close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Accurepressure....for cats

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by SkyStorm82, Jan 21, 2007.

1. SkyStorm82

SkyStorm82 DSG

Has anyone heard anything about this?

I had to take one of my cats to the vet for a booster yesterday. I just moved to a new area and have never been to this vet before...they of course wanted to do a check up too. Fine..whatever.

Well I mentioned how he has been "missing" a few jumps every now and then. I was thinking he's just fat....he weighs in at 14 LBS. So the vet feels down the spine and kinda sqeezes with two fingers on both sides of it...this pisses off my cat. She mentioned taking x-rays...something about discs...arthritis...buildup?...something similar to what can happen to us. No x-rays this time because their machine was down.

Well she wanted to try accurepressure...for $51 dollars. I tell her more or less that I'm a little skeptical about the whole thing. So she offers to try it for free. Ok...I can have an open mind...and who knows...it might help my cat.

So she sticks one on the top of his head and some more along both sides of my cat...away from the spine a little bit. Doesn't bother him...he even seemed kind of relaxed while we sat there for 10 minutes.

I did notice that he was more relaxed during the car ride home. Then I let him out of the little carrier and he starts limping on his front left leg. His booster was on the right side near the front, so I can't see how that would have done it. I have no idea what the hell happened to cause him to start limping. He didn't appear to be in any pain though.

The limping seems to be going away now though. So now I'm afraid to go back to that vet...and I don't know if the accurepressure is worth it or not either considering that he start limping....though I really can't say that the accurpressure caused it.

2. sniper350

sniper350

I have heard of using accu-puncture on animals -- but have not heard of using * pressure *.

Like with any doctor I would use for my family, I would first like to see what certifications the doctor has in that field. Don't be afraid to ask for this kind of information.

As for your cat limping -- not a good sign in my book -- pressure on the wrong nerve can cause damage [ some permanent ] and should not be a side effect of any good treatment.

Also very IMPORTANT : Don't ever think you can accurately judge pain [ or lack of it ] in an animal, especially in a strange environment for that animal. Animals have a huge capacity to "hide" pain - part of their survival skills. So it might be hard at times to know if a doctor is hurting your pet -- if the pain is not severe.

Also, don't be afraid to go with your "gut instinct" on these matters-- if it doesn't feel right, move on - your cat will thank you for it.

JF.

3. SkyStorm82

SkyStorm82 DSG

Oh...you're right. I meant accupuncture. My cat is not limping anymore so that's good. I think I'll find another vet...

Thanks.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I think Mrs. VR and voteRepublican used acupuncture on one of their Dobies. They might can answer questions?