close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

accurizing my g23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jsunsr, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jsunsr

jsunsr

I'm considering spending some bucks (not too many) in an attempt to increase accuracy on my G23. It shoots fine for self defense but I would enjoy shooting it more if the accuracy excelled.

Any suggestions? I've looked at the Bar Sto Barrels at Glock store. Is that the way to go? I'm fine with the trigger. What else can I do?

2. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Practice, Practice, Practice my friend.

3. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

This pic should prove what a (mostly) stock G23 is capable of. The only thing not stock on my G23 is the sights and minus connector with polished trigger parts.

That smaller silhouette at the top left hand corner of a target that's about 2.5 inches tall:

[​IMG]

This shot was taken at around seven yards.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. Gperfection

Gperfection

Ditto. Spend the money on practice ammo. You will get more "bang" for the buck.

5. jsunsr

jsunsr

what distance was that shot at. I'm assuming the grey circle is covering the bullet holes. right? I can't see any bullet holes in the picture. Is that a quarter? It's kinda blurred. thanks for your reply.

6. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Accurizing is a real word?

The internet says yes. Firefox spellcheck says no, but it also says "blonde" is not a word.

7. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

It was shot at around 7 yards. The gray circle is a quarter for size reference. The one hole in the target head is the only shot fired at this target.

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If you are just learning to play piano, would getting a Steinway improve your playing? I think not. Practice with a purpose.

When you can keep all your shots within a 4in circle at 25 yards, every time, then you are truly ready for a Bar-Sto fitted barrel.

9. DeLo

DeLo

i've done the split a playing card trick shot with mine at 7 yards, on the first try. STOCK. Sounds like you need to buy more ammo, or reloader and practice.

10. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Lighter trigger and practice. The gun is more accurate than you, so accurizing is a waste of money. But 95% of accurate shooting is trigger control. Almost every gun is going to be more accurate than almost any shooter.

11. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a Glock fanboy. I am actually considering either a grip reduction or selling my G23 to get a 1911 or S&W M&P because I just don't like the Gen3/4 grip. My hand just doesn't fit the finger grooves well.

Practicing your trigger control should eventually get you down to around 2 to 3 inch groups. When you can do that consistently, then its time to look into a match grade barrel and adjustable sights. A trigger job will help, but putting lots of rounds downrange is the ticket. On the same range trip in which the photo above was taken, my first shot went square into the center of the lower half of the bullseye X. My aim on that shot put the front sight dot right on the X. As I got tired the group started to grow to the size of my fist.

I keep hearing people knock the LC9 trigger. I posted (on defensivecarry.com) a picture of a ragged one hole group from my LC9. Most guns are capable of better accuracy than the shooter can manage. One thing I learned from shooting a compound bow is the importance of consistent body language. In my case with a pistol, once I get my grip right (adjusting for too much or too little trigger finger) so that my shots are centered on target horizontally, then I nail that hand and finger placement and practice. With my Glock, I had to rotate my hand around the grip each direction until I was able to pull the trigger straight back without the front sight moving when the trigger broke while dry firing. I do a lot of dry firing while aiming at a nail on the wall when I can't get to the range.

12. jsunsr

jsunsr

Thanks for all the feed back. I didn't want to sound arrogant in my initial, but, I can do all the things suggested. I never tried splitting a card. My range wouldn't allow that.

So, assuming I have the trigger control etc., what would be the next step in accurizing?:dunno:

13. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

A competition trigger (not recommended for a CC gun), and a barsto/kkm/LWD barrel. I can't recommend any brands since I don't have these items. I have seen LWD barrels that are extended/ported that look interesting.

Another thing to consider is ammo. I saw somewhere in GATE where Mas Ayoob said that Winchester Silvertips are very accurate loads. Experimenting with different loads to find one that your pistol is most accurate with is another angle you can try.

14. barth

barth six barrels

Two questions:
    1) Are you already an accomplished shot with the OEM barrel?

If not you may not be able to tell the difference of an after market barrel.
    There is really no substitute for practice.

2) Are we talking range or carry?
    The most accurate barrels are fitted and tend to be very tight.
    This can adversely affect reliability.

Some will argue that you should never use an after market barrel in a carry gun.
    This is a personal choice.
    My feeling is if the gun fires literally 1000s of rounds without a single failure
    then I feel comfortable carrying it.

Range Only?
    I would consider manufacturer fitted Jarvis or Bar-Sto.

Carry?
    Semi Drop-in Lone Wolf, KKM or Storm Lake.

Additional Thoughts:
    I have six barrels, in three calibers and lengths, for my gen 3 G27.
    My gun, in my hands, shoots noticeably more accurate
    with Storm Lake than Glock OEM.
    And more accurate with 357 Sig and 9mm than 40.

I can't make any guarantees.
    But my best advice would be get a 40-9mm conversion barrel.
    Ammo will be cheaper, less recoil and possibly noticeably improved accuracy.

G27 with Storm Lake G27 4.16" extended ported 357 Sig Barrel.
    1 box of 50 each 125 gr 357 Sig
    Speer Duty GDHP
    Winchester Ranger T-Series
    Federal Tactical JHP

[​IMG]

G27 with Storm Lake G23 4.02" 40-9mm Conversion Barrel.
    1 box of 50 each 9mm
    Speer Duty GDHP 124 gr +P
    Winchester Ranger T-Series 127 gr +P+
    Federal HST 124 gr

[​IMG]

15. up1911fan

up1911fan

Spend the money on ammo.

16. ijacek

ijacek

Dry fire until your finger hurts, then dry fire some more! Forget the gizmo's and concentrate on your skill, equipment is supplemental. Save the money and either buy more mags or more ammo.

17. Snapper2

Snapper2

I agree with the others on the practice thing.No getting around it.Slow down.I know it took me some time with my gen4 g23 before I could shoot it as well as a g30,g20,g26 or g27. Maybe its the compact's size that takes getting use to.:dunno:I wanted to get rid of mine as well. One part you could try until you get it down is taking the over travel out the trigger.Practice with something(180gr) that wont kick to hell and back. IMO the flip of the forty takes more concentration than a 10mm or 45.:steamed:

18. copo9560

copo9560

An old range officer at local club told me that of the Glocks the 40 was least accurate - he believed the 45 and 9's just shot better. His opinion (not mine) but the guy was as old as dirt and could make me look bad when firing his old Kimber 45.

I have found I shoot the G20 better than the G23. I believe the longer sight radius is key for my older eyes. Both are going to get upgraded sights one of these days.

19. X-Concealment

X-Concealment NRA Cert.FI/RSO

+1! spend what you plan to spend on ammo, practice and have fun with it! G23 is able to reach man size target at 100 yard easily. It's a combat pistol, what kind of accuracy are you expecting getting out of it?

20. cheapshot

cheapshot

Very good advice sir!:thumbsup: