Glock Talk banner
101 - 120 of 146 Posts
I am finally going to test #9 with the 200gr cast mihec mold in my carbine. Been wanting to do this since last fall. So I am working from 13 gr to 15 gr( full case oal of 1.256). will shoot them later today or tomorrow.

If I remember I was only able to get it to just under 1700 with 800x. Hoping with the way this burns I can get over 1800. If I can it would be an amazing deer load.

I am finally going to test #9 with the 200gr cast mihec mold in my carbine. Been wanting to do this since last fall. So I am working from 13 gr to 15 gr( full case oal of 1.256). will shoot them later today or tomorrow.

If I remember I was only able to get it to just under 1700 with 800x. Hoping with the way this burns I can get over 1800. If I can it would be an amazing deer load.
Looking forward to seeing the results!

Well that was a bust. Best that 15 gr did was 1658. And light smile. 800x still seems to be the best option for nuclear power in the 10mm.

To add, 14 to 15gr only added about 30 fps. It's like the powder topped off.

Got out to chrono some loads today and got some impressive numbers, especially with my 6" Fusion.

I shot a ladder out of my G20SF (stock 4.6" bbl, Wolff 22lb RSA)
I also shot one round of the the max AA9 load from my Fusion 6" 1911 Hunter.

200gr XTP over Accurate #9 (the newest version of the powder, flattened ball)
CCI300 primers
new Starline brass
92 deg, sweltering

Here are the numbers....
Data format is as follows: LO-HI-AVG-ES-SD
I'll be measuring the cases later but no smiles and no obvious signs of pressure other than some normal swelling from the G20 loads.

12.4gr
1147-1183-1161-36.4-15.9

12.6gr
(error, accidentally shot these on the prior string, corrupting the data ... I did see small velocity increase as expected, FWIW)

12.8gr
1169-1197-1185-28.2-11.9

13.0gr
1187-1211-1201-23.7-11.5

13.2gr
1215-1220-1217-4.2-3.6

The following string was from my 6" Fusion 1911 Hunter

13.2gr
1360-1382-1371-21.9-15.5 <--- HOLY SCHNEIKIES!!!

I'm a little skeptical of this particular string. I WAS a good 12-14ft back from the chrono so I believe this to be good data... but I will be revisiting this one. I would EXPECT about 1260-1290fps going from the 4.6" to 6" so this is a little surprising Very high numbers from the 6" fully supported Fusion barrel. Absolutely no case swell and the load felt really good... less recoil that I remember my nuclear Longshot loads in the same pistol that didn't get this level of velocity. I'm guessing that the combination of heavy bullet, slow powder and new cases allowed this load to really build up some steam.

I will be loading lots more of the 13.0 and 13.2gr AA9 / 200gr XTP's for further accuracy testing with both the G20SF and the Fusion for deer season this fall. Smasher of a load and, from what I've seen with OTHER Accurate loads through this Glock, will probably be EXTREMELY ACCURATE with low relative pressure.

I also fired a quick string of 13.5gr AA9 over a Rainier HP from the G20SF. Here are the numbers.

13.5gr
1129-1236-1188-106.9-45.5

This load seems a bit slow since I thought it would be making 1200+ on every shot. I'll probably shoot a few more of these to double check for consistency. SUPER accurate load though, as I shot quite a few 1" groups with the G20SF/FF3 at the range on my last trip.

I also have quite a few more loads to test using both WSF and 800X (IMR) but that will have to come later. It was too hot today and those results will obviously be in their proper respective threads here on GT 10mm loading forum.

Here are a few pics of where I was shooting today....
http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/nickE10mm/library/PAPAs land - chrono tests - July 2014

Have a good one, guys!

Nice report Nick. You finally put that bottle of A9 to good use.

My velocities are shockingly close to yours: within 5 fps on each ladder (EDIT: with the G20) ! Differences are that I use a WLP, and the stock RSA.

I like that you can get 1200 fps with a 200 grainer, while sticking to Hornady book data!! All that with a 4.6" barrel. That is one of the top 3 most precise loads through the big 20.

Yep, I agree that more testing through the Fusion is on order. Sounds a touch quick, all things considered. Please report back, since I'm very curious.

One interesting phenomenon that I found with 180 XTPs is that the velocities at given charge weights are almost identical to those with 200s. Yondering had a similar observation. The 180s wake up past 14.0 grains.

I agree, nice report Nick.

Your Fusion numbers might be accurate. I have had as much as 150fps between my stock G20 barrel and a 6" KKM, using Blue Dot and 180gr jacketed. I thought I had similar results when I ran some #9 through those same barrels, but I couldn't find any record I had done it. IME that extra 1.4" makes a pretty big difference with the slower powders.

Thanks Nick, great report! I know about the sweltering down here...
Although I still have some of the older "microbead" AA#9, I picked up a pound of the newer AA#9 in a recent transaction. That will allow me some comparisons of both.

Yes, much like the 9x25Dillon the longer barrel does seem to wake up velocities a bit. :)

Although I still have some of the older "microbead" AA#9, I picked up a pound of the newer AA#9 in a recent transaction. That will allow me some comparisons of both.

Yes, much like the 9x25Dillon the longer barrel does seem to wake up velocities a bit. :)
I found some newer aa9 that I forgot I had, yard sale about
8 years ago, and an old can from about 1988 that I will have to try.

Did you ever load the hot Parabellum Research 200gr FMJ at
the top of this page?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak5OC6bPsjO8dEh6eGZ3N3hpUU13SXM5cm9pZy16T0E#gid=7

When I tested that load from my S&W 1006...Tested 11/29/2012 PBR-Parabellum Research 200 Gr. FMJ Velocity: 1140 fps, case expansion measurement&#8217;s: Diameter 0.4270&#8221; primer slightly flat. I never really get as high a number from my CHRONY as Intercooler gets...they should be near 1240 to 1250 according to all the info...

Nice!

By the way, I just now finally got around to measuring the case swell on that AA9 ladder I did a couple posts back.

Going from 12.6 to 13.2gr AA9 in my STOCK G20SF barrel, not a single case was over .4335" and most were right at .4330". My barrel's observed max is .4350" or so.

Not bad for a 1200+ fps XTP load from a stock barrel!

Thanks Nick, Both my Glock 20SF and Glock 29 factory barrels, hold at 0.4340" Maximum, anything larger is starting to flow into the feed ramp, although the case support has been good.

One of the flattest primers I ever had was with AA#9 during the Barnes 140 TAC-XP test, someone mentioned that possibly the microbead formulation was getting inside the primer pocket...
12.6 grains of AA#9 (had to adjust powder shoving the bullet back out 1.270")(Totally compressed @ 12.6 gr.) @ 1181 fps, Primer was totally flattened to the edges. It penetrated 5" of sandy dirt and the bullet failed to open, partially folded in on itself. Case expanded to 0.4280&#8221;
OH BTW, that newer pound of AA#9 is also microbead and not the flattened ball others have been seeing.

Thanks Nick, Both my Glock 20SF and Glock 29 factory barrels, hold at 0.4340" Maximum, anything larger is starting to flow into the feed ramp, although the case support has been good.

One of the flattest primers I ever had was with AA#9 during the Barnes 140 TAC-XP test, someone mentioned that possibly the microbead formulation was getting inside the primer pocket...

OH BTW, that newer pound of AA#9 is also microbead and not the flattened ball others have been seeing.
Very interesting!

I always had extremely flattened primers when I used AA7 with any medium to hot load but I didn't notice much flattening at all with this round of hot AA9 loads in either my Fusion fully supported barrel OR my stock G20 barrel.

Another interesting point is that this particular G20SF barrel (my most recent G20) seems quite a bit looser than my last G29SF barrel, yet I've been able to run what seems to be a bit hotter loads through it before seeing pressure signs. Just goes to show, each firearm has its unique "personality".

As for the recently acquired batch of microbead AA9... you said it was "new".... what is the year of manufacture for that lot? I figured that microbead is out of production by now. Did you get a "new" bottle of the "old" formula or did you just mean that the bottle is "new to you"? (if that makes sense... lol)

I'm going to buy several pounds of the new formula of AA9 as soon as I find some and have some free cash. The stuff is nice... and ACCURATE! :)

The New AA#9, was new to me and sealed, as purchased from a local guy that was moving. I just went and took another look at it and it is the newer formulation. The quick look at what was stuck to the foam seal just appeared to be the microbeads. But when I dumped some in the scale pan it was the newer flatten ball formulation...Yea! :)

Those Barnes 140 gr TAC-XP bullet are very long, same length as the 200 gr. Hornady XTP, the load was compressed for that testing.

Nick, I completely agree with liking 1200 + fps from a stock gun while staying "on book."

The micro-spheres were likely the Belgian-made stuff. The USA lots have the micro flattened spherical shape. I have used a bunch of both. I think the USA lots are a bit superior (velocities, temp sensitivity, consistency) except it might be ever-so-slightly dirtier. The shapes were also identical for the Belgian vs. USA lots of A7 too.

I agree, nice report Nick.

Your Fusion numbers might be accurate. I have had as much as 150fps between my stock G20 barrel and a 6" KKM, using Blue Dot and 180gr jacketed. I thought I had similar results when I ran some #9 through those same barrels, but I couldn't find any record I had done it. IME that extra 1.4" makes a pretty big difference with the slower powders.
Hey Wee.... I'd missed your post until now :)shocked:).

Anyhow... I have seen 180's jump quite a bit during my old 800X nuclear experiments from back in the day but nothing recently has made as big of a difference in heavy bullet velocity... so, if it IS correct, WOW! Even IF the load is only making 1250-1275 (rather than 1370), it STILL a huge load with a 200gr XTP considering book data. Either way, I'm impressed.

I'm literally 4-5 days away from my second daughter being born but I've got an itinerary set right now to get out and shoot in the next week or three and do some accuracy testing with some full power loads from the G20. I'll be anxious to compare several loads in the accuracy dept.

I found the one post with some data for the Beartooth 200 gr WFNGC, & they look good. just wondering if anyone else has used that specific bullet, & what kind of charges are you using? I'm planning on building up some woods loads with it for my EAA Stock 1.
thanks!

followup from march. worked up 2 loads, one for wods work & the other for "social" work.
using the 200gr WFNGC, 13.5gr AA#9 & new starline brass, I'm getting about 1275fps out of my Stock 1. I tried some Blue Dot. Holy Fireballs Batman! same using Power Pistol with a 180 gr target load.
went to 10.5 gr AA#7 under a 180gr plated TC for my target load.
the SD load I ended going with is the 155gr Gold Dot over 14.5gr of AA#7. that one is running right around 1450. 13+1 of that oughta do the trick... you'd swear the milk jugs tagged with one of these had been hit with a rifle shooting frangible varmint ammo. as close to vaporized as it gets with a pistol...
now I'm looking into the 200gr XTP for deer hunting.

Hello everyone. I made some 10mm loads using Accurate #7. Test gun was G29 Gen4. Here are the numbers:

Powder Charge: 10.1gn
Bullet: Hornady 180gn FMJ FP
Avg velocity: 1038fps (max 1046, min 1011)
PF: 186

Powder Charge: 10.8gn
Bullet: Berrys Plated 165gn FP
Avg velocity: 1098fps (max 1114, min 1074)
PF: 181

Powder Charge: 10.8gn
Avg velocity: 1140fps (max 1135, min 1070)
PF: 205

Powder Charge: 11.3gn
Avg velocity: 1115fps (max 1188, min 1086)
PF: 183

Powder Charge: 11.8gn
Avg velocity: 1178fps (max 1176, min 1155)
PF: 194

Powder Charge: 11.8gn
Avg velocity: 1197fps (Max 1215, Min 1175)
PF: 215

Sig Sauer SD factory hollow point ammo 180gn.
Advertised velocity 1250fps.
My test 5 shot average 1152fps

I like this powder. it has a nice kick and at about 11.3gn starts to produce a nice flash. Once I get my hands on some BlueDot I will test some more loads.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.