Accidentally out'd myself at the store, sky didn't fall

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Diesel_Bomber, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Was at the grocery store this morning, buying veggies. Reached up to grab a plastic bag at higher-than-head level, and my jacket tail caught on my arm and came up, exposing my Glock to the world. I calmly smoothed my jacket back down and kept selecting veggies.

Store security did not descend to ensnare me, police did not get called to prone me out in handcuffs and run my CHL. I didn't even get a nasty look from the milfy soccer mom who saw it, too.

The little boy next to me goes "Whoa, cool!" and his grandfather(I'm guessing) said "I prefer the 1911 myself." I said "Yes sir, the 1911 is a very fine firearm." Noticed his Vietnam Vet hat, extended my hand, and thanked him for his service to our country. Wished them both a nice day and continued on with my shopping.

The whole "ZOMG am I printing!!!111!!?" thing is vastly overblown. For the most part, it's no big deal. I OC frequently, and even then very few people notice. No one cares, at least around my corner of the world.

Before you all go nuts, yes I'm well aware that in many states that concealed means concealed and that printing is illegal. Know your laws, and follow them.

ETA: This all took place in Oregon.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Yeah, I keep telling people they could carry a 12 Ga strapped on their side and not many would even notice. It takes a while for people to believe me :)

3. firefyter55

firefyter55

I believe here in AZ that due to open carry laws, even if you accidently display a firearm in such a fashion as you did, there is nothing wrong with it. I personally have never heard of "printing" If you care to explain more feel free to PM me.

Also when I lived in the Seattle area concealed is the only legal way to carry. I was at a grocery store and swept my jacket back to get my wallet and didnt think about the Glock on my side. The cashier was gone faster than I could blink, leaving me standing there with no clue what was going on. The manager came up cautiously and explained the situation. I told him I had a CCW and was legal to carry. No cops, no security and the manager said he felt safer knowing I was carrying. The cashier appologized.

4. chief

chief

printing - the outline of the weapon can be seen pressed against your clothing.

5. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Yep, open carry is legal here too, with a CHL. Printing or OC'ing, doesn't matter, but most people seem to think that everyone around them is constantly scanning them for some hint of anything out of the ordinary, and that all hell will break loose if anybody so much as gets a hint that someone is carrying a gun. Simply not true.

I realize that different parts of the country are more receptive to firearms, and that I seem to be in one of the better spots, but I wonder how often these people who are so worried actually carry their guns. My fear of being spotted disappeared within a week of carrying, and now I OC frequently.

6. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

That is an opsec failure. You should be more careful.

7. Max1775

Max1775 Marine Infidel

Stand down Marine...

8. rg1

rg1

Used to be a large Flea Market-Antique Show at the exposition center the same time as a large gun show. People carried all kinds of guns through the Antique show, after attending the gun show, with 100's to 1000's of people and no mass panic. In fact I watched peoples reactions and most all were just admiring the guns. It's the anti-gun media and anti-gun politicians that are against people owning and carrying guns. The general public have no problems with law abiding citizens and their guns.

9. rfenster

rfenster Where's the Kaboom? CLM

Don't ask, don't tell.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

As with all things in life, location is important.

Good for you that this happened to you as you portray it.

'Drew

11. Bello

Bello America/Italia

i used to carry in va beach... i would have a inside the waistband holster with my g27 in my pocket sticking out with the clip attached to my pocket no one ever said a word i carried like that all the time.. maybe its considered open idk but i felt it was easily carried that way

12. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I had my jacket catch on mine on my way out of the movie theatre once. A lady grabbed the on duty cop and he followed me out to make sure I was legal. He was cool though. He said she told him I had a gun and he said "It's Indiana maam, most of these people probably have guns." :rofl:

13. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Lighten up people...

14. jordanmills

jordanmills

where is "here"? I thought Texas was the only place that called it a CHL, but we don't have OC

15. farley45

farley45

Both of these seem to be accurate.

16. snappy

snappy

You know, it's not big deal if you're weapon happens to be exposed. Even if someone notices they have no idea if you're law enforcement or something or not, they don't pay it a bit of attention. I think we worry way to much about printing or being seen.

17. Jca1386

Jca1386

In the lovely state of CT you are issued "a permit carry pistols and revolvers" Nothing on the permit states is has to be concealed. Now you have to carry the firearm In such a way that It doesn't cause alarm. Brandishing is one thing but the accidental holster/partial gun shown by bending/stooping/reaching is NOT considered brandishing.

As far as printing...I walked into the liquor store last week grabbed some stuff off a high counter, paid for the booze and walked out. Only then did I realize that my jacket had lifted up and over my od 19 on my right hip...

Nobody said anything or looked concerned. And I am in a right-wingers hell!

Joe

18. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

:wow::rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Oregon.

My apologies.

20. k594

k594

concealed, open carried,printing,whatever u want here in Arizona no one cares