close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Acer Aspire 5000 notebook issues

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jmg, Aug 6, 2006.

1. jmg

jmg UCantFixStupid

Hey, all.
    My bro-in-law has the above system. It won't read DVD/ CD's. He just installed Microsoft Digital Image, so it worked recently (installationwent fine).

Putting a CD w/ data saved or a DVD movie in, and it won't recognize or even show the DVD/CD drive. It worked at one time.

Drivers are updated...

Any input is welcomed! Thanks!

2. pyblood

pyblood

Does the drive show up in My Computer?
    Have you checked the device manager?

3. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

Have you tried unistalling and then reinstalling the device drivers?

Have you tried a system restore to a date when it did work?

My guess is that the device driver has had some form of conflict with the program you installed and the driver may show to be working properly when it is really not.

4. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

oh, and check msconfig to see if the device is set to boot on startup.

5. tmoncmm

tmoncmm

If the drive shows up in my computer and it still doesn't work, the drive may have failed. Listen to the drive when it reads a CD. Does it sound like it is able to read the media (ie: spinning stedily and quickly) or does it sound like it is having trouble (clicking noises or the drive starting to spin and then stopping)? Try to boot the machine from a bootable CD. If it boots from the CD instead of going into Windows, the drive is working and this is probably a Windows problem as indicated by betyourlife. If it fails to boot from the CD, there is a goog possability that the drive is bad.

NOTE: The machine may have to be configured in the BIOS setup to boot from CD. Some machines are not configured to do this from the maufacturer because it makes the machine boot faster.

There is also the possability that either the drive or it's controler are dissabled in the BIOS or perhaps in the device manager.

If you determine that the drive is bad, post what kind of machine it is and I can tell you where to get one.

The last thing I can think of is if the drive doesn't show up in my computer, the registry information may be corrupted. Some CD writeing and other programs may do this.

Click the link below and download the registry patch. I have used this patch many times for this issue.

http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

If you would like to read about it first, here is the site it is from.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm