close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Accurate 2230 + Lee powder disk measure

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Mar 26, 2010.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Does this sound right? I only ask because I'm losing faith in my digital scale by the day, I generally have to screw with it a bit just to get it to turn off, that said the little calibration weight always comes up at 50g

I'm mixing load data here, because between the interwebs and my little lee guide, I don't have exact data, but I was shooting for 22gr for my 55gr FMJBT .223 round. According to the chart that can with my Lee dies, I should be getting 23.4gr out of the 1.46 disk (recommended start load for a 53gr FMJ) and 22.1gr out of the 1.36 disk. I tried those disks, and ended up in the 1.57 disk and getting a consistent 22.8gr of powder. Like I said, I was hoping someone else out there metered 2230 out of a powder disk measure, I'd really hate to be ridiculously overcharging.

One more question on that topic, I set my OAL to 2.230 (53gr bullet data said 2.225, 60gr data said 2.235, so I split the difference). I got most of my rounds within my +/- .005 margin that I'm comfortable with, but ended up with a round at 2.215 and one at 2.220. At the low end of the powder charge (IIRC 2230 can go up to 25gr) are these still going to be too short and spike my pressure too much? I think I located the problem the short rounds, there were some burrs inside my seating die that I polished down.. I just wanted to know if I should trash those rounds or not.

2. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

3. Motown Fire

Motown Fire Everett

I would not trash the rounds. I know when I get a slight difference in OAL it's because of the primer not seating completely. As for the powder measure, I had to use a few sizes larger on my Lee Powder Disk. Depending on the powder being used, it may not measure perfect every time. Don't sweat a tenth or two of a grain in your loads unless you are pushing the upper limits of the load. Try the different holes on the disk's to find out what one gives you the closest load you want.