GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
One other safety on the 1911's to consider as possibly being problematical, is the grip safety.

Once I started shooting guns with a low bore axis, like the Glocks, I started having troubles with my 1911's and engaging the grip safety while trying to get that high Glock grip on the gun.

The web of my hand wants to push up on the tail of the GS, which tends to engage it and block the trigger.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Think it depends on the model firearm.

Some are much easier to use as your thumb rests on the safety automatically pushing it down with no easy way to accidentally push it up. My P226 SAO is like this.

·
Registered
14,405 Posts
I've carried, shot and competed with SA's for decades. I never had an issue with accidentally engaging the safety on a 1911. I did however, have that problem with a CZ 75TS. The first knuckle on the index finger of my strong had would push up on the ambi safety on the right side of the pistol. Even if my thumb was riding the safety on the left side.
This is a big problem for large hands. I converted my ambi 1911s to single side.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
This is a big problem for large hands. I converted my ambi 1911s to single side.
Indeed. I was going to do that too. Truth be told though is that the CZ slide is also too small in profile for me. In the end , it is a great pistol but the ergos just didn’t work for me. Oh....I forgot, the trigger was only 1.5 pounds. A wonderful trigger but I prefer about 3 pounds.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
After I got used to Glocks, my problem was not accidentally engaging the thumb safety, it was forgetting to take it off. Yes, it's a matter of training, but that's one of the issues when you like to shoot different kinds of pistols. So I don't EDC SAO pistols for that reason...that and super light triggers.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I went to a friends last night that owns a shadow 2. Played a lot w the safety. Im a lefty and the safety on the right side it tiny— I think it would be impossible for me to accidentally hit it. I dont think I can go wrong wither way.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Ride the safety with your thumb and it'll never engage on its own.
Only 40+ year supply of experience talking here, but this is the only way to go on a single action. You leave your thumb on top of the safety forcing it to stay in the down / off position
I know of no skilled shooter using a single action that does it any other way!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Only 40+ year supply of experience talking here, but this is the only way to go on a single action. You leave your thumb on top of the safety forcing it to stay in the down / off position
I know of no skilled shooter using a single action that does it any other way!
Those who might want a solid grip on the gun might differ here.

Ive never been able to keep a firm grip on my 1911's with my thumb on top of the safety. Doing so actually breaks my grip and in some instances, allows the grip safety to start to engage.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Greetings. I've been shooting my small stable of glocks for about a decade now. For a while one of those glocks was a PPQ, but I ditched it a while back for another glock. Effectively all my pistol shooting has been striker fired guns.

During that time, I've always wanted a CZ SP01 and just never had the funds, but an unexpected work bonus has changed that for me, and it's time to take the plunge. I'm actively on the hunt for one, and the plan is to get a CGW Pro Package almost immediately. I've always wanted one pistol w a good trigger, and those things are sexy. This thing will likely become my home defense weapon once complete.

I've been on the hunt for one w a safety, but one with a decocker arriving 15 minutes from home for a great price has got me questioning why..... like up too late researching the topic. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about now having to learn SAO manipulation, especially not enough to rely on it for my HD weapon. I know I can manually drop the hammer on it and run it in DA/SA if desired, so that alleviates that concern.

However, has anyone ever accidentally engaged the manual safety on their SAO during any sort of adrenaline educed excitement -- like competition or class? Is that a thing?

This would be my biggest concern for someone in a HD situation like my that's always shot striker fired pistols. The inability to use my weapon because of this would really suck, and I honestly can't commit to training enough to master this.

I wouldn't mind practicing SAO at the range to make myself look better on that first shot, but don't know that I want any extra risk for my HD weapon.

Thanks!
I've never accidentally engaged a safety on a SAO gun but I have on a Beretta 92FS which is a SA/DA gun. Did it during reloading during an IDPA match. Had it modified to decocker only. I have shot a lot with 1911 guns, never put one on safe by accident. The 92FS safety is on the slide and works backwards.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So last night I was able to find a place that had an sp-01 in BOTH safety and tactical (decocker) models. I walked out the door w the tactical. I don’t want to carry cocked and locked, I don’t want to change my grip to ride the safety, I don’t want to ever be concerned about ever accidentally engaging the safety. To top it all off the tactical was $10 cheaper, so it was a no brainer haha

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Those who might want a solid grip on the gun might differ here.

Ive never been able to keep a firm grip on my 1911's with my thumb on top of the safety. Doing so actually breaks my grip and in some instances, allows the grip safety to start to engage.
I'm the opposite, can't get a proper grip with my thumb anywhere else but on the safety, with 1911 or other guns with a 1911 safety location.

Things like CZ, different story and the reason I won't carry them cocked and locked.

For the grip safety? The only 1911s I own and most of those I've shot to any extent have bigger "bumps" on the grip safety, literally never has been a consideration, let alone worry for me.

Now, there is one single case where this does differ, and that's riding the thumb safety, single hand, on my R1 Enhanced double stack, hand is too small in this case. Again, why I pretty quickly discarded it as a carry/HD consideration.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
My first pistol I learned to shoot with was a single action 22lr pistol as a 6 year old as was my first purchase a old 1911 . I carried a 2 different thumb safety SA pistol for 13 years before moving to striker fired and stayed that way for 13 more years . Still had a 1911 in the safe to play with .

Hand surgery caused me to go to a wide pistol and a softer shooting cartridge so a double stack striker 9mm and my wife told me she could watch me sweep for a thumb safety like a 1911 with her 9mm m&p!! . Today my primary is a very stock p320c 40sw but have a 45acp lw commander , a m&p 4.25 40sw and a sig p365xl all with thumb safety's so it still natural for me to sweep for a thumb safety no matter if one there or not but I always preferred the small GI style lever on a 1911 and never had a problem tripping a slide stop or other brand safeties .

·
Retired Fed LEO. USMC late 1960s.
417 Posts
As stated in previous posts and taught by many (most?) shooting schools is always ride the safety. Train your muscle memory to always press downward on the safety as the sights come on target. I've seen many guys forget to disengage the safety during training or competition. It has happened to me. I've also seen guys forget to engage the safety prior to holstering. I've never seen anyone accidentally engage the safety. All that is why all of my EDC guns are not equipped with manual safeties.

·
Patrol Corporal
857 Posts
I think it goes without saying that pistols with manual safeties have been successfully used for a long time.

But, having been a firearms instructor for a long time I have seen some confusion and discontinuity with guns with manual safeties. This being on a range where stress is at a minimum.

That said, there’s nothing wrong with pistols with safeties but I think for defensive guns, the simpler, the better. No chance of forgetting to off the safety to get to work and no chance on forgetting to reapply the safety when the job is done.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts