Glock Talk banner
121 - 140 of 146 Posts
Hello everyone. I made some 10mm loads using Accurate #7. Test gun was G29 Gen4. Here are the numbers:

Powder Charge: 10.1gn
Bullet: Hornady 180gn FMJ FP
Avg velocity: 1038fps
PF: 186

Powder Charge: 10.8gn
Bullet: Berrys Plated 165gn FP
Avg velocity: 1098fps
PF: 181

Powder Charge: 10.8gn
Avg velocity: 1140fps
PF: 205

Powder Charge: 11.3gn
Avg velocity: 1115fps
PF: 183

Powder Charge: 11.8gn
Avg velocity: 1178fps
PF: 194

Powder Charge: 11.8gn
Avg velocity: 1197fps
PF: 215

Sig Sauer SD factory hollow point ammo 180gn.
Advertised velocity 1250fps.
My test 5 shot average 1155fps

I like this powder. it has a nice kick and at about 11.3gn starts to produce a nice flash. Once I get my hands on some BlueDot I will test some more loads.
Thanks for posting.

AA7 is a pretty awesome overall 10mm powder. My absolute favorite load with AA7 is a 180gr XTP sitting on 10.9tr AA7, CCI300 primer. One-hole accurate at 25y and substantial power. Super clean burning powder and .... did I mention it smells better than any powder I've ever smelt!!

Thanks for posting.

AA7 is a pretty awesome overall 10mm powder. My absolute favorite load with AA7 is a 180gr XTP sitting on 10.9tr AA7, CCI300 primer. One-hole accurate at 25y and substantial power. Super clean burning powder and .... did I mention it smells better than any powder I've ever smelt!!
Ur welcome. I like it too. Its more widely available then BlueDot which I have difficulty to find for decent price. And It does smell good :)

That's funny. Here, AA7/9 is hard to find and expensive.... BD is everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE and cheap as dirt .... cheapest powder out of them all, actually. Old formula, been around a long time, I think they are very well aware of the exact demand so they produce just enough so the price stays consistent.

That's funny. Here, AA7/9 is hard to find and expensive.... BD is everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE and cheap as dirt .... cheapest powder out of them all, actually. Old formula, been around a long time, I think they are very well aware of the exact demand so they produce just enough so the price stays consistent.
A friend of mine told me that BlueDot make nice fireballs and that's the reason I wanna try it. Otherwise #7 is pretty much flawless and meters great.

A friend of mine told me that BlueDot make nice fireballs and that's the reason I wanna try it. Otherwise #7 is pretty much flawless and meters great.
Blue Dot is also extremely accurate for whatever reason. It also burns much cleaner at high pressure where AA7 will burn clean pretty much however you load it. BD is quite filthy at lower pressures.

'Bout to start reopening the bottle of AA #9 I think. Before I start... anyone got a reason to say to use 300 primers instead of the 350's I've normally used?
Also, I'm gonna work with 180 XTPs. Anyone got the current start to end Hornady numbers for cci 350, #9, 180 XTP? and the load length?

I think mentioned around last summer - (or the summer before?? Sheesh...)) - during one of my load work ups with my Glock 20SF w/ KKM 6" barrel - that AA9 was my "new favorite powder" (for full house 10mm hunting loads, that is).

I still stand by that statement.

During my bests, AA9 was STOUT in max loads. It was ACCURATE will full loads. And I was using approximate max book loads to make 1300+ fps with the 200gr XTP's .... EASY. The case fill is ideal and the powder is just in it's "comfort zone" with the pressures that the 10mm works at.

I actually know for a fact that I have four to six 15rd magazines and two 10 round magazines sitting in my closet / bedside area of my own handloads that each contain a 200gr XTP perched atop 13.0gr AA9 and a CCI300 primer. It's a load I feel completely comfortable with due to it's accuracy, reliability and overall destructive capability, which it gleans by pushing HEAVY chunks of lead and brass at VERY high speed at oftentime quite distant targets of opportunity.

I'm not sure what exact purpose was served by me posting this long rant about my love for AA9 and heavy bullets from my G20 (now, my G40 MOS, though) ... But but I sure had fun reminiscing.

