close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Acer Aspire Notebooks, any good?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TED, Feb 5, 2006.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

Title says it all.

TED

2. pyblood

pyblood

I think that Acer makes a pretty good notebook. They are pretty much the best bang for the buck. I have several Acer notebooks on my notebook and I can say that I haven’t had many problems (that I won’t attribute to employee crumbliness). The only complaint that I have about some Acer notebooks is that on some notebooks the LAN port is on the side of the laptop instead of the rear. Other than that I would say they are pretty decent laptops. IF you ever have a problem out of your notebook, their warranty support is great. If you have to send your notebook in for repair, they’ll send a FedEx guy out with a return tag and you’ll get your notebook back real fast. IF you have a defective part that you can replace, they’ll take a CC number and do an advance replacement or you can send in the bad part and you’ll get the new part pretty quickly!

3. KG4IDA

KG4IDA

They appear to all use Fat32 instead of NTFS for the hard drive. Of course you could always reformat if that bothers you. That put me off buying one and I went with an IBM T40 instead.

4. alank2

alank2

You can always convert the filesystem to NTFS using the "convert x: /fs:ntfs" command. Be aware that it is a one way conversion, no way to go back to FAT/FAT32 once you've done the conversion. But, hey, who'd want to go back!

My latest notebook is an IBM/Lenovo and I've been pleased with it so far. It was a good price for the performance as well. It has a high res screen which may not be for everyone however, 1400x1050. Makes for very small text, which I don't mind but others might.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834146089

Good Luck,

Alan

5. CheesyD

CheesyD Nyet to Marxism

I did a lot of research before ordering a laptop and finally decided on the Acer TravelMate 8100. Should arrive from Newegg this week.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115320

And yeah, you don't have to reformat, just do the convert thing mentioned above... no data loss in doing this either.