best advice to anyone who wants to use oxygen and acetylene for ANYTHING, would do well to get some professional "training" FIRST! Both of these gases can be very "useful" when you are PROPERLY TRAINED........and both can be extremely "hazardous" when you lack proper training.

I know, I know, we all know dozens of people who have a set of tanks and a cutting torch and have done all manner of things with it with "no problems", right?

On that note, (and even though this happened in the late 1940's before I graduated from HS).....I'll never forget one of my friends and class mates, Linville Johnson; when I was still going to school, it became very popular to buy carbide and make "carbide canons" with it; in case you have never messed around with carbide, when carbide gets water on it, it produces acetylene gas.

Acetylene is a very funny gas; with the roughly 20% of atmospheric oxygen in the air, acetylene produces a vary low temperature and a LOT of "black "soot". but when you combine acetylene with "just the right amount of oxygen.........it burns with a substantially higher temperature. (The big problem arises when you combine it with the "wrong amount" of oxygen and pressure).

Poor Linville Johnson wasn't even using ANY oxygen! just "plain old acetylene"......and instead of making a "carbide canon", (a small tin can with a "press-on" lid, a few pieces of carbide, a few drops of water, a small hole in the bottom end of the can, and a match to the hole while holding the can with your foot.............Linville Johnson decided to make a "carbide VOLCANO"! And the "volcano" only "erupted" ONE time; (which was all it took to blow poor Linville Johnson's scalp and one of his ears, along with much of his face "OFF"!)

Trust me........acetylene gas is VERY hazardous "stuff" for ANYONE lacking in proper training!

mj9mm likes this.
  16. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Incredible number of UV burns to the corneas. Then it's misc burns, foreign bodies to the eyes from wire wheels or various metal/rust particles. Fortunately eyes heal rapidly.

The record setter started as 5 guys drinking in a garage. Suddenly filling balloons with acetylene, taking them out in the desert, and shooting them with a shotgun became a good idea. The dirt roads across the desert when in good shape handle 80 mph easily.
    Anyway, flying low across the desert in a jeep full of drunks and acetylene balloons was going well until apparently a static electricity spark took a liking to one of the balloons. It popped, the rest followed, the top was separated from the jeep, and we had 5 alcohol powered geniuses in the ER with flash burns to face and arms along with the black soot you get from burning acetylene, all had blown out both ear drums, and were walking back and forth from each others rooms trying to talk to each other. Mostly it was loudly yelling "my ears really f***ing hurt" "what? I can't hear you!" "my ears really f***ing hurt!" "what?"

Some nights working in the ER was so entertaining I couldn't believe THEY paid US to be there.

Well, you asked.

TX OMFS, cougar_ml, mj9mm and 2 others like this.
  17. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

My dad was on the Phili Sea then. Ticonderoga class (long hull Essex) were great ships. He served on the arresting gear crew. 51-54. I have his 8mm footage of them getting shelled and strafed while trying to land planes. F4Us coming in so shot to hell they got the pilot out and just shoved the burning airframe over the side.

mj9mm and Paul53 like this.
  18. elsolo

elsolo

Actual burns, or lots of guys who got "flashed" and think they blinded themselves?

As long as you have pretty much any kind of lens, you are very unlikely to get UV burns, but you can get dazzled pretty bad.

But there are a lot of idiots out there, I wouldn't doubt if somebody thought they could just squint enough to mitigate the danger of an arc flash.

Oxy torch doesn't put out nearly the same light as arc welding.

19. blackjack

blackjack

Thanks for the early a.m. laughs. Had to restrain myself so I wouldn't wake up my wife so early.

20. OGW

OGW SAF

One tip for the OP or any inexperienced oxy-acetylene user is that if your torch starts whistling, shut off the acetylene valve on the torch body as fast as is humanly possible.

Caver 60 gave the proper procedure for lighting a cutting torch. If acetylene starts burning back into the torch body, the next thing that happens is a big bang in your hand and the hoses behind you.

janice6, Caver 60 and mj9mm like this.