close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Accuracy

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by brokenprism, Aug 15, 2012.

1. brokenprism

brokenprism

Gotta make this fast, daughter needs computer.

What can be done to a stock Glock to make it more accurate? Maybe this has been asked to death, but I can't find it. My G22 has a nice tight slide-to-frame fit, and I'm buying a KKM barrel for the supported chamber. they apparently have a unique rifling method that is neither polygonal or (I forget). I think it's a button rifled barrel.

What else can I do to wring all the accuracy out of this gun possible? I shoot 180 HST.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. tonyparson

tonyparson

Keep your stock barrel, it has plenty of chamber support. Use the money you were going to spend on the barrel and buy ammo. The more you shoot your Glock the more accurate you will become with it. :thumbsup:

3. rimshaker

rimshaker

Perfect your grip, stance, and dry fire routine.

The gun itself is fine 99% of the time. Accuracy is up to the shooter.

4. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

This. I had an interesting experience this summer. I had rotator cuff surgery on my dominant right side. My son wanted to go to the range so I tagged along, still in a sling, not really intending to shoot but I took a few of my Glocks for his GF to try. After a while, I couldn't stand it so I picked up my G17 and started shooting left-handed. At first, I was pretty wild. After I reminded myself of the basics, I started hitting bulls eyes at 7 and then 15 yards. I was even able to hit a few 50 yard steel plates left-handed. It was like learning to shoot all over but a great reminder of how important technique is.

5. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

You might also experiment with other brands of ammo. Not all guns like the same ammo.

6. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

Find a book called The Pistol Shooters Treasury by Gil Hebard, read it at least twice, preferable three times. Practice Dry Firing and don't give up! That Glock 22 will shoot small groups!

7. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

:agree: Button rifling is not unique it has been around for quite some time. See this for different rifling methods used. http://bettincustomguns.com/Technical Information/Barrel rifling techniques.htm
    Button rifling can produce some very fine barrels as other methods of rifling do also.
    Your factory Glock barrel is a cold hammer forged barrel. When you understand how it is produced you may have a different outlook,also read hammer forged method. SJ 40

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

When you can shoot sub 4inch groups, hand held with your Glock, then you are ready for a Bar-Sto fitted match barrel. Until then, but practice ammo. Right now your pistol is far more accurate than you.

9. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

This. Practice, practice, practice. I was really surprised at the difference an identical caliber but different size (sub, compact etc. ) Glock makes.

10. MajorD

MajorD

I wish you would define accuracy- combat accuracy with a glock is not even in the same class as say 50 yard bullseye competition accuracy with a .22. A glock is designed to be about a 3-4 inch at 25 yard grouper and that is it. it IS a combat gun NOT a target gun. If you are not getting under 5 inch 25 yard groups hand held there is nothing to fix except the shooter. Danny R says not to bother getting an after market barrel until you are shooting sub 4 inch groups- IMO by the time you are shooting sub 4 inch groups with a glock you have come close to reaching the limit of the mechanical capability of the design. I can shoot sub 3 inch groups at 25 with my stock glock- when I need to be more accurate it is time to accept you need a different gun. Trying to get a glock to be a lazer accurate gun is a bit like swimming up stream - you may some day get there but the effort required is not worth it.
    I explain to non shooters even that shooting is like golf one club will not answer every need.

11. DocWills

DocWills

heavier rsa will increase lock time and up the bar a bit:supergrin:

12. brokenprism

brokenprism

Disclaimer first: everyone who said that the gun already shoots better than me is absolutely correct. All my guns have always shot better than me. Trigger control and practice will be huge in this quest, and I'll focus on that and report back.

"Truth be told, a glock is designed to be about a 3-4 inch at 25 yard grouper and that is it."

This 'truth' is what I had in mind when I asked the question. Thanks for all the helpful (and remarkably consistent) replies, by the way. I have combat accuracy in mind, and I know it's good enough for that, but I'd like to discuss why this statement is true (or just accepted as true). I'll hit this again after work.

13. PAGunner

PAGunner

YouTube search Glock 27 200 yards and watch hickok45 make metal ring, not special ammo. If that's not accurate enough for you, nothing will be. The gun and any ammo you run will be more accurate than you, this doesn't just apply to Glocks, it's a general rule of thumb.

14. barth

barth six barrels

+1
    Well said.

15. brokenprism

brokenprism

PA, that certainly is good enough for me. I've made myself misunderstood here -- I wasn't asking about combat accuracy, or plinking, which is what Hickock was doing, so my bad for not being more clear. I was trying to get at the subject of pure mechanical accuracy, and whether a gun like the Glock, with some looseness built into the design for the sake of dependability, could be made to shoot cloverleafs. From a ransom rest, let's say -- take the shooter's skill, trigger control, breathing, etc., out of the picture. Someone on the caliber forum said the Glock was an 8" gun at 50 yds, and that started me thinking. Yeah, it can shoot better than me now as a stock gun (my hand is not perfectly steady, I sometimes flinch, etc.), but there is also the possibility of compensating for some of that with better parts. Isn't there? If Glock 22 slide + barrel + fit yields accuracy results A, and Les Baer + slide + barrel + fit yields results B, why couldn't a Glock, with a snug slide and a better barrel, also yield results B?

I acknowledge that the .45 is inherently accurate. This may contribute something to LB's success. How does the .40 stack up in the inherent accuracy department? Thanks.

16. Dawolf

Dawolf

I have a partially torn rotator cuff. I went to a isosceles stance which took the pressure of my right shoulder and more accuracy improved greatly. Improved my trigger control as well (no shoulder twitching).

17. SIGlock

SIGlock Millennium Member

A nice tight slide-to-frame fit is more important for a 1911. However, the Glock design is not the same as the 1911. So, this tight fit doesn't really help to increase the accuracy that much.

You must be a 1911 guy in previous life....or don't know much about Glock design.

Anyway, I found that the Glock's stock barrel is the most accurate one that you can get. Keep it. Buy the KKM barrel, etc. if you want shoot reload (lead).

Two things you can do to improve the accuracy:

1. Change the ammo. If you are a good shooter, you can tell the difference from one ammo to the next. Otherwise, you are not ready for this yet....unless you are a good shooter.

2. Perfect practice makes perfect. Lots of folks here tell you to practice, practice, practice. I tell you: You are not going to improve if you keep making the same mistakes every time you shoot (practice). Know how to work on the Glock trigger. Get some Glock expert advice and make a change in your old habits (from a different platform....like a 1911 may be?)

18. SIGlock

SIGlock Millennium Member

19. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Leave it alone amigo, and shoot the heck out of it... You do not need a AM barrel. We shoot Glocks in all calibers out here on the ranch out to 600yds... I personally don't do well at that range with aging eyes, but at 300 on in with the stock barrel in any caliber Glock, they are tremendously accurate.. You just need to shoot ! You can take this advice, or spend money needlessly, and take short cuts to try to be roy rogers..

Practice make perfect. MY Oem barrels will out shoot any AM barrel.. It is because I shoot all the time. You do that, and you won't need short cuts and you can spend your hard earned money on ammo, or hand load. I tried "one more AM" the other day, like a moron, a KKM for a G29. Nothing but trouble with it, and it would not come remotely close to the accuracy of the OEM barrel.. Sent it back ! Refund !

Do what ya want. But ya already got the best barrel your going to get. ;)

Good shooting !

CM

20. brokenprism

brokenprism

Yes, and... yes.

You know what? I've never personally had a bad experience with Glock accuracy. I was blown away by how accurate the G21 was. I get good groups as is, and I let that random comment (by someone who may or may not know what he's talking about) in Caliber Corner send me down a rabbit trail. I got lots of good advice here, and I will practice, and then practice.

I'll pass on the aftermarket barrels entirely and buy a Glock 17. I want a full-size Glock to shoot white box ammo out of. Also, having a 9 will solve the ammunition supply problem when the UN invades.

BTW, my carry ammo is 180 gr HST. It has always been accurate for me in any caliber I tried.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012