Enjoy!
Nick

Nick, you mention you're using 300's... does it get me anywhere to switch to them compared to the 350's? been so long... i can't find enough load data to say why we used the 350's so much... and which i should be using for this.
Actually wondering, if the 300's are less likely to cause OP issues,etc.

Nick, you mention you're using 300's... does it get me anywhere to switch to them compared to the 350's? been so long... i can't find enough load data to say why we used the 350's so much... and which i should be using for this.
Actually wondering, if the 300's are less likely to cause OP issues,etc.
Truth be told, I never used the 350's more that a few times. Some cartridges like them, some dont.... and some have the option to use them with varying results. The only reason I'd ever feel the need to use them would be, for example, if I were making some handloads that, for one of several reasons, might be having troubles igniting the powder fast (enough).... for example, take Accurate #9 in the example I leave below.....

Its a very dense and SLOW, fine-particled powder that could presumably be a bit tough to keep enough heat on it to fully burn it (optimally). That's the idea behind it. I'm tired, ready for bed, excuse the brevity....

Anyhoo.... MY OWN EXPERIENCES tell me that, even if you might be able to gain a few FPS or a bit more efficiency, the end results... FOR ME, at least, has always just been higher pressure for a given load and literally only a few fps gain (2-20fps at most, usually on the low end of that)... and in some cases, no velocity gain benefit at all.... It just doesn't seem to me that the 10mm Automatic cartridge in general benefits much from Mag (ie, CCI-350) or semi-mag primers (ie, Winchester primers) over standard (ie, CCI-300's) so I typically get standard primers and do ALL of my loads with them.

That being said, use what you have! If ALL I HAD were mag primers, I'd still shoot them all up!! I would just make SURE to do ***ALL NEW WORKUPS*** as you don't want any nasty surprises... and the potential sure is there if you were to be working at high SAAMI pressures and then, all of a sudden, change over to hot mag primers.

As always, YMMV....

Take care and good luck!

Nick

Speer has called for 350s with some of their data. They tend to bias toward mag primers with spherical powder. They no longer publish a load for 200 gr bullets, but that data was the basis for one of my pet loads. It works great with 350s, so never tried standard primers. Accurate says that mag primers aren't needed, and I tend to agree.

I actually use the "in between" primer (WLP) for 200 XTPs. 300s for 180 XTPs. In a 155 XTP, stuffed with 16 gr, a mag primer will give noticeably more velocity, and seemingly right at the limit of pressure. I prefer standard primers under the 155.

If there is one powder that is fine with mag primers in the 10mm case, it is A9. So if you have some 350s to burn, A9 is arguably most suitable. Reduce a half grain.

Just a quick update to you all ...

As I type this, first-light on opening-morning here in KS for firearms deer is about 8 hours from now.....

I wanted to update you all though about my recent range trip. A week or so ago I loaded up a few Accurate #9 ladders using the new and simply AWESOME new WFNPB .402" boolits I bought from my now favorite boolit mfgr, Montana Bulletworks. On Saturday, I went to the range to test them out (for accuracy only, as it was all I had time for with my upcoming hunting trip and other recent life obstacles). I don't have much time to go into much detail right now as i'm literally in the car right now, en-route to Western Kansas for my highly anticipated deer hunt on a friend's private land.

Test firearm was my beloved Glock 40 MOS equipped with a Black Satin AlTiNi coated 6" KKM specially throated by KKM for these exact bullets / 3 MOA Vortex Venom / Dawson & Ameriglo co-witness irons / Ghost Edge 3.5lb trigger w/ Wolff lightened competition springs / Match Grade Slide Lock.

I ran the following loads under he aforementioned 200gr bullet using mixed brass and CCI300 primers:

- 8.5gr Longshot
- 13.0gr AA9
- 13.2gr AA9
- 13.4+ gr AA9
- 13.6gr AA9
- 13.8gr AA9
- 13.2gr AA9 (moly-coated test samples that Montana Bulletworks kindly sent me to give them feedback on, which I will surely do post-hunt!)
- 13.2gr AA9 under 200gr Beartooth WFNGC
- also tested a few of Federal'a 180gr JSP Troohy Bonded rounds to see how they 'felt' and shot overall.

NOTE: I wanted to run blue Dot load (~11gr or so) but didn't have time to safely work that load up so I passed for now.

All of the above mentioned loads fed and functioned flawlessly and ALL were extremely accurate.

I must have done everything right this time because not only was there absolutely zero leading… But all of the loads over 13.2gr left the bore downright shiny ... just as it was prior to firing!! (I'd read about this happening when you get everything just right but was amazed and overjoyed to see it firsthand.).

Note: I used a bore snake every two loads and strings were only 10 shots or so per iteration. This was not only to keep track of which loads landed and which did not, but to maintain accuracy throughout the test.

I will say that it was difficult to tell which load was most accurate as I was not only pressed for time but, not surprisingly, found that the groups I fired near the beginning of my range visit were the most accurate and group sizes slowly (but surely) deteriorated until when I decided to quit for the day (for that very reason). :) lol. Also interesting to note was how the loads felt from a 'power' perspective. Up through about 13.4gr AA9, all of the loads felt very stout but also fairly normal, considering the Glock's large recoil-absorbing frame, however, The 13.6gr 13.8gr AA9 loadings, however, felt substantially more powerful - with the 13.8gr AA9 loading being the single hardest recalling 10 mm round I've ever fired (in any 10mm), which to me, sends a strong message.

Overall, it was an enlightening and interesting range trip and one that I will soon repeat at a later date when I have more time, my other 10mm's .. and my chronograph -- and hopefully, by then, my FBI sized Clear Gelatin blocks. Another day.... :)

That said, i'll be out in the woods for the next five days on private property hunting whitetail with my Glock 40 10mm... CANT WAIT!! Weather should be perfect, highs in 40's, lows in the 20's ... Wish me luck!! ...and good luck to everyone else!

Stay safe!!
Nick

Just a quick update to you all ...

As I type this, first-light on opening-morning here in KS for firearms deer is about 8 hours from now.....

I wanted to update you all though about my recent range trip. A week or so ago I loaded up a few Accurate #9 ladders using the new and simply AWESOME new WFNPB .402" boolits I bought from my now favorite boolit mfgr, Montana Bulletworks. On Saturday, I went to the range to test them out (for accuracy only, as it was all I had time for with my upcoming hunting trip and other recent life obstacles). I don't have much time to go into much detail right now as i'm literally in the car right now, en-route to Western Kansas for my highly anticipated deer hunt on a friend's private land.

Test firearm was my beloved Glock 40 MOS equipped with a Black Satin AlTiNi coated 6" KKM specially throated by KKM for these exact bullets / 3 MOA Vortex Venom / Dawson & Ameriglo co-witness irons / Ghost Edge 3.5lb trigger w/ Wolff lightened competition springs / Match Grade Slide Lock.

I ran the following loads under he aforementioned 200gr bullet using mixed brass and CCI300 primers:

- 8.5gr Longshot
- 13.0gr AA9
- 13.2gr AA9
- 13.4+ gr AA9
- 13.6gr AA9
- 13.8gr AA9
- 13.2gr AA9 (moly-coated test samples that Montana Bulletworks kindly sent me to give them feedback on, which I will surely do post-hunt!)
- 13.2gr AA9 under 200gr Beartooth WFNGC
- also tested a few of Federal'a 180gr JSP Troohy Bonded rounds to see how they 'felt' and shot overall.

NOTE: I wanted to run blue Dot load (~11gr or so) but didn't have time to safely work that load up so I passed for now.

All of the above mentioned loads fed and functioned flawlessly and ALL were extremely accurate.

I must have done everything right this time because not only was there absolutely zero leading… But all of the loads over 13.2gr left the bore downright shiny ... just as it was prior to firing!! (I'd read about this happening when you get everything just right but was amazed and overjoyed to see it firsthand.).

Note: I used a bore snake every two loads and strings were only 10 shots or so per iteration. This was not only to keep track of which loads landed and which did not, but to maintain accuracy throughout the test.

I will say that it was difficult to tell which load was most accurate as I was not only pressed for time but, not surprisingly, found that the groups I fired near the beginning of my range visit were the most accurate and group sizes slowly (but surely) deteriorated until when I decided to quit for the day (for that very reason). :) lol. Also interesting to note was how the loads felt from a 'power' perspective. Up through about 13.4gr AA9, all of the loads felt very stout but also fairly normal, considering the Glock's large recoil-absorbing frame, however, The 13.6gr 13.8gr AA9 loadings, however, felt substantially more powerful - with the 13.8gr AA9 loading being the single hardest recalling 10 mm round I've ever fired (in any 10mm), which to me, sends a strong message.

Overall, it was an enlightening and interesting range trip and one that I will soon repeat at a later date when I have more time, my other 10mm's .. and my chronograph -- and hopefully, by then, my FBI sized Clear Gelatin blocks. Another day.... :)

That said, i'll be out in the woods for the next five days on private property hunting Whitetail with my Glock 40 10mm... CANT WAIT!! Weather should be perfect, highs in 40's, lows in the 20's ... Wish me luck!! ...and good luck to everyone else.
Nick: thanks for that report, and good luck on your hunt!

Reactions: nickE10mm
Nick. THAT was a terrific update. Great when things come together. Looks like you will be well armed with a 10mm hammer for the hunt. Good luck buddy.

p.s. I'd love to know the velocities of the 13.6 and 13.8 gr loads! I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

Reactions: nickE10mm
Nick. THAT was a terrific update. Great when things come together. Looks like you will be well armed with a 10mm hammer for the hunt. Good luck buddy.

p.s. I'd love to know the velocities of the 13.6 and 13.8 gr loads! I'm sure that I'm not the only one.
UPDATE:
I've seen about 25-30 deer since I've been here!! First deer I saw was while nearly falling into a foothole when the single largest buck I've EVER laid eyes on jumped nearly over me (~5 yards away) and bounded into a thicket out of sight and saw two huge does I almost got a shot at later that day. I could have gotten one of two does at nearly 100y away with a perfect rested G40 shot on the highlands but there was a gusting 40-45 mph crosswind, so I passed for obvious reasons. I saw another big buck last night shortly after shooting light who had silouhetted himself against a beautiful dark blue sky background but didn't take a shot. I'm zeroed in on em ....taking my climber out a lot until my trip is over (as the wind has finally died down from 30-40 mph to 3-5 mph) and hope to take a big-un' either tonight or in the morning.

Taterhead: you and me both! Based on the other data points I've seen, i'm thinking the 13.8gr WFN loading will make close to 1400 fps in my 6" KKM (and we will all know within a few weeks or sooner. :) ) That said, i'm carrying the 13.2gr loading since it's what I had left from testing but will likely settle on ~13.5gr as it was just before the significant recoil began in my tests (remember: the recoil was significant in a G40....)

UPDATE:
I've seen about 25-30 deer since I've been here!! First deer I saw was while nearly falling into a foothole when the single largest buck I've EVER laid eyes on jumped nearly over me (~5 yards away) and bounded into a thicket out of sight and saw two huge does I almost got a shot at later that day. I could have gotten one of two does at nearly 100y away with a perfect rested G40 shot on the highlands but there was a gusting 40-45 mph crosswind, so I passed for obvious reasons. I saw another big buck last night shortly after shooting light who had silouhetted himself against a beautiful dark blue sky background but didn't take a shot. I'm zeroed in on em ....taking my climber out a lot until my trip is over (as the wind has finally died down from 30-40 mph to 3-5 mph) and hope to take a big-un' either tonight or in the morning.

Taterhead: you and me both! Based on the other data points I've seen, i'm thinking the 13.8gr WFN loading will make close to 1400 fps in my 6" KKM (and we will all know within a few weeks or sooner. :) ) That said, i'm carrying the 13.2gr loading since it's what I had left from testing but will likely settle on ~13.5gr as it was just before the significant recoil began in my tests (remember: the recoil was significant in a G40....)
OK Dood. How'd it go? Hoping you did well!

Yeah, Shadow and I been wondering if Nick got lost in the woods !!!! ;)

Where you at hoss ??

CanyonMan
LOL - I'd have you conference me in but -- well I be workin. :)

That said - let's get one thing straight: nickE10mm does NOT get lost in the woods. He sometimes dozes off under a tree though.....

More later, gents!

LOL - I'd have you conference me in but -- well I be workin. :)

That said - let's get one thing straight: nickE10mm does NOT get lost in the woods. He sometimes dozes off under a tree though.....

More later, gents!

LOL... OK, I believe ya !

After all those text, and the mode of excitement you were in, Shadow and I were looking forward to pics of a monster buck man ! But as long as you had a great time....... !

Give us a shout amigo !

CanyonMan

121 - 140 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.