Accidentally shot a few rounds of 380 in my G19...

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 22highcaps, Aug 7, 2016.

1. 22highcaps

22highcaps

I had a few rounds of 380 mixed in with my 9mm mags unfortunately and managed to shoot 2-4 rounds before I figured out why it was stove piping.

The gun did not explode. It just stove piped on every round of 380. The brass did not seem to be bulged but the primers were completely punctured.

Is it likely that I damaged something? What should I look for (besides 380 in my mags)?

Is there anything I should automatically replace as a precaution?

2. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

I think you are fine. I accidentally fired a Blazer 9mm in my G35 40. No damage at all

3. JMag

JMag

Just your mag-loading skills...

----------------------
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.--Sir Winston Churchill

gt joe and 22highcaps like this.
  4. porschedog

porschedog

much better than if you did the opposite, 9mm in a 380. That might have been more interesting . Glad you and gun are ok.

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  5. 22highcaps

22highcaps

Thanks. I cleaned the gun and it looks just fine.

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

That's as bad as firing .38 Special in a .357 Magnum revolver...except that works fine.

You have nothing to worry about. You did the same amount of damage as my example above does. :)

7. drewcog

drewcog

+1 NBD. I have started (intentionally) shooting 40S&W out of my 10mm G20 with no ill-effects. Like Mike said, its like shooting a 38Spc out of a 357Mag. Just not enough pressure to cycle the slide on your G19.

8. APERS

APERS

I've wondered if that was possible. Not that I own a 10mm or anything. Interesting for sure!

9. Schrag4

Schrag4

I'm curious why the primers would be "completely punctured." Any ideas? They should be the same Small Pistol Primers that are used in 9mm, 40S&W, etc.

10. njl

njl Crusty Member

.380 won't headspace properly in a 9mm chamber. I wonder if with just the extractor holding the case against the breach face, there was enough play to let case bounce against the striker?

I use the exact same small pistol primers for .380, 9mm, and .38spl.

Dave Shooter likes this.
  11. drewcog

drewcog

That is my understanding based on the article below, which led me to try 40S&W in my G20. Works great.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/40-in-a-10mm-glock/

hannstv and jazzsax8 like this.
  12. njl

njl Crusty Member

I've heard of others shooting .40 in 10mm, and I assume you don't get pierced primers. I don't load 10mm, and am too lazy to google/go upstairs to look in the Speer #14, so I don't know how the cartridge dimensions other than length compare for 10mm/.40. .380 is not just a shorter 9mm though. It's a lower pressure, thinner walled cartridge, so in addition to there being front-to-back slop chambering .380 in a 9mm barrel, there's also likely to be excessive side to side slop, letting the cartridge really rattle around in the chamber.

13. jazzsax8

jazzsax8

The article on .40 S&W in the Glock 10mm is right on the money!

14. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Your OK, check the bbl closely, but my wife has "Accidentally" fired a few 9mm rounds in my .40 G-22, seems my G-22 and her G-17 look alike (to her) always my fault eh? I do not leave both Glocks on the firing table anymore.

15. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

That's a plausible idea, and I agree that the primers are not different between those calibers.

I can't imagine that the gun of this thread is damaged, but a steady diet of pierced primers would stand at least some chance of eroding the firing pin in an unpredictable way. That shouldn't be a problem for someone willing to learn from a mistake, though.

16. FLA45fan

FLA45fan

Please be very careful with this. I ran a store/range in Florida a few years ago and a guy mistakenly fired 9mm in his Glock. It ran down the pipe but the brass didn't eject, the next round pushed the brass down the barrel and when it fired . . . Kaboom! The mag blew out the bottom, the barrel bulged and stuck in the slide, and a major hand bruising occured! Lucky for him the Glock wasn't further damaged. Glock took care of it, but it cost him.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  17. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

I have used 380 in 9mm range sessions for "ball & dummy" drills....firing the 380 in the G-19 for instance, duplicates a failure to eject malfunction...forcing an immediate action drill to get the platform up and running again...it is an effective method for practicing your Type-II failure dills....typically, I will randomly load 2 or 3 rounds in the mag for the training drill...if I want to make it more challenging, I will place 2 together, to create back-to-back failures...that always gets a good reaction from the shooter

18. dudel

dudel

Doubt that a 9mm would have gone to battery in a .380 chamber. Both headspace on the case mouth.

19. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

I ran a mag of 45gap down my 21 before I noticed it. I bought several boxes of supposedly 45acp. There was a box of gap amongst them and it was the first box that I grabbed when I started shooting. Wasn't paying attention when I loaded them. The 21 functioned as perfect as could be. I did break it down and did a thorough inspection before shooting again. All was well.

20. dudel

dudel

Extractor can (but not always) hold the round enough for the firing pin to ignite. While it can work, it's not a great idea as it does put extra stress on the extractor. The rounds (380, 9mm, 40 and 10mm) were designed to headspace on the case mouth. The case mouth in the chamber is what limits the forward travel of the round. When the firing pin strikes the primer, the round is being positioned in the chamber by the case mouth which is much stronger than the extractor. The extractor's job is to pull the case from the chamber; not hold it in position for the firing pin. You can get away with it for a while; but not a great idea.

Also, not the same as shooting 38Spl/44Spl in a 357Mag/44Mag gun. Those rounds headspace on the rim (not the case mouth).