close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

?Accurizing Glocks?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by windplex, Feb 19, 2006.

1. windplex

windplex

Would anyone care to elaborate on how to accurize standard Glocks without turning them into full blown race guns?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

2. Skpotamus

Skpotamus

It seems what most people like to do is add in an aftermarket barrel. A lighter/smoother trigger can help aid your trigger control and a slimmer front sight can help you get a better sight picture.

However, from what I've seen and read up on ransom tests with glocks, you aren't going to improve them very much. Chuck Taylor threw his stock Gen 1 Glock 17 with a logged 186,000 rounds through it into a ransom rest and fired a 25 yard, 3 shot, sub one inch group with Federal Hydrashoks. I seriously doubt that any choice of barrel will improve the mechanical accuracy of the gun.

More anecdotal evidence: a buddy of mine bought into a spiel an armorer in Plainfield, IN spun him (BTW, according to my glock reps, stay away from that guy) about his aftermarket barrels being more accurate than his stock barrel He paid like $200 for it and was bragging about how his groups shrank at the range. I asked him to bring the gun with both barrels to the range. He shot a decent group with the "accurized barrel" and I shot a tighter group with his stock barrel. BTW, he was pissed off :)

3. Allman

Allman

I'm not the best shot around, but I'm pretty good. My stock Glock 21 is capable of far more 'accuracy' than I am. Best thing I could do to imporove the accuracy of my Glock would probably be more practice.

(Yes, I know that, technically, accuracy refers to the shooting and precision references the gun. Those words get commonly interchanged in general comversation)

4. windplex

windplex

thank you for your quick and helpful repsonses.

I am the first person to admit that training and practice, in that order, should be the first investments I make toward accurizing my Glock-self weapon system. Truer words were never spoken and they definately apply to me.

I am still interested in other means of accurizing or making Glocks more precise without turning them into something they are not. Such as unrecognizable race guns, for instance. However i understand why race guns are what they are, I just don't need one or want one.

So thank you all, and keep the kind suggestions coming, Please!

5. windplex

windplex

BTW, I am shocked to hear that any Glock shoots sub-one-inch-groups at 25 yards, let alone one with 186,000 rounds through it.

Perhaps I need only "break in" my Glocks as he has to accurize them:)

6. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

You can tighten the slide, do a real(non $.25) trigger job, and hand fit a barrel(KKM, Jarvis, Bar-sto). Those people who knock aftermarket barrels in glocks, are most likely using drop ins. A fitted barrel with a tightened slide will give you the most out of your glock.

7. Cop Pop

Cop Pop

It seems to me that a stock Glock out-of-the-box is more accurate than the average shooter. By "average" I mean you, me, and most cops (who usually qualify at the range once or twice a year), and excludung the heavy match shooters. When police departments I know about transitioned from duty revolvers to semi-autos, a lot of them went to the Glock 9mm initially, and then some moved up to the 40 S&W or 357 Sig. Officers using Glocks qualified more easily, and with higher scores, than they ever did with revolvers. I can personally attest to that fact: I shot pretty well with a S&W M39 9mm, but when I switched to a Glock, suddenly I shot better than I had ever done before. More holes in the X-ring than I ever thought possible. Believe me, my shooting did not magically improve so much overnight. It was the Glock...period. And that's when my daily carry gun became a Glock.

8. windplex

windplex

Tim Warner: What do you mean when you say tightne the slide? and a Real trigger job not the $0.25 cent version (don't know what that is).

Cop Pop, Glad to hear that Glocks improved LEOs accuracy. Was it the fact of going from a revolver: double-action-only to a semi-auto, single-action-only or the Glock, specifically, in your opinion?

9. Cop Pop

Cop Pop

IMHO, Windplex, a little of both. Most of the younger LEO's think a semi-auto is easier to shoot than a revolver and easier to control recoil. The Glock, especially,sits lower in the hand than a revolver,felt recoil is markedly less and the sights just naturally fall right back on the target. The Glock can make an ordinary shooter look good.

10. Joe D

Joe D Guest

There is nothing wrong with your stock barrel. A lot of aftermarket barrel profit has been made off of Glock shooters by those that often post on this site. All of my competition Glocks (G21,34,35s) will group under 1 1/2" at 25 yards. BTW I hate to admit I shoot, gasp, lead bullets also.

11. VN350X10

VN350X10

If you feel the need to do something different to your stock Glock, have a good gunsmith cut a true 11 degree crown on the barrel. Most stock Glock barrels are decent from the factory, but a few can use this change/improvement. I've done this on my G34, & firing rested off sandbags, hand held, the groups seem to be about 3/8" better @ 50'. It's still not a bullseye gun, but everything helps. Before it would print about 1 5/8"- 1 3/4" @ 50' for 5 shots. Now I'm around 1 1/4" using the same ammo. More practice is usually the only improvement a Glock needs.

uncle albert

12. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Basically the only way to improve mechanical accuracy is to put in a high end fitted barrel like a barsto. THings like better sights, better trigger etc can make it easier to shoot accuratley but they will not effect mechanical accuracy.

13. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

Tighten the slide fit on the rails, most glocks are pretty sloppy to keep them more reliable.

The .25 trigger job is just polishing the mating trigger parts. A real trigger job involves more extensive work. Often times it inclues reshaping the trigger bar in various ways, relocating pins, and aftermarket springs.

14. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

How does one tighten the slide fit?

15. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

Most firearms are more accurate than the shooter. In other words, the gun is plenty accurate, its a matter of teaching yourself to shoot it accurately...or, what can you do to the firearm in order to make yourself shoot it better. :)

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Use a Ransom rest. That way the measure is the acccuracy of the gun, not the shooter. I've never tested a Glock that way, but I believe it. A guy we shoot with did a trigger control demonstration where my wife fired a shot into a blank piece of cardboard at about 7 yards, then she took her finger off the trigger and she aimed the gun while he stood beside her and pulled the trigger, all the shots made a single hole about the size of a quarter. Considering there is still movement and aiming error involved (and she was a completely untrained shooter), I have no trouble believing the gun could have made one hole not much bigger than 9mm from a rest.

Most people who "accurize" their guns are wasting both money and reliability - if you can't shoot as well as the gun, you don't really gain by making the gun more accurate and the tighter tolerances involved will decrease reliability. Bullseye shooters who expect to be able to hit a quarter at 50 yards with a 1911 benefit from accurizing, but few other people do. In addition, I doubt if the average race gun is much more accurate that a stock Glock, if not less acccurate. Most race gun mods are designed to boost shooting speed by making an easier trigger pull or controlling recoil - the people who shoot those guns don't need to worry about shrinking 50 yard group size by a half inch.

17. Ramshackle

Ramshackle

"Most people who "accurize" their guns are wasting both money and reliability - if you can't shoot as well as the gun, you don't really gain by making the gun more accurate and the tighter tolerances involved will decrease reliability."

The value of "accurizing" a gun depends on its use. For a carry gun, I agree it's a waste of money. For a competition gun it isn't. Most top-notch competitive shooters have incredibly accurate guns. When you miss a tight shot you want to know it's you not the gun that's at fault. Small plates at 15-20 yds require an accurate gun.

It's a myth that tight tolerances decrease reliability. I've seen lots of race guns -- including my own -- that are very tight AND reliable for thousands of rounds. I also know lots of loose guns that are unreliable. The tight equals unreliable equation may have been true years ago, but many modern guns are set up to be both tight and accurate.

"In addition, I doubt if the average race gun is much more accurate that a stock Glock, if not less acccurate. Most race gun mods are designed to boost shooting speed by making an easier trigger pull or controlling recoil - the people who shoot those guns don't need to worry about shrinking 50 yard group size by a half inch."

The average race gun is MUCH more accurate than a stock Glock. Most race guns have tight gunsmith-fit barrels, good slide to frame fit and are highly accurate. They're also 1911s. You can't compare the inherent accuracy of a tight 1911 to a Glock that was designed as a rugged combat weapon. BTW, people who shoot race guns are concerned about shrinking their groups.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Small plates at 15-20 yards are a good example of something that doesn't require accurizing of the gun at all - any stock glock will put those down with no trouble (any stock Chief Special will too, depending on the shooter's ability). To speed up your shooting of the plates may be another story, but that requires action work and sights, not "accurizing." I'm sure some people do have "accurized" race guns, which probably boosts their confidence, but the average stock 1911 will easily put all the shots in the A zone at 50 yards. Tightened slide rails/barrel/bushing/etc. adds up to malfunctions - maybe not until the gun gets dirty or maybe only with light loads, but I'd have to see it to believe it if you're telling me it will make it through a match without a malfunction.

19. VN350X10

VN350X10

I feel I have to interject another $.02 here.....
    A LOT of the "unreliability" seen at USPSA/IPSC matches with "race guns" isn't the fault of the gun, or even the shooter directly. The majority of malfunctions I've seen in 6 yrs of IPSC is the fact that a lot of shooters are LOUSEY RELOADERS !!!!!
    You hear a lot of " I'm not going to use good brass, it's a lost brass match..."
    Lets get this straight, you spend...
    Match entry....$75.00
    Fuel...........$50.00
    Motel.........$100.00
    Food...........$50.00

total.........$275.00, not counting your own time involved.

And your going to whine, cry & scrimp on junk brass just to save another lousey couple of bucks, because "I don't wan't to waste GOOD brass"....

When I haven't had good once fired brass to load for a match, I've been known to buy NEW brass & load it for a lost brass match. I've also NEVER had a gun malfunction at a non-club level match because every round is case gauged & checked. That's right 100% inspection on match ammo. The reliability involves our team of (usually) 3-4 shooters, 2 full up race Glocks, 1 G20 & 1 G24, an L-10 class G35 & the production G34. NO MALFUNCTIONS at MATCHES. The guns work, even if the shooters aren't doing so hot.

uncle albert

20. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I have seen tons of the brass and ammo problems as well. One of my favorites are the people who will spend $1000+ to go to the nationals or another big match and then use a $50 chrono to check that they make major and then wonder why they dont make power.