Accurized Glock- what's possible?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Beendare, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Beendare

Beendare Stick and String, SME, NRA life member

A quick search didn't turn up much....if I missed it could someone point me to those threads.

So I have some Glocks that are just inherently more accurate than others in my hands. I have no doubt my Glocks are more accurate than I can shoot them....just curious as to what a good armorer can do. I know comparing an Ed Brown .45 to a Glock is like comparing apples and oranges....curious though.

So what are the mechanical factors a guy can do to squeeze the most accuracy out of the Glock platform [Yes, PRACTICE, I know- grin] If you have pics of these areas...even better.

Is it possible to get a Glock to shoot under an inch at 50 yds...or is the platform not capable of that?

2. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

It is probably possible to make the Glock shoot that accurately but being able to shoot it as accurately as an accurate 1911 gun is unlikely.

Paul53 and es 350 like this.

3. MajorD

MajorD

Just a personal opinion I do not think it is possible to create a bullseye precision accurate Glock
    Funny things is I have shot precision bullseye of one form or another for almost 40 years. At one time they said there was no way a beretta could be made as accurate as a 1911, then they found a way. They said the same thing about the AR-15 platform in rifle competition but then they figured that out too. In the case of the beretta it involves cutting the rails off the frame then replacing them with a steel rail system.
    If someone wanted to try hard enough and spend enough money perhaps it is possible.
    Difference is the AR and Beretta grew out of service rifle/ pistol competition where the rules stipulated only a 1911 or beretta for competition and the rifles had to be M- M14 type of AR.
    There is no type of competition which would demand a hyper accurate Glock.

gh1138, Paul53 and es 350 like this.
  4. es 350

es 350

As said above... anything is possible with enough money and "know how".

Biggest problem with glock accuracy is "A"- the person pulling the trigger, "B"- the ammo used in said Glock.
    I have found ammo (bullet, powder and reloading practices) makes a huge difference in what can be expected from ANY platform !

Of all the Glocks I have had the pleasure to shoot only 2 (of 100+) have been what I consider to be less than accurate.

Both of these were my personal firearms and both were police trade ins that had seen better days!
    One (a Gen 2 G22) was "fixed" with a new barrel.
    The Gen 2.5 G30 was also "fixed" with a new barrel AND was used as an experiment....
    I welded up the pad on bottom of barrel that sets on locking block and fit it to lock up tight on locking block.... this also restored the factory original barrel to be what I consider accurate for my purposes , which is 1" or under 5 shot groups at 25 yds , with "GOOD" ammo.
    My G21's set up to shoot 45 SUPER (aftermarket barrels/muzzlebrakes different sights)
    Will put 3 - 5 shots under 3" @ 100 yds ...IF i do my part!
    Glocks are fighting/work in any condition
    Handguns . Because of this have less than satisfactory sights and triggers for bullseye/precision shooting.

Im sure there are many that does not believe what I say here ...... GO PRACTICE !!! Try different ammo!

Also... know this will be a LONG thread (as usual when "Glock accuracy" is the subject) and sure "Ransom rest" will be brought up....
    Is a given that being made of polymer (flexes,not rigid and moves in ransom) and without bank vault tight slide fit (ransom holds frame not slide or barrel) it is obvious Glocks will not do well from a Ransom rest.

There is also a blog from one of GT's own that shows a Glock can shoot pretty darn good compared to some handguns considered to be the most accurate in the world.... will see if i can find it and link it here.

Here is the link mentioned above, note the Glock 17L in best 12 yd groups is listed twice and beat out most of the high dollar guns with its crude sights and trigger compared to the "target" guns.....
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIDRAH&usg=AOvVaw2WUIKSalugdkO0SHF5NGkV

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Gunwale and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  5. cciman

cciman

Firing off a stable platform using Ransom rest will establish baseline "accuracy" and somewhat eliminate shooter (human) errors. The most inaccurate gun in your hands, may or may not have perfectly acceptable "accuracy" when fired without bias.

Until that is determined, we can only throw generalizations at you. Cost to benefit ratio may be high.

6. Beendare

the reason for my question is to understand mechanical accuracy.

Good link ES.

from the link, most accurate pistols:

Results
    Based on the best group sizes, nearly all of the pistols performed well. Nearly every single pistol was capable of a group of less than 2 inches at 25 yards and less than 1 inch at 35 feet (11.7 yards). Despite the good performance, there was a clear stand out winner, the X-Five.

Best 25 Yard Groups
    Sig Sauer X-Five Classic w Aimpoint T-2 0.893
    CZ 75 Tactical Sport 1.029 inches
    S&W 3566 1.381 “
    Sig Arms P210-5 HF 1.622 “
    S&W 5906 PPC9 6″ 1.628 “
    Pardini GT45-II 1.796 “
    Sig Sauer P210 Legend Target 1.829 “
    Glock 17L Gen 3 2.155
    Beretta 92 Combat 3.422

peterk likes this.
  7. Judgemax

Judgemax

I say no way anyone gets 1” groups at 25 yards with a stock Glock!

Paul53 likes this.
  8. zennashton

zennashton

Put the gun in a vise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. es 350

es 350

Why, cause YOU cant do it?

Are you capable of consistently shooting 1/4" or less groups @ 100 yds groups with a rifle ?
    Can you consistently hit steel at 1000 yds to a mile?

Can you run faster than Olympic runners?
    Etc........

At one time the Glock 26 held the U.S. Fed. Law Enforcment 50 yd accuracy record.....

Not sure what Glocks you have shot.... but if you "know how" to shoot a handgun and "know how" to work up a precision load for ANY platform be it rifle or handgun then you would "know" how precise a Glock or any gun can be.

AdamRodgers and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  10. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

What's possible?? You can tighten the slide rail cuts so they have no up and down or side to side movement on the (slide rail cut) frame guides. You can tighten the barrel hood port so the barrel hood doesn't have any free play side to side or back and forth. You can also shim the upper area of the muzzle of the slide just in front of the front sight where the top of the barrel runs, but doesn't touch. All of this, of course, requires tedious peening and filing and epoxying so the barrel will lock up in the exact same position for every shot, but will still unlock and cycle without galling any of the work you just did. You can eliminate the barrel hood port peening by purchasing an AM barrel what requires fitting to the barrel hood port.

eta - you can also polish the trigger bar sear and the FP lug. This won't give you more mechanical accuracy but it helps the slide tightening job you just did do its job, better.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Beendare likes this.
  11. venenoindy

venenoindy

Different tasks have different tools and a specialized tool, try to do a job with the wrong tools and its either impossible or will not get done correctly. Glock is not a platform build for accuracy no matter what you change or modify period.

12. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

A lot of people say this but Glock didn't build their guns to have minute of mountain side accuracy. I see nothing wrong with doing anything you want to make your Glock more accurate, but at least use it for 'fun', only. Leave defense duty for 'out of the box'. If someone isn't hitting the target at SD defenses with a bone stock Glock, the Glock isn't the problem...lock, stock, Glock, and barrel. ;)

YglockminuteofschoolbusMMV

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  13. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

A better trigger does nothing to achieve accuracy. It only lets you get that accuracy on paper easier. I've got a KKM barrel on a G24 that fits tight and I've been amazed at it's accuracy at 25 yards with Nosler 180gr. Changing the barrel is the very first thing to do as the factory barrels aren't that great at accuracy. They have way too tight of twist for one thing. Unless your shooting slow fire over sandbags there isn't any reason to talk about absolute accuracy. Get a SOLID rest, after market barrel, KKM/Bar Sto, try some different loads and you'll be surprised at how well the Glock platform can shoot. If I was going to try for that kind of accuracy I would get a Glock 24 and a 357 sig barrel from KKM. Better sights. Whatever trigger job you want. But if your running around like a chicken with it's head off in front of some targets, blasting away, like so many folks seem to like to do just a standard Glock will be fine.

Taroman likes this.
  14. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Of course there is. There's no reason to buy a 700 HP Dodge challenger, but some do. Reason is 'desire'. Desire and want cover every know reason to man, but some can come at a cost, especially wit the females.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  15. Taroman

Taroman US Army Retired

Exactly what I did with my G24.
    Shoots like a laser.

16. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I can think of several factors that might compromise any attempt to seriously accurize a Glock.

It was meant to be reliable so tolerances were made such that the gun could function in adverse conditions. It was meant to be inexpensive and light so polymers are heavily utilized.

I put a KKM match barrel in one. It improved accuracy but I can barely get through a magazine without a jam.

17. Toocool45

Toocool45

To all that say a glock is not accurate. I say they are. Before i get flamed and called BS like the last time i commented about how accurate the G26 was in my hands. Please dont bother this is true too. I shoot hand held groups at 25 yards. Im no expert shot cant do it EVERY time i shoot. One group i shot at 25 yards (head shot). My head shot group was 6 inches or so? Not good to say the least. But 3 shots went in perfectly where i was aiming into the center of the forehead. The center to center measurement was under .5 of an inch. So 3 shots in 1/2 inch at 25 yards, hand held. Inwas floored. I do 5 shot groups, not 10.

18. Beendare

Not true^

One of the gun publications did a test with multiple barrels a few years back and the Glock barrel proved to be as accurate or better compared to some of the aftermarket barrels.

19. 1canvas

1canvas

I think pistol sights has a limiting effect on how accurately you can group but I bought Glocks for their outstanding reliability and that doesn’t come from highly fitted parts.

zennashton likes this.
  20. zennashton

zennashton

This all day long... Glocks go bang under the worse conditions and that is what they excel at. They are acutely good enough for self defense and that's all that matters

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk