close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

acd training

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by dougr, Mar 26, 2006.

1. dougr

dougr

i have a blue heeler that's deaf how can i train him to stay home?
    whan i got him from shelter he was a stray , i'm tired of picking him up from the pound.

doug

2. 4STER

4STER

can you give a little bit more detail? out side dog? fenced? area you live- country/city? ect ..... not that i promise an answer but i can give it a try

3. groundhawg

groundhawg

this will probably get me flamed but "oh well". why not put him down and get a dog that can hear? even though you may like him, the dog is limited in ability and that will never change. while you are trying to work around his limitations, loads of dogs from the same shelter will be put down while waiting for adoption.
    i would never make this suggestion if this dog was your buddy for years and then lost his hearing.
    before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, a dog is a dog and not equal to a human being so i dont need to hear questions about handicapped humans....

4. dougr

dougr

4STER, i rent a house on a 360 acer farm, want to put an inground fence in and put coller on other dog (rot-boxer mix) and just hope he stays with his buddy. tried to contact manufactures to see if they had a coller that viberated b-4 shocking but no one makes one.

5. groundhawg

groundhawg

an electric collar and underground fence would probably do well for your heeler also. heelers are very smart dogs and if you put up a lot of boundry flags when installing the fence, it probably wont take long for the dog to catch on.
    have you considered a regular electic fence like is used for cattle? it could be installed in an afternoon and would be a reasonable stopgap until you are able to get to the underground. just make sure that you use the same perimeter for both and dont be bashful with boundry flags. you may not even have to put in the underground fence as both dogs will probably clue on to the set boundry.
    i searched for a vibrating shock collar and couldnt find one either. i did find this collar http://www.hitecpet.com/consys.html that has progressively stronger/faster shocks and may work for your dogs and happens to be on sale. hope this helps......:)

6. 4STER

4STER

i also think that the heeler would be able to wear the collar. i am not really that familar with deaf dog training but have been looking online for the last 30 mins about same- appears that the only real vibrating collar for deaf dogs is for training and works off remote controll operated by the owner- my theory would be to have the shock collar on the other dog and the vibrating collar on the heeler- this would require you to be there to activate the heeler collar , maybe work on this on a weekend with both dogs- the other dog gets the beeps and then shock and when you notice same hit the remote on the heeler. i would also use flags to mark the boundary areas for visual ident. it wont take him long and the other dog either to figure out where the boundaries are- once that seems apparent, try the shock collar on both. what are your thoughts? i am going to keep looking into this- my neighbor down the street has a deaf boxer- i am going to also talk to her. there is a fence system for stuborn dogs that has a vibrate b4 shock mode but i think it is for larger breeds

7. dougr

dougr

thanks guys, i did test the UGF by just laying it out, put collor on heeler and walked him around. i listend for beep and pulled him back, he did get zaped a few times . did that for a couple days ,then put collor on and let him go, he didn't leave the porch when collor was on ..heis a very smart dog some times for his own good if you know what i meen... there was a sight that had instructions to make a vibrating collor out of the parts of a radio controled car that worked like the trainer.

dougr

----------------------------------------------------------------------

glock 20, 32\19

8. groundhawg

groundhawg

ive seen a dog be afraid to leave the porch after getting zapped and it may take a while for the heeler to believe that the collar is not the source of the shock. do you only put it on him before he goes out? if so, try leaving it on all the time and he will disassociate the collar and the shock. maybe walking him somewhere away from the "fenced" area would help with the disassociation. when you see the commercials about UGF, they make you think the dog is trained in mere moments but thats not the case, it will take some time. you can help the dog learn the distance he will have to stay from the flags by walking him around that perimeter, it probably wont take as long as you think because the heeler is smart.
    this next idea would be a challenge but could be done. if you or a friend are good with electronics, you could find out the transmitting frequency of the chirp mode of the fence/collar and then change the frequency of a vibrating collar to match it. the dog would have to wear 2 collars but it would get a vibration before a shock